Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzaborn View Post
Has anyone ripped CD's directly to the HD using the CD drive? Do we have any idea what format the output file is, what encoder is used, and at what bitrate is used? Are the rip/encode settings available to chose via iDrive? I don't think I've heard of anyone that has used/tried this but am interested in the ease and quailty.

I also have a question about mp3's playing via the car. Many albums now have songs that run together (as one song), with no silence in between. One recent album example is Coldplay's Mylo Xyloto. I wanted to know how the car handles this when playing an mp3 album? Do you hear a tiny gap from one song to the next with mp3 playback as opposed to the seamless transition you get when playing the CD? Is that unavoidable? I also am curious how playback is in this instance if you rip the CD to the HD using the CD drive.
Anyone? TIA.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 335i
Quote:
Has anyone ripped CD's directly to the HD using the CD drive? Do we have any idea what format the output file is, what encoder is used, and at what bitrate is used? Are the rip/encode settings available to chose via iDrive? I don't think I've heard of anyone that has used/tried this but am interested in the ease and quailty.

I also have a question about mp3's playing via the car. Many albums now have songs that run together (as one song), with no silence in between. One recent album example is Coldplay's Mylo Xyloto. I wanted to know how the car handles this when playing an mp3 album? Do you hear a tiny gap from one song to the next with mp3 playback as opposed to the seamless transition you get when playing the CD? Is that unavoidable? I also am curious how playback is in this instance if you rip the CD to the HD using the CD drive.
There are no settings for ripping CDs and the bitrate/format is not described anywhere. It could not be any easier of a process.

I can only speak for playing songs from the hard drive because I have an iPod for my mp3s--it is not seamless in between tracks even if it was on the CD.
2012 Alpine White F30 328i Leather Dakota Everest Grey/Sport Line/Premium/Premium Sound/Technology/STEPTRONIC/Rear View Camera/Heated Front Seats/Park Distance Control/Xenons/BMW Assist w/Enhanced USB/BMW Apps
Old 01-11-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabadoo25 View Post
There are no settings for ripping CDs and the bitrate/format is not described anywhere. It could not be any easier of a process.

I can only speak for playing songs from the hard drive because I have an iPod for my mp3s--it is not seamless in between tracks even if it was on the CD.
thanks for the info shabadoo25.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:26 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:

Rip by CD into the HDD is WMA at 128kbps by default.

Last edited by Technic; 01-11-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:14 AM

Mein Auto: ~
The car rips to WMA, a lossy compressed format.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:50 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
The car rips to WMA, a lossy compressed format.
Working all day with wav files I just stick that sucker name in my response when I meant WMA.

Quote:
Rip Function

This function rips commercially available audio CDs (marked with the Compact Disk Digital Audio logo) and converts them to compressed music files.

This function can be performed when the vehicle is stationary or while driving.

The music on the CD can also be played back during the conversion and storage process of the rip function.

The music data is converted at a speed between 3 and 12 times the playback speed. Following the conversion the music data is stored on the hard disk in WMA file format.

The data is then displayed in the form of file folders in the music collection menu. These folders are identified with the corresponding title and with a round CD icon.

After the conversion process the files will be displayed and can now be selected individually by using the music search function.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Working all day with wav files I just stick that sucker name in my response when I meant WMA.
Very understandable.

I use BWF so it would be unlikely for me to make the same typo.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:39 PM

So seemless playback of two songs that via CD seem like one song, is really unachievable regardless of ripper/encoder or format? I'm not an iPhone/iPod guy... but when you rip via iTunes two songs that have seemless playback on the CD, during digital playback is there always a tiny gap?
Old 01-11-2013, 03:24 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
So seemless playback of two songs that via CD seem like one song, is really unachievable regardless of ripper/encoder or format? I'm not an iPhone/iPod guy... but when you rip via iTunes two songs that have seemless playback on the CD, during digital playback is there always a tiny gap?
The HDD cannot do gapless...
Old 01-11-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The HDD cannot do gapless...
The Holy Grail for many network based playback systems.