Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 01-05-2013, 08:16 PM

Mein Auto: X5
driver side valve cover is tied down and can't be removed?

hey guys, I'm doing the valve cover gaskets on my 2001 X5 4.4i everything is going fine except I can't remove the driver side valve cover? The only thing obstructing it now is a thick loom cable that runs right over top of it, essentially tying it down. It goes back under the middle of the engine at the top and where it wraps around the side downward it goes to a T connector and it's locked in place. There's not enough room to even lift the cover over the bolts to try and slide it out. Any suggestions?
Advertisement
Old 01-06-2013, 03:44 PM
Propellers Up Front

Mein Auto: Some Bavarian car outside
If you're talking about the harness that runs up alongside the vent tube, then it shouldn't be tying it down. Eight nuts around the spark plugs and three bolts up front on each side. If you've accounted for all that, and removed the coils and earth strap, you just need to pry on the cover between it and the gasket. If its been on there a long time, it would be difficult to remove. Persistence and rough hands. That cable isn't holding it down, or shouldn't be.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:34 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Got it sorted. Man was it a bear though. The cable that was essentially "tying" the cover down was finally able to be moved. I reached down and saw that the wires were on a connector that was heldon by pressure over a flat metal plate, you can't actually see it just reach in and feel around and you'll find it. Once that was slipped off, it gave just enough slack to pull the wire over the front of the cover. Many curse words were said in trying to remove the cover at that point still. The back side was hitting the hoses even though I tucked them out of the way as much as possible. I resorted to removing all the hose clamps that held them together in groups and unbolting the grey metal box that was attached to the strut housing and some what in the way. once all that was done I was barely able to slip it back on with out messing up the new gasket on the bolts that were a hairs width from touching. The passenger side was a dream. Easy access, quick in quick out. Fun job over all looking back, but at the time I wasn't enjoying the learning curve. Thanks guys