Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-07-2013, 05:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 09 Honda Accord V6
CPO BMW low miles question

Foundation great clean 2009 328i with PP and very low miles (13,158). Should I be concerned about buying an almost 4 year old car with that low of mileage? I'm worried about lack of possible oil changes over the years. Price is great.. Reduced from 27995 to 23500 with CPO from a high volume dealer here in Orlando. Any advice appreciated to ease my paranoia. They also have several with 30k mileage for slightly higher prices.
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2013, 05:39 PM
Livin' like Larry!

Mein Auto: 2007 328XiT; 2008 328 CiC
Ask to see the service history... Should show yearly oil changes. My car had 13k on it when i bought it in 2011, it was a 2008. Now have over 30k on it, o issues... Also aSk for CPO checklist to make sure they really looked it over... I did and it showed brake pad measurements, recent services, next services due and when, tire depth, etc. very informative and helps with the "warm fuzzies"....
Old 01-08-2013, 05:13 PM

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTMfan View Post
Foundation great clean 2009 328i with PP and very low miles (13,158). Should I be concerned about buying an almost 4 year old car with that low of mileage? I'm worried about lack of possible oil changes over the years. Price is great.. Reduced from 27995 to 23500 with CPO from a high volume dealer here in Orlando. Any advice appreciated to ease my paranoia. They also have several with 30k mileage for slightly higher prices.

You are justified in being paranoid, IMO.
That amount of mileage in four years is rather unusual. Let's say very unusual. Since I'm a suspicious person, I would look for a few things in addition to the Carfax report:
1. The tires may be original...should be original, or BRAND NEW. If they are "substantially worn," that's the first "red flag." They would certainly be a BMW approved brand.
If the tires are "alleged" to be original on the car, you can check the tire's date of manufacture with the tire's "DOT" number. Google how to do this.
2. Keep in mind that a Carfax report won't necessarily show a damage report if this was a dealer's car and they declined to report it. Red flag.
3. Why in HELL would higher mileage cars on their lot be priced HIGHER? RED FLAG, unless he options were better, but usually MILEAGE RULES unless the car in question is 'sans' many options.
4. Can't they "run the key" for you for the maintenance history? They refuse? Red flag.
5. I'm not sure of the recall history of this car, but get the VIN and call BMW NA to make sure all recalls were conducted...and when.
6. Have the brakes checked...there should be PLENTY of brake caliper and pad life left at that mileage. How do the brakes look to BMW specs? NEW brakes? Heavily worn breaks? Red flag.

Good luck.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 01-10-2013, 02:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 323i 6sp
Ask for a Carfax, or have an independent mechanic check for signs of repairs from an accident.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:58 PM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
Definitely make sure you check out any used car thoroughly as mentioned about. The car definitely didn't get driven a lot, I only have 15k on my 2008, but it is a convertible, only is driving in the summer on nice days and only goes 4 miles to my office when it is nice, so basically I never drive it and it has about the same amount of mileage in that time. Could be many reasons for it, Military deployed, second car etc., but make sure the service history and car fax look good etc.

As for worries, cars wear out based on mileage not time, so low miles is generally a good thing - battery if not properly kept on a tender may be near the end of it's life. It is also good for cars to be driven, so low mileage is generally a good thing, but it isn't great for the car if it sat for years without being driven and that is what kept the mileage low without being properly prepared for storage.

Would be nice to get the story on why the mileage is so low.