Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 01-07-2013, 08:35 PM

Mein Auto: BMW, M-B
Engine is missing

Within the last 1000 miles, I had a new O2 sensor, gaskets replaced on the intake manifold to pass smog. The car was clean, but the "check engine" light would stay on.
The other day, When I started the car, the light came on and there was a noticible missing, shudder.
The OBD indicated PO 300, 304 & 308. This indicates that cylinders 4 & 8 are misfiring. I changed the plugs, but did not help. Is there a way to troubleshoot this problem, perhaps checking if coils are good, etc? what else?
Please help.

Chuck
Advertisement
Old 01-10-2013, 03:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 540i Sport (E39)
Check your coils. Take off the valve-cover plastic covers that say BMW on them. Remove those 10mm nuts holding on your coils. Start the car and pull the coils out slowly. You should hear sparks as you pull them out, if you don't than you have dead coils. Cylinder 4 is the cylinder closest to the fire-wall on passenger side. And Cylinder-8 is again closest to fire-wall on driver-side. Are your valve-covers leaking? Cam position sensors cause misfiring too
Old 01-17-2013, 01:07 PM

Mein Auto: BMW, M-B
Thank you,
Any danger from the voltage when removing colis?

CHuck
Old 01-18-2013, 12:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW z4 sDrive35i
No, there is no danger when removing the coils, as long as the car is not on.

The way to determine if bad ignition coils are causing your misfire codes is to swap coils on cylinders that are misfiring to cylinders that are not. In your case, you might swap the coils on cylinders 3 & 4, and on cylinders 7 & 8. Then start the car, and check the codes again. If the codes now indicate misfire on cylinders 3 & 7, then you know the coils are faulty.