Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 02-17-2015, 06:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '09 Cayenne "S"
X3 is now gone!

My X3 with nearly 115K miles is history. Strangely the one that was most affected seeing it drive off was my wife! She, is the one who for the first two (or three) years of ownership told me how stupid I was to buy such a hard riding beast! Anyway, I only regretted not getting enough money for it!
Ok, the replacement is a Porsche Cayenne S with PASM et al. Very nice ride -- different than the Bimmer but nice. I am still learning my way around the Pig but so far am very impressed. There are some things I like about the X3 better - but lots more that I like in the Porsche. It really should be more of a comparo between the X5 than the X3 though.
It has been fun here for a long time. I remember my very first thread -- I asked about the hard riding X3 and "Vern" was kind enough to quickly respond, followed by a number of others. Over the years there have been a lot of interesting exchanges between festers. All have been respectful and informative -- and for that the 'fest is and will be the best!
I move now over to the Rennlist forums, there seems to be a similar approach there and while I haven't spent enough time there, I plan to in the future.
So, signing off the net here, I want to thank all my past correspondents for your informative, educational, and measured responses. I did appreciate them all. Fair winds and smooth seas to all - UncleJ
Advertisement
Old 02-17-2015, 08:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
All the best UncleJ.

You will be missed here. Let us know how things work out in the long run.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:41 AM

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
Goodbye and good luck.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:03 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3, Hyundai Genesis
I was extremely close to buying a fairly low mileage Cayenne S, but the cracked cylinder liner stories scared me off, and I ended up buying another X3 instead.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:10 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3, 1997 Chevy truck,
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivepointnine View Post
I was extremely close to buying a fairly low mileage Cayenne S, but the cracked cylinder liner stories scared me off, and I ended up buying another X3 instead.
Cracked cylinder liner on a Porsche probably doesn't cost very much to fix, right?

Good luck, UncleJ, and enjoy the Cayenne.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3 & 2009 Carrera
Hey UncleJ,

I was eyeing a black 2009 Cayenne with beige interior on craigslist but decided I wait to pull the trigger until the X3 needs to go (at the moment It's still doing fine with 101k miles).
I also figured that I would miss the Panoramic roof and the cornering lights and that my tight space in my garage would be even tighter with the Cayenne.

What year and model did you get?
Would you care to give a quick rundown of the Pros and Cons between X3 and Cayenne?
See you on Rennlist, but I spend most of my time there in the 997 section.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:02 AM

Hi Guys! Well, I looked long and hard at the Cayenne. I got a 09 "S" that came out of Marin County (very affluent area for those who might not know) that was garaged. Beautiful interior, and good service history (dealer maintained). So far I am still trying to figure out the Nav system but other than that it has met or exceeded my expectations. Was well aware of the various chronic(?) problems these might suffer -- i.e. Cardan Shaft, plastic coolant tubes under the intake manifold, etc. but went ahead anyway. I was looking at another $3+K in upcoming X3 repairs (drive train, a/c, seat repair etc.) and just having dropped a grand into it, wanted to move on. The ride is spectacular with the air suspension, and it is a dream on the road. One thing I have noticed is the propensity of small Hondas and their ilk in trying to cut me off and zoom by -- never had that in the Bimmer. Almost as if they were jealous or something. Am still learning and gaining experience -- when I get more I will post a more comprehensive list. Having driven the X5 -- I like the Cayenne much better, but that is a personal preference of course. The Havana Beige leather interior is a work of art!

Last edited by UncleJ; 02-22-2015 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:56 PM
Freshly Addicted

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Because they think you are in a turbo Cayenne GTS, Those things are ungodly fast, but still around $60,000 used. So the ricer kiddies in the hondas all want to race them.
Old 02-22-2015, 02:00 PM

That must be it!
Old 02-23-2015, 07:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 2.0d MT
Good luck UncleJ! All the best!
Old 02-23-2015, 07:47 PM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
Cayenne, x3 and the touareg all the same.. ( i know thats gonna hurt some of your butts)

but once you get in in the air... youll see.

I for one am glad that you didnt buy the porsche, They are the most exspensive of the 3 trucks... with VW being a little less then the Bmw,
and besides... why buy a porsche when your really buying a over priced VW, At least BMW come from the cool side of germany.. :P

"Burning 2nd is a lot like vitamin tonic. Overly harsh, tastes like crap, but somewhere in all that there's good intent......just have to learn to read between the lines, actually you have to squint really hard to see the good, but its there somewhere"

15486372<-----
Old 02-23-2015, 11:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning2nd View Post
Cayenne, x3 and the touareg all the same.. ( i know thats gonna hurt some of your butts)

but once you get in in the air... youll see.

I for one am glad that you didnt buy the porsche, They are the most exspensive of the 3 trucks... with VW being a little less then the Bmw,
and besides... why buy a porsche when your really buying a over priced VW, At least BMW come from the cool side of germany.. :P
He bought the Porsche..
Old 02-24-2015, 07:10 AM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
Oh hes Fuked lol

"Burning 2nd is a lot like vitamin tonic. Overly harsh, tastes like crap, but somewhere in all that there's good intent......just have to learn to read between the lines, actually you have to squint really hard to see the good, but its there somewhere"

15486372<-----
Old 02-24-2015, 07:37 AM

Drove all three - T-egg, Q-7, and the Cayenne. Liked the Cayenne better -- totally subjective decision. Surprisingly for similar cars, the pre owned price was not really that different. New, of course its a whole different story! There are some significant opinions about the Cayenne being a rebadged T-egg. I suspect that in '03 an '04 it might have been closer to the truth than not (except for the Turbo!). From 06 and later that is not really the case. Significant differences exist -- there are however some things that are virtually identical and obviously out of the VW corporate parts bin - the turn signal stalk and some switch gear for example feels exactly the same as it does in the VW and Audi. Now, the diesel is a different story. All three use the VW T-egg diesel drive train virtually intact. The Q7 of course gives you three rows. I suspect that the re-badged fiction will continue on and since they all use the same body shell (sort of) there will be some truth to it.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:37 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Surprised you moved to a bigger vehicle......figured the trend was for downsizing. Or maybe that's just me.

Congrats
Old 02-25-2015, 09:00 AM

Thanks AzN! Have always been a kind of "big" car guy. I went to the X3 back in '06 from a Tahoe because gas prices were closing on $5 a gallon (around here). It was a handy size and filled a need, but I missed the extra space in the cockpit. Now I have that in a not too much larger size (about the same as the X5) and a MUCH nicer interior, along with all the rest, which is pretty nice too.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:07 PM
I hate doing dishes

Mein Auto: '05 X3 3.0i
Good luck and enjoy the Porsche UncleJ, must be nice.
Post some pics before you go!