Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to lpcapital Send a message via MSN to lpcapital Send a message via Yahoo to lpcapital
Mein Auto: Wasp & Duc
Another NOx sensor bites the dust

I think I've posted about this in the past but probably some 2K to 3K miles ago, at last oil change, I scanned for codes and the DDE had a pending code for DeNOx efficiency level low (can't recall the code number). I run through the diagnostic procedure of Rheingold and the determination was that the front NOx sensor has aged to the point of giving readings outside of the permissible range.

Fast forward to yesterday and the CEL light up and the code has set. The car is a 2009 35d with about 114K miles.

I have the warranty for Carmax that covers up to 120K miles so off it goes again... I think so far over the 60K miles of ownership they already paid north of $7K in repairs and I think it costed me $2K or $2.5. I had radiator, rear view mirror tilt motor, front active swaybar, LCAB, sway bar links, o-rings on the turbo drain tube, driver side lock, and probably some other stuff I can't remember.

Great warranty... The X5 is ok... The miss continue to like BMWs, I'm not so sure about it...

In all fairness, the NOx sensor, if just that the technology is not there for the long term: whether is the BMWs or the Ecodiesel in the 1500, of the Dmax they all have NOx sensor crapping out around 120-160K miles... And so the rest of the stuff that makes up the whole SCR/Urea apparatus: they are basically all implementation of the Bosch Denoxer and use the same Continental sensor.

Last edited by lpcapital; 05-04-2016 at 10:35 AM.
Advertisement
Old 05-04-2016, 01:19 PM

Mein Auto: 13' BMW X5 35d
114K for NoX sensor is not big deal. I am expecting that (I am actually shooting for some sales to get them and just keep them stored).
However, other things that you had is bit problematic.
I am personally trying not to use some stuff that I really do not need. Tilting side mirror? Turned off.
I amde 17K since I got car on Oct 29th last year (had 34,900mls) and so far under warranty I ahd to change active tank (level sensor went off, BMW replaced after waiting part for 7 days, but no issue, had 320i loaner) and 500 mls after that metering device. Other then that, car is regularly hitting 110-120mph in Colorado wilderness and averaging 25.2mpg.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:03 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35D
Thanks for the mileage, I guess I have that to look forward to as well. I'm at 150k km (92k miles).

| ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZSP | ZTP | 322 | 2VA | 456 | 4AD | 4UB | 610 | 655 | 6FF | 6FL | Combox + CIC + LCI Headlight/Tailight retro |
Old 05-04-2016, 02:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to lpcapital Send a message via MSN to lpcapital Send a message via Yahoo to lpcapital
One positive thing (sort of) is that the car is pretty much not using any urea...

Old 05-04-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpcapital View Post
One positive thing (sort of) is that the car is pretty much not using any urea...
LOL, maybe that is the way to go
I do not mind DPF, but SCR system really goes to my nerves.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
LOL, maybe that is the way to go
I do not mind DPF, but SCR system really goes to my nerves.
I hear you!! The reason I got a 2012 Ram instead of a later year was exactly that: the truck uses an lean NOx trap which is a passive unmonitored system. That means there's pretty much nothing to it (if it ain't there it cane break) and if it stops working effectively nobody knows.

My justification of driving it is that the increased talepipe emission is compensated by the fact that I'm "recycling" a car instead of buying a new one...

Last edited by lpcapital; 05-04-2016 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
I hear you!! The reason I got a 2012 Ram instead of a later year was exactly that: the truck uses an lean NOx trap which is a passive unmonitored system. That means there's pretty much nothing to it (if it ain't there it cane break) and if it stops working effectively nobody knows.
It would be good if someone develops SCR delete software. DPF is fine and leave regen. option, but delete SCR.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:25 PM

Even if I have warranty I have a $200 deductible so before just taking it in I want to try to "clean" the sensor.

With Rheingold I can read the NOx PPM reading so the plan is to read it before, then remove the sensor and dipping it some solvent, whether it's Acentone or Paint Thinner, reinstall and see if the reading changes. Those two products are sometimes successful at cleaning out the gasser catalytic converter that use a similar chemistry as the one used by the NOx sensor to measure.

Given the analogy between the functioning of the NOx sensor and the lean NOx trap (it's essentially the same chemistry, just at a much smaller scale) I suspect that the degradation of the NOx sensor is the result of sulfur contamination. The lean NOx trap has a desulfation cycle to prevent this; this can't be done by the sensor.

Last edited by lpcapital; 05-04-2016 at 03:38 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:27 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:
I think I've posted about this in the past but probably some 2K to 3K miles ago, at last oil change, I scanned for codes and the DDE had a pending code for DeNOx efficiency level low (can't recall the code number). I run through the diagnostic procedure of Rheingold and the determination was that the front NOx sensor has aged to the point of giving readings outside of the permissible range.

Fast forward to yesterday and the CEL light up and the code has set. The car is a 2009 35d with about 114K miles.

I have the warranty for Carmax that covers up to 120K miles so off it goes again... I think so far over the 60K miles of ownership they already paid north of $7K in repairs and I think it costed me $2K or $2.5. I had radiator, rear view mirror tilt motor, front active swaybar, LCAB, sway bar links, o-rings on the turbo drain tube, driver side lock, and probably some other stuff I can't remember.
When you had the front swaybar go bad, what was the symptom? Did you get an error message?

That is a lot of repairs for a 120k miles. I say that is much worse than the Chrysler minivan I owned. I couldn't imagine anybody makes worse car than Chrysler. At least they are cheap.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrycyao View Post
When you had the front swaybar go bad, what was the symptom? Did you get an error message?

That is a lot of repairs for a 120k miles. I say that is much worse than the Chrysler minivan I owned. I couldn't imagine anybody makes worse car than Chrysler. At least they are cheap.
The front sway bar was simply leaking hydraulic fluid

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search