Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '08 Z4 3.0si Roadie
Z4 '08 3.0si Oil Level

My Z4 has no oil dipstick, just a button above the steering column which one depresses to obtain information on oil levels. I find this to fall far short of my needs to not only know what my oil level is, but also its color and consistency. Other than changing our own oil between suggested under-warranty dealer changes, is there any way to determine how low the oil level in the engine really is? Mine just says: Oil OK How ludicrous is that? Is there anything on the unlocked self test which shows oil level?
Old 01-08-2013, 02:11 PM

Mein Auto: '06 M Roadster Imola/Blk
It does stink, but this is the only way on your car. I had an 02 Porsche Boxster which was the same way - except it had a digital level gauge which came up when the car started so I had some idea of the oil level. You could swap for an M Roadster if you want a dip stick....
Old 01-08-2013, 05:57 PM
Luv'in Texas

Mein Auto: '08 Z4 3.0si
It is my understanding that if it is 1/4 qt low, 3 bars would be left showing instead of all 4 when it says ok.

I had an '07 X3 that the dealer couldn't seem to get filled right. I do know that if you put too much, it will show "O".
2009 Club Car Precedent (to putter around the beach)
Old 01-09-2013, 03:54 AM

With the car at operating temperatures, if I check the oil with the engine off, it will just show: Oil OK. If I try to check the oil with the engine running, the gauge will just keep running through the check from left to right with no result until it just goes away. A couple of days ago, while I was showing my car to my son, he commented on the ticking noise and asked what kind of oil I was using (BMW Castrol) and what the level was. I showed him the oil check button and pressed it, but the gauge went to: [ ] and stopped instead of going through to: [] [] [] [] [] as usual. I was concerned and went to the manual, and followed written procedures. Following procedures it just comes up as Oil OK.

There were no 'M's available when I purchased my car, unfortunately. Besides, I am a little too old to be doing the clutch thing anymore. Gives me leg cramps.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:17 AM
BMW CCA 1405

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3 1.9 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by crewdog843 View Post
... I am a little too old to be doing the clutch thing anymore. Gives me leg cramps.
The previous owner of my manual Z3 1.9 got it when he was 80 and kept it until he was 90. Someone on BimmerForum just got another manual 1.9 at age 78. I am 70 myself and find that not having the seat too far back helps the clutching.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 Z4 si
"Some" of us have not aged as gracefully as others.
A misspent youth on the football fields and basketball court followed by misadventures with motorcycles might have something to do with a misbehavi' clutch leg.
I say good for you to those seniors who are pain free ...
Then there are the rest of us ...
Old 01-10-2013, 03:56 AM

I have really fallen in love with my Z4's paddle shifters, and find that they are a great alternative to the old heel and toe days (which I was never very good at anyways). The simple act of driving a powerful, sleek automobile with a hot red paint job with the top down more than makes up for that. People actually go out of their way to have conversations with me at stop lights, not the 'gimme all your money' type conversations either. This car gets attention, but I sure wish there was some other way to check my oil other than dumping it all out and replacing it.