Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 540i, 325i
Should I get the technology package?

Im planning on getting a 435 M sport. I originally thought I would get the technology package but the more I think about it I don't know. Smartphone integration sounds cool but will it keep up with smartphone updates and changes every year or two? Navigation is on your phone whether it is integrated or not. HUD might just be annoying.

So those who have the tech package, is it useful and worth it?
Ads by Google
Old 09-08-2013, 05:35 AM
Vroom Vroom

Mein Auto: 328i

I love my tech package.

Anyone can get navi on their phone but then you have to get a holder to place your phone. I'd never do that to a BMW, maybe a Carolla or something.

BMW Apps is a fun toy, just wish I had unlimited data for the streaming. The iPhone integration is amazing non the less and I use it everyday.

HUD... There are lovers and haters this is all you. I can tell you I have a hard time driving cars without it. The integration of speed, cruise control, nav and media right there is amazing. You will realize how long you remove your eyes from the road after about a week of using it.

The question is it worth it to you. For those who have it we all say yes. Those without of course say no.

Let us know what you do decide and why.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-08-2013, 05:50 AM

Mein Auto: ~
Keep in mind the navigation offered by BMW is less sophisticated than a $200 Garmin. It works, but is quite poor.

BMW offers updates for cell phone integration. My impression is that this primarily adds new phone, but the updates may include adaptation for cell updates as well.

If you happen to not like the HUD, you can turn it off.

My guess is if you like electronic gadgets, pine for the latest mobile phone, etc. you will find the tech package worth it.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:58 AM
It means bright red

Mein Auto: 96 E36, 14 F30

Hud wasn't that big of a deal for me, I got nav and backup cam.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
I would not get it. However, everyone has their own likes and dislikes. About the only thing I buy that isn't directly related to the driving experience is an upgraded sterio. I don't even use the bluetooth on my car, I shut it off on my phone. It can distract from the fun of driving. N4S
Old 09-08-2013, 08:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328xi
If you are doing ED, at least get the nav. I was iffy on it, but spent the money on a whim and am kind of glad I did. The heads up is cool, and the nav was really needed in Europe, although I could have just bought a 100 garmin for the trip I suppose.

But the I think the heads up is worth it just for the sparkle factor.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i, 2002 330i
I think it depends how much in the way of non-driving tasks you do while driving. People who regularly use nav and their phones (for music, calls, etc) seem to love HUD. Personally I don't do much of that since this isn't my road-trip car. I drive locally so I almost never need nav, I typically listen to NPR rather than messing with playlists on my phone, and I very rarely make/receive calls while driving.

So for me HUD really wasn't worth it especially since it was part of the 3k tech package. For $500 I might have gotten it as a curiosity/toy, but 3k is almost as much as the difference between a 328i and a 335i so I passed.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335
I just bought the nav. Since I don't have an iphone, couldn't use bmw apps anyways
Old 09-08-2013, 09:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335I x-drive m-sport
If resale a concern an M-Sport without Tech or Nav a challenge

Gone 2011 535I X-Drive - Space Grey / Black Dakota / M-Sport / Sport Automatic with Paddles / Premium I / Premium II/ Cold Weather

Gone 2010 535I - Alpine Wht / Blck Dakota - Sprt, Premium, Cold Weather, Sport auto, Anthracite Liner, Nav, Satellite, HD & I-Pod

Gone - 2006 530XI -
Old 09-08-2013, 10:01 AM
BMW New Guy

Mein Auto: 2014 328i
Re: Should I get the technology package?

He hud is not a distraction for anyone who spends more than a test drive with it. But like someone said before, if your using nav a lot, switching tracks, or other multitasking its worth every penny.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:52 AM

Mein Auto: 328 x-drive
for the extra $1k over the regular navigation package.....i wouldnt say its worth it.

the addition $1k gets you an HUD and BMW Apps....which is useless if you dont have an iPhone.

The standard Navigation package has Enhanced BT...which will allow you to stream music over BT
Old 09-08-2013, 12:26 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by carzaddict View Post
for the extra $1k over the regular navigation package.....i wouldnt say its worth it.

the addition $1k gets you an HUD and BMW Apps....which is useless if you dont have an iPhone.

The standard Navigation package has Enhanced BT...which will allow you to stream music over BT
BMW Apps is included with the MY2014 F30 Navigation. The $1000 extra of the Technology Package only gives the HUD.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi
As was wisely said about the HUD in a previous post about it, there are two kinds of people in this world:

1) Those who didn't get the HUD and don't think it's worth it.

and

2) Those who got the HUD, love it, and won't get another car without it.

The absence of category 3, people who got it and don't use it, should tell you everything you need to know.

For the record, I'm in category 2. It has saved me more on speeding tickets than it costs as an option, and I only have 4k miles on the car.
2006 BMW Z4 3.0 si (2006-2008)
2008 Infiniti G35x (2008-2010)
2011 BMW 328xi (ED August 31st 2010, Redelivery November 1st, 2010)
2013 BMW 335xi (ED May 6th, 2013, PCD Redelivery August 7th, 2013)
Old 09-08-2013, 04:14 PM

Mein Auto: 328 x-drive
HUD is nice....for the hour i used it. but i wouldnt say i need to have it on my next car
Old 09-08-2013, 04:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i
The only reason I wanted it was HUD. Don't care for any other gizmos.

I wish HUD were offered as a standalone option...I think it's just too cool. But I decided to skip it.

2014 328i / Liquid Blue / Beige Leatherette / 4 DR / 6 MT / Moonroof / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 12K+ Miles / Bought 10-16-2013
2003 325i / Gray Green / Beige Leatherette / 4 DR / 5 MT / Moonroof / 219K+ Miles / Bought 12-21-2002 / Sold 10-21-2013
1998 Civic EX / Vogue Silver / Gray / 4 DR / 5 MT / 122K+ Miles / Bought 12-30-1997 / Totaled 08-2002
1988 Sentra / Gray / Gray / 2 DR / 4 MT / 190K+ Miles / Bought 06-1994 @ 120K+ Miles / Died 12-1997
Old 09-08-2013, 05:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 335i GT (F34)
The Technology Package is $1,000 more than the Navigation System w/Touchpad, which gets you everything else in the Technology Package EXCEPT for the Heads-Up Display.

So, really it's just a question of whether you want the HUD and is it worth $1,000 to you (and to a future buyer on resale if you're buying rather than leasing).

Personally, I've driven the car with the HUD, and while it's clever and well-executed, I found it EXTREMELY ANNOYING AND DISTRACTING. Others may like it. Even if I had it and turned it off, I find it annoying that the dash in front of the driver has the extra depression, creases and surfaces for dust and debris to fall into. It's ugly.

If you don't want the HUD, then don't get the Technology Package. Just get Navigation Only, with saves you $1,000 and gets you everything else. And yes, the other items in Navigation are worth it, from the much larger/better screen for all other functions, to sat radio, to Bluetooth integration for phone calls and audio streaming from your phone, etc.

Others are right that the built-in Nav is less sophisticated that what's free on your iPhone or Android smartphone from Google Maps, but it is nice that it's integrated at least, with a large display in an easy place to see it vs. your phone.

I agree that any BMW will be tough on resale without Nav (and all the other items it includes), but I do NOT believe that lack of HUD will have a detrimental effect on resale value down the road, or put another way, you won't get $1,000 less on resale just because you have Nav but not HUD.

If you're leasing, then get the car with only those options you like, since you won't care about resale value. Let that be BMWFS' problem!
Old 09-08-2013, 05:42 PM
10k Miles down!

Mein Auto: 435i
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalldog View Post
The Technology Package is $1,000 more than the Navigation System w/Touchpad, which gets you everything else in the Technology Package EXCEPT for the Heads-Up Display.

So, really it's just a question of whether you want the HUD and is it worth $1,000 to you (and to a future buyer on resale if you're buying rather than leasing).

Personally, I've driven the car with the HUD, and while it's clever and well-executed, I found it EXTREMELY ANNOYING AND DISTRACTING. Others may like it. Even if I had it and turned it off, I find it annoying that the dash in front of the driver has the extra depression, creases and surfaces for dust and debris to fall into. It's ugly.

If you don't want the HUD, then don't get the Technology Package. Just get Navigation Only, with saves you $1,000 and gets you everything else. And yes, the other items in Navigation are worth it, from the much larger/better screen for all other functions, to sat radio, to Bluetooth integration for phone calls and audio streaming from your phone, etc.

Others are right that the built-in Nav is less sophisticated that what's free on your iPhone or Android smartphone from Google Maps, but it is nice that it's integrated at least, with a large display in an easy place to see it vs. your phone.

I agree that any BMW will be tough on resale without Nav (and all the other items it includes), but I do NOT believe that lack of HUD will have a detrimental effect on resale value down the road, or put another way, you won't get $1,000 less on resale just because you have Nav but not HUD.

If you're leasing, then get the car with only those options you like, since you won't care about resale value. Let that be BMWFS' problem!
Lol, it seems to me that there will be plenty of driving enthusiats who don't need to have a Navigation system who will buy a properly optioned BMW that is missing only the Navi. However, it seems like people are selling this other narrative that it will make the car impossible to resell. I don't know, by then, it will be such a dated system (one that doesn't exactly get high marks now compared to an Ipad with google maps)....I just doubt it will do much to resale except cost 1000-1500 off the price by year 6 or 8...
Old 09-08-2013, 07:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive
I love the HUD and the Bluetooth music streaming... I love the tech package with wheeling and dealing it was $600 more then the same car with just Nav. So for me totally worth it but I confess I wanted gadgets heck this is why I went BMW over Audi.

2013 BMW 328xi M-Sport, Cold Weather, Lighting, Premium, Tech Packages, Paddle Shifters -- Estoril Blue
Old 09-08-2013, 10:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i on order
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstas View Post
As was wisely said about the HUD in a previous post about it, there are two kinds of people in this world:

1) Those who didn't get the HUD and don't think it's worth it.

and

2) Those who got the HUD, love it, and won't get another car without it.

The absence of category 3, people who got it and don't use it, should tell you everything you need to know.

For the record, I'm in category 2. It has saved me more on speeding tickets than it costs as an option, and I only have 4k miles on the car.
Very well said!

Everybody here who don't like HUD don't have it! Nor they even spent enough time to properly evaluate the system.

I think HUD is one of these systems that needs weeks if not months to appreciate a difference. It's not just convenience option, it's primarily safety oriented tool that allows to display all of the most important info about a car, plus safety alerts, even including music and radio for enthusiasts w/o driver ever loosing a sight of a road.

Not so long ago, people did not want pay for power windows (it was an option) because of extra costs, and they "did not mind" muscle it manually

Just 5 years ago, people said Navigation is a waste of money, get Garmin if you need one. Well now try to sell quickly and get good money for your car w/o it.

I just traded in my car with Navi. The dealer had at least 2 more 2010 328i on the lot for more than a couple weeks prior. My car was sold last week after about 10 days on the lot, the other cars still there. My car had higher mileage and damaged carfax. I don't know, may be my Oyster seats helped it, may be not.

5-10 years from now, HUD equipped cars could be more common and in much higher demand on resale market as power windows and Navi today.

Last edited by 328AL; 09-08-2013 at 11:00 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i Sport
Get it! The navi display in the HUD is actually better than the screen for upcoming turns.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:17 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
I really want to know if when somebody is saying that Google Maps, BMW Nav, Tom Tom or any other GPS is better that the other they really know what they are talking about. Because if you use any GPS you will quickly find out that each one of them have quirks that invalidate the "better than".

Now, if you want to say that one GPS is better than the other in a particular case then I would agree. I like Google maps in my iPhone when I'm walking in NYC, for example. I like a Tom Tom if I'm in a rental car. I like BMW Nav when I'm in my car. All three devices in particular can get me as lost as the next three, or get me there as well as the next three.

Which takes us to this HUD or no HUD thread. If you have to ask strangers about getting an option in your car then that tells me that you have not taken a test drive with one car equipped with one so you can decide for yourself. Which tells me that you are a blind buyer. That in turn means that you really do not have any idea of what you are doing. And that you will always be disappointed in anything that you buy one way or another -HUD or no HUD, ZTP or no ZTP.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:19 AM

Yeah, as has been pointed out, if you use nav, the heads up makes it a whole different system and is worth the extra in my opinion.

When driving in a crowded unfamiliar city like Nice, the blocks are irregular and the intersections confusing sometimes. The HUD give you a voice prompt that a turn is upcoming, but the heads up will show a number distance to the turn that counts down, a bar graph line that shrinks as you approach, and a visual representation of what the upcoming intersection looks like with your path displayed through the intersection. It is fantastic.

I don't know that I will use nav much here in the states like I did in Europe, but if you use the nav, the HUD makes the nav system go from a 7 to a 10.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:35 AM

Mein Auto: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalz1 View Post
Yeah, as has been pointed out, if you use nav, the heads up makes it a whole different system and is worth the extra in my opinion.

When driving in a crowded unfamiliar city like Nice, the blocks are irregular and the intersections confusing sometimes. The HUD give you a voice prompt that a turn is upcoming, but the heads up will show a number distance to the turn that counts down, a bar graph line that shrinks as you approach, and a visual representation of what the upcoming intersection looks like with your path displayed through the intersection. It is fantastic.

I don't know that I will use nav much here in the states like I did in Europe, but if you use the nav, the HUD makes the nav system go from a 7 to a 10.
Regular NAV gets you all the same. That information is just displayed instead below the speedometer and tachometer. 6 inches below where it would show up on the HUD.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:49 AM

Mein Auto: F30 328i M Sport
It is the one package I would regret having left out, if I had to pick one. I just don't care for navigation. I hate that it has to be updated which costs more money, and my google or apple maps do a great job.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoBMW328i View Post
Regular NAV gets you all the same. That information is just displayed instead below the speedometer and tachometer. 6 inches below where it would show up on the HUD.
Did not know that. But for my comfortable seating position, I am short and like a reclined position, I can't see most bottom part of the info display unless I lean forward to peer over the wheel. Might be a consideration for some.

I don't have a cell phone, so I don't use any of the apps, but it is also nice to see speed info, and entertainments info in front of you when fiddling during the drive. I was kind of doubting the tech option when I checked that box, but I am glad it is on the car. My wife has an Iphone and will borrow the car on occasion, the apps are for her, and she really likes the features.

Last edited by jwalz1; 09-09-2013 at 07:21 AM.