Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-07-2013, 02:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325
labour hours for FSD shock set install ?

Hi all,

Could anyone give me a ballpark on hour many shop hours would be charged for Koni FSD shock set install ?? (just shock set - leaving OEM springs on)

I am not sure whether there is an alignment cost too .. any thoughts from those that had this install would be most appreciated !!

cheers.
Ads by Google
Old 01-07-2013, 02:52 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsbimmer View Post
Hi all,

Could anyone give me a ballpark on hour many shop hours would be charged for Koni FSD shock set install ?? (just shock set - leaving OEM springs on)

I am not sure whether there is an alignment cost too .. any thoughts from those that had this install would be most appreciated !!

cheers.
I paid $540 in Manhattan. May be less in other areas.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 01-10-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:31 PM
California ber Alles

Mein Auto: 328CiC and 328iT
Four to six hours, including alignment. Some ridiculous low price, something like $200, including alignment, maybe $250 at most. In East Los Angeles, California.

Quote:

Could anyone give me a ballpark on hour many shop hours would be charged for Koni FSD shock set install ?? .
Old 01-07-2013, 04:23 PM

Wow .. over an hour (each) to swap out one single identical , easily accessible part ??

I was figuring 0.5 hrs per shock .. boy, I am in the wrong business .. (-;
Old 01-07-2013, 04:44 PM
Code/wrench Monkey

Mein Auto: Miata NC2
Quote:
Hi all,

cheers.
Takes me 4->6 hours on my MX-5. Springs need compressing to remove anyway so it saves no labor by reusing them. Pretty sure my second suspension change took closer to four hours so I'd imagine a shop will take less; maybe even as low as two hours if they have a spring compressing machine an have done it several times prior? I faff around lowering, driving the car around a bit then torquing all bolts + removing/mounting wheels and getting on jack stands, reading instructions etc takes me much longer than at a shop.

Not beginner DIY but fairly easy, only real danger is from the springs.

Six Euro Deliveries since December 1998 (Owned E46, E90, E91, E92 and E93)

28 vehicles in 26 years of driving so far. Guess I like cars

Last edited by MP3_E46; 01-07-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:52 AM

Great info folks ! much appreciated !!
Old 01-08-2013, 09:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Wow .. over an hour (each) to swap out one single identical , easily accessible part ??

I was figuring 0.5 hrs per shock .. boy, I am in the wrong business .. (-;

Have you done it? Not that easy.....alignment required. Inspection of bushings @ ball joints should be done.

Try accessing the top rear shock mounts....let us know how it goes. Disassemble front struts for shock replacement; button 'em back up w/hat replacement. How's your time? Got a bench compressor? Now add time for the R&R.

$500 might be 'bout right if nothing else needs doing. Mech's gotta pay the bills!

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 01-08-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Have you done it? Not that easy.....alignment required. Inspection of bushings @ ball joints should be done.

Try accessing the top rear shock mounts....let us know how it goes. Disassemble front struts for shock replacement; button 'em back up w/hat replacement. How's your time? Got a bench compressor? Now add time for the R&R.

$500 might be 'bout right if nothing else needs doing. Mech's gotta pay the bills!

Here's a recent quote I got. Haven't actually moved forward with it yet:

Front: $430
Rear: $230
Alignment $139
Old 01-09-2013, 01:53 AM

Mein Auto: 325i E92 Coupe
The main time consumer is, as Calwaterboy hints, the amount of dismantling of the trunk lining needed to access the rear damper top mounts.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Meyle HD droplinks; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Saikoumichi OCC; K&N; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; M3 rear spoiler; LED Angels; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof

Old 01-09-2013, 02:06 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35D, Former X1 and 335
I did mine myself. I also spent 280 on parts over and above shocks. I replaced both bearings on the top of the shocks as one was bent. Replaced bump stops on all corners.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:24 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Took my brother 30 minutes to do each one (average). The first one took him the longest as he had to figure out the rear shocks require you go into the trunk. After that it was childs play. A mechanic, who has done these before, should realize it takes less than 30 minutes per shock.

One thing to note, the mechanic may be going by the book value - which is fair to do. I don't have the book so not sure what it states. If it's more than 45 mins per shock I'd be shocked

Wheel alignments should typically take under an hour.

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:49 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: E92
It takes about 2 1/2 - 3 hours to complete the job.
Remus Exhaust | HRE FlowForm
Hours: Mon - Fri 8:00am-6:00pm | Sat 8:00am-5:00pm
Check out the Blog for daily updates!
Old 01-10-2013, 06:34 AM

Mein Auto: 99 328i
$780 for the FSD install and $150 for alignment. You can do the rears yourself pretty easily. They are just shocks, not seat spring shocks or struts, if you want so save some money.

I changed out the struts on my e46 and I decided never to do that again for a BMW. The front springs are tall and concentric. I had a very difficult time getting the springs compressed enough to safely remove the strut rod retaining nut, and it didn't look like my e92 would be any easier. If I had spent the money on a more expensive spring compressor, it would have been easier. But the cheap ones I had didn't work very well.

Last edited by ramblinman; 01-10-2013 at 06:39 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:58 AM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
It takes 4-6 hours and it does not require an alignment. There isn't anything changed in the suspension since you are just replacing struts and shocks.
Struts require time to disassemble and 30 minutes I wave the BS flag!!!

Having changed dozens of these it is also helpful to replace bump stops which are usually crumbling. A lift makes all the difference and even so a strut compressor which I use mounted to a wall still takes time. There is no slap this in and slap that out if you do it right. Shocks are simple to replace and the shock mounts if cracked should be replaced as well.
BMWs are only adjustable for toe anyway unless you have camber plates for the struts and the rear as an essentic bolt (LCA) which gives some adjustment...
Konis are a very nice shock/strut
Oh by the way if this is the cartiage strut as many Koni's are that too takes time to reuse the old strut.
I have not put Koni's on the E90 just OEM so not sure if this is still the case...

Last edited by fun2drive; 01-10-2013 at 11:00 AM.