Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:10 PM
Needs Boost

Mein Auto: Red Sled
M10 Running rich, bad MPGs, misses at high RPM

Alright guys, winding down some issues with my car. In my E30 build thread, you can catch up to what all I've done.

The rundown:

84 318i, M10

Didn't run when I bough it, replaced a bunch of stuff and finally the computer fixed it.

New:

FPR
Fuel filter
Converted to single fuel pump
Plugs (may replace again)
Distributor cap, rotor, wires
Valve cover gasket
Misc. van lines
Two different AFMs
Air filter
IAC
Injectors
Cheap coolant temp sensor
Used DME
O2 sensor
Adjusted valves

Misc. info

Has small radiator leak

MPG calculated today was 18 mpg, I've had it up to 23mpg, 90 percent highway though.

Misses at high rpms, around 5k I'd say, it won't rev past that with a load. In neutral I believe it will hit the rev limiter.

I'm told it smells rich, I can't smell it because I drive it all the time lol and am used to it I suppose.

The car runs pretty well, the idle was very very lopey, but it's 90 percent fixed now from the new IAC. Will idle at 800rpm ish when warmed up.

What's next? Could a TPS cause this? I doubt both AFMs are shot but who knows? Cheap coolant temp sensor gone bad?

I are confused.

Ads by Google
Old 01-08-2013, 05:15 PM
livin large

Mein Auto: 2012 hypermotard 796
tps can do that. say its sending a bad signal, it could be WOT when you only have the pedal say 1/2 way. i would check that and the fuel pressure.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:38 PM
Needs Boost

I think someone told me I can drive it with it unplugged? (tps)

Anyone know the specifications to test it?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Bimmer App

Old 01-08-2013, 06:37 PM
livin large

i dont know if the car drive with it unplugged. its either gunna be running way rich or lean depending on how the signal is set up.

measuring, couldnt tell you. for the short search i did, i couldnt find anything. but i didnt try too hard. trying to get ready for a 3000 mile trip on the motorcycle
Old 01-09-2013, 04:38 AM
Nick's Toys

Mein Auto: 323i E30 2-door
Quote:
to get ready for a 3000 mile trip on the motorcycle
you only need a Cedit card & some comfy leathers
Enjoy it
Old 01-09-2013, 05:15 AM
Needs Boost

Also, sometimes now when im driving let's say at 50mph, I rev match shift it and it losses power and or shuts off. After a few seconds I'm able to rev it up again.

Weird....

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Bimmer App

Old 01-09-2013, 08:40 AM
INSANELY UNPREDICTABLE!

Mein Auto: 1984 318i
I (as you know) have a '84 318i and dont get that great of mileage either. I would test the TPS. Also my afm does the same jumping around yours does. Im sure that is playing a huge part in fuel consumption. I too have replaced near the same things you have. However when i rev match i dont experience what you say.

I know that i need to time my car correctly though. I just did it by ear. Misses slightly around 47-5 also.

Considering the age of our cars i always have this hunch that the distributors are old and tired but i havent took the time to test mine yet. The coils are fairly bulletproof in my experience with these cars.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:04 PM
Needs Boost

Thanks for the info guys.

I think I may have figured at least one issue out. I was fiddling with the car, check the TPS (PITA, couldn't really tell if it was ok or not) and checking for vac leaks. I hear a slight hissing noise near the firewall all the time but I can't seem to pin point it. Anyway I was moving wires around, and the fuel return line when the idle started changing. So I moved the return line and sure enough, changed the idle, if I move it a certain way, it will die. If I move it another way, it will idle right at 700 rpm. Part of the line is almost rock solid.

So tomorrow I'll replace that whole line and see what happens.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:19 PM
I <3 my E34

Send a message via Skype™ to BmwMan92
Mein Auto: 1985 318i// 1988 325e
Are you certain your having something wrong? My 318 would stutter under load because the engine is weak. Barely 100 hp in perfect running condition

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8bimmer View Post
I just dont see any other logical way around this problem.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:33 PM
Needs Boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwMan92 View Post
Are you certain your having something wrong? My 318 would stutter under load because the engine is weak. Barely 100 hp in perfect running condition
Lol, no that's not it. I believe I fixed the issue, fuel mileage seems to be up as well, will know for sure when I fill the tank up.

Replaced that fuel return hose, turns out that wasn't the issue, although the old hose was hard and cracked.

When I was wiggling that it was moving a ground wire that wasn't attached! Fixed that and all is well (so far) it idles perfect and doesn't hesitate or anything.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:08 PM
livin large

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick323 View Post
you only need a Cedit card & some comfy leathers
Enjoy it
no leathers. using textile jacket and jeans, and a mix of leather and textile gloves. need to get a credit card though. it gunna be hot and hopefully not too much rain