Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 09-07-2011, 12:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 3.0
X5 Door locked shut- In & Out handle don't open door

My 2006 X5's driver side rear door will not open from either the inside handle or the outside handle. The window operates fine from either its door switch, the drivers master switch, or the key. The lock pin engages from the key, central locking, and the driver master switch. The pin will go both up or down. I don't have kids so I don't even know where the child safety locks are, so it's a slim possibility it was engaged.

From reading one of the more famous threads, it looks like it is probably the carrier. My problem is, if it is the carrier, how to get to it if the door is shut and cannot be opened to access the trim and later the door panel.

How do I get the door open (if it is the carrier).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
Advertisement
Old 09-07-2011, 05:28 PM
Monkey Wrencher

Mein Auto: 2005 325i Sport 5spd
OK so I had this prob the other day. What I did was put the window all the way down, pop the pin up using the handle on the inside. Then manually push the pin down with your thumb. Then pop it from the inside again and try to open the door. That worked for me!
Old 09-07-2011, 05:45 PM

Thanks- that sounds too easy but I will try it!

Thanks for your answer. I will try that tomorrow as my car is parked several blocks away (city) and let you know the outcome. Hopefully it will do the trick! It does seem to easy, but we these machines it is always about random solutions for random problems.

Let you know tomorrow and thanks again for your help.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:34 AM

No luck. Thanks for trying.

I tried the proposed solution and it didn't work. The lock is engaged with the inside handle, meaning when the pin (lock) is down and I pull the inside handle, the pin will go up. But the door will not open.

It looks like I'll have to open it up. But I have no idea how to get at the panel with the door shut. If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:12 PM

Mein Auto: bmw x5
I am going through this now. Rear door driver side, handle carrier busted and door shut. So, I pulled off the exterior window trim at the bottom of the window and that gave me enough room to see inside door and jimmy handle carrier with a screw driver until the door came loose. Then I could go through the laborious process of taking off the door panel - my X5 has window screens - which adds another layer of complexity. Not sure how I am going to get carrier done but am going to give it may all tomorrow.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:15 PM

check over on xoutpost.com and search 'door stuck"

here are two threads to get you started

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...-fix-pics.html

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...le-fix-13.html

three quick pointers-

1) since it is winter and you live in the NE you should take the time to spray some lubricant (teflon or such) on the cable to avoid the dreaded bmw door freeze up

2) after you pour through the threads and do a search as well, you may want to attempt to have someone assist with a) you pulling on the outside handle while they simultaneously pull on the inside handle, while also simultaneously pushing the central lock/unlock button. My wife and I did this (really patiently) after pushing the locking pin down. We attempted about 25 - 35 x. and on the 35th attempt, voila!! it opened. Have not had a problem since. So, don't worry it may be something simple. (Basically what Wayne's World from PA suggested above, but it didn't happen immediately. It took a few minutes, a LOT of patience, and finally happened!)

If I didn't already I'd like to thank Wayne's World for the great suggestion. IT WORKED perfectly! So start there. Inevitably if you go the surgical route and rip apart the door and replace a carrier, or regulator or whatever, of course that will work. But I think for a lot of cases it may be a lot simpler and due to the 'finicky' nature of the german engineered mechanisms.

3) Also, if the door is locked and unable to be opened a tip in one of the threads in lieu of ripping the window out was to remove the back seat bottom. I didn't need to in my case but apparently it lifts out, giving you access to the side door panel/trim.

Anyway, try all the simple stuff first before you resign yourself to ripping out the door & sometimes it is connected to the weather/freezing.

hope that helps

Last edited by bpk1122; 12-28-2012 at 07:20 PM. Reason: add
Old 12-28-2012, 08:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X5 4.4i
We had a similar problem with my 2004 X5 4.4i and the front driver door handle would not work on the exterior. We took it into our dealership and they said that the baseplate was broken for the door handle. I don't really know what that is but they flexed it and it works perfectly. A possible cause could have been from pulling on the door handle at an angle or for some other reason. Hope this helps!
Old 12-31-2012, 12:02 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Locked Out !!

I had similar problem with front passenger door unable to open from inside or out. This was caused initially by my son pulling on exterior handle as I activated the central locking. I fixed mine by doing exacttly what had caused the problem. Activate central locking and pull on door handle. Worked for me and saved expensive damage to door trim. Good Luck.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW, Lotus, Porsche
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback707 View Post
I had similar problem with front passenger door unable to open from inside or out. This was caused initially by my son pulling on exterior handle as I activated the central locking. I fixed mine by doing exacttly what had caused the problem. Activate central locking and pull on door handle. Worked for me and saved expensive damage to door trim. Good Luck.
That's why I had my x recoded so that ALL the doors open with just one push of the remote. Before I always had to remind the kids and wife not to pull on the door handles until I pushed the remote a second time to unlock the other doors.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:06 AM

Mein Auto: 88 325is
door

Try and roll window down,now in the down position get a wedge and put it in back of window so that the weather seal is out of the way have a long screw driver of some sort and try to trip the lock or pull cable to open door. goodluck
Old 01-08-2013, 12:25 PM
Manny

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 528i xdrive
What needs to be done to have all doors open with single push on remote? My 2006 X5 requires two pushes on the remote.