Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335, 2013 328
Loving HUD

At first I thought the HUD was a waste of money but after a few weeks I love it and can't imagine having the car without it. Even simple tasks like looking for a decent radio station are so much easier. And navigation is fantastic.

Do others find their HUDs as useful? Or will my enthusiasm wane over time.
Advertisement
Old 01-13-2013, 07:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i
One thing I have not heard others mention, maybe just me, but I like the steering wheel lower, not up like driving a truck. This lower position blocks the view of the speedometer almost completely for me. As I always need to check my speed, the car would be almost useless without the HUD for me.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:31 AM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrykur View Post
At first I thought the HUD was a waste of money but after a few weeks I love it and can't imagine having the car without it. Even simple tasks like looking for a decent radio station are so much easier. And navigation is fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blonyskin View Post
One thing I have not heard others mention, maybe just me, but I like the steering wheel lower, not up like driving a truck. This lower position blocks the view of the speedometer almost completely for me. As I always need to check my speed, the car would be almost useless without the HUD for me.

First off, welcome aboard to both of you.

Both of you are 100% correct. No, the enthusiasm for HUD does not fade over time it only gets more intense. My wife's car doesn't have it, and now when I drive her car I get very disappointed.

And yes, the steering wheel in a comfortable position can often block the speedometer and thus the HUD display becomes an important function not a redundancy.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 01-13-2013, 08:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrykur View Post

HUD IMO is one of the greatest options BMW offers. I've had it on my past 3 BMW's and would never buy a car without it. Each year since the beginning BMW has been adding to the HUD. I'm still waiting for them to put up the RPM. Enjoy
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 01-13-2013, 08:45 AM
Vroom Vroom

Mein Auto: 328i
When I ordered my car I wanted the tech package but didn't think I would use or need the HUD a lot. I take that back and I know I don't ever want another car without it.

It's hard to explain to people how useful and helpful it is. The radio stations as well as iPod control and navigation. And you do realize how long it actually takes to look down at the speedo.

It rocks... No doubt about it!
Old 01-13-2013, 09:41 AM

Mein Auto: F30 328i AT8
I also love the HUD and I've continued to enjoy it. The HUD NAV is great - especially when it indicates which lane you need to be in when off ramping. I also like the HUD for phone caller ID and warning indicators.

I share your pain with the steering wheel. I constantly adjust my seat position due to the line of sight issues with the instrument cluster. Right now, I'm in a compromised state as the steering wheel only blocks my milage numbers.

The only thing I don't like about the HUD, and this is my OCD coming out, is since the hood is curved it gives an optical illusion that the HUD isn't horizontal wrt the road. I'm always fiddling with the rotation setting. But I'm not complaining, I know that's me being OCD and a little crazy. Lol

Last edited by DomonicDave; 01-13-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to MonkeyCMonkeyDo
Mein Auto: 2013 335i
It changes your life. I tell everyone debating it go trust me. Best feature !
Old 01-13-2013, 01:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
What happens when you replace the windshield with a non-HUD windshield? Is it less clear or you don't see anything?
Anyone know of what it cost to replace the HUD windshield if cracked? I guess will need to tap insurance...
Old 01-13-2013, 01:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive
I also thought it would be a show-off gimmick. Now I can't imagine not having it. The navigation piece is well laid out. I never look at the speedometer cluster anymore.

2013 BMW 328xi M-Sport, Cold Weather, Lighting, Premium, Tech Packages, Paddle Shifters -- Estoril Blue
Old 01-13-2013, 01:35 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to jfox335i
Mein Auto: 2010 E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fb88 View Post
What happens when you replace the windshield with a non-HUD windshield? Is it less clear or you don't see anything?
Anyone know of what it cost to replace the HUD windshield if cracked? I guess will need to tap insurance...
You need a polarized windshield for the HUD. It's about a 2k replacement.

I love the HUD as well. Didn't like it at first, now I rarely look down to check speed. Only thing I'd like to see is more functionality be displayed there, like RPMs, what gear your in, etc...

BMWCCA #471315
Old 01-13-2013, 01:43 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfox335i View Post
You need a polarized windshield for the HUD. It's about a 2k replacement.
For those with HUD, make sure that your insurance policy covers full glass. My last few BMW's didn't have it as I never thought it necessary, but with a special windshield for the HUD it's worth having.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 01-14-2013, 05:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomonicDave View Post
...The only thing I don't like about the HUD, and this is my OCD coming out, is since the hood is curved it gives an optical illusion that the HUD isn't horizontal wrt the road. I'm always fiddling with the rotation setting.
This! (But otherwise I love it.)
Old 01-14-2013, 05:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335, 2013 328
One other thing I noticed is I drive slower with the HUD.

BMWs are so smooth that it is easy to get fooled into not realizing how fast you are going. But, when the speed is hovering in front of you eyes it is hard to miss it. Also, the "honest officer I did not realize how fast I was going" excuse is hard to pull off.

Jerry