Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 528, CTS
Sorry, didn't mean to strike a chord. Yeah, I guess the parking lot of a school in the south isn't representative of the country as a whole . Lots of rich little brats in my class whose parents held their hands and catered to their every need (paying for the Ivy league undergrad, best MCAT prep available, mission trips to Africa, you name it, etc.). Seriously, it's pretty bad though.

Also, you're right. You can't categorize a person by what they drive. I drive a F10 only because my mom (coming from an E60) thought it was too much of a boat . I took it over and she got herself a F30 Not something you hear everyday, right?
Old 01-13-2013, 03:23 PM

Send a message via ICQ to normsbimmer
Mein Auto: 2012 F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Lined View Post
Real life:

F30 is a 20-30 year old's car. Out of the 140 kids in my medical school class alone, prob half drive a new 3 series or comparable The university parking lot is flooded with f30s these days. Strippers or not, an F30 is an F30 and the general public sees no difference between a baseline and a Luxury/Sport.

Not exactly a luxury CEO automobile...
I sure hope their parents paid for them. That's like another 36-50k added to the 200k + of student loans. And I hope these students understand that after med school you don't make the real cash until you become part of a medical group or start your own practice. The market for doctors is getting over saturated. A lot of my friends had to move out of California just to get a job. I was surprised to find out that Fellows only make 40k a year residents make less than that, and that's working for one of the top hospitals here in Socal.

"Not exactly a luxury CEO automobile"

BMW is still a luxury brand. And I'm pretty sure that the general public will agree with me on this. With all do respect, you need to come up with a better case analysis than basing it off a school parking lot.

Last edited by normsbimmer; 01-13-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:27 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by krash View Post
Yep, again, people drawing conclusions because they saw someone drive a car somewhere...

No science behind it at all...

EDIT: But in NYC, I think it's fair to conclude that a lot of young Wall St Brokers / Analysts drive around in a 3.
Most people that both live and work in Manhattan do not drive to work. If you live outside the city or in the outer boroughs and drive to work chances are your co-workers will rarely if ever see your car unless they also drive to work, park in the same garage that you do and arrive and leave at the same time.

BMW Manhattan has a showroom on Wall Street but their main location, service dept, etc. is on the West Side at 57th St. and 11th Ave.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory

Last edited by captainaudio; 01-13-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:30 PM
A pair of I6s

Mein Auto: E93 335i, E90 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by krash View Post
Yep, again, people drawing conclusions because they saw someone drive a car somewhere...

No science behind it at all...

EDIT: But in NYC, I think it's fair to conclude that a lot of young Wall St Brokers / Analysts drive around in a 3.
Did you not read what I wrote? From there how would you conclude IB analysts (who are working longer hours and earning less than associates) are driving 3 series?

They're not driving anything ...in reality most people in NYC aren't

2012 Mercedes-Benz E350
Prev: E90 330i, E93 335i, etc.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:47 PM

Mein Auto: 528, CTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by normsbimmer View Post
BMW is still a luxury brand. And I'm pretty sure that the general public will agree with me on this. With all do respect, you need to come up with a better case analysis than basing it off a school parking lot.
It sure is. It wasn't my point to denigrate the F30 at all. Some posters seemed to be saying earlier that an F30 is in line with a F01. F30 caters to upper middle class males and females who either enjoy the driving dynamics or the badge. F01 caters to wealthy male CEO (big law, neurosurg, etc.) types that don't care about driving dynamics and are buying strictly to proclaim status. That's all.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:01 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Lined View Post
It sure is. It wasn't my point to denigrate the F30 at all. Some posters seemed to be saying earlier that an F30 is in line with a F01. F30 caters to upper middle class males and females who either enjoy the driving dynamics or the badge. F01 caters to wealthy male CEO (big law, neurosurg, etc.) types that don't care about driving dynamics and are buying strictly to proclaim status. That's all.
I totally agree. You are unbelievably perceptive and hit the nail directly on the head. It is obvious that a great deal of thought and research went into your post.

Nobody that has any interest in driving dynamics, knows anything about driving, or for that matter knows how to drive an MT would have any interest whatsoever in a 7 Series.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory

Last edited by captainaudio; 01-13-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:34 PM

Mein Auto: ~
Old 01-13-2013, 07:48 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 01-14-2013, 12:17 AM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I totally agree. You are unbelievably perceptive and hit the nail directly on the head. It is obvious that a great deal of thought and research went into your post.

Nobody that has any interest in driving dynamics, knows anything about driving, or for that matter knows how to drive an MT would have any interest whatsoever in a 7 Series.
Barrel, fish, howitzer.

N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in period. You can guess the rest. BMW CCA