Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 335d & 2014 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
I will be interested in the 4 series, when the LCI hits. No denying that the profile is gorgeous. Like some others though, I can't stand how the lights meet the grille.
Look-wise, F30will hit a home run if they fix that grill & the humpback whale hood.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	f30-front-hood.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	357047  
Old 01-10-2013, 09:13 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoucity View Post
Look-wise, F30will hit a home run if they fix that grill & the humpback whale hood.

Well, if you're waiting on the home run, looks like one hell of an RBI double to me.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 01-10-2013, 09:31 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Quote:

I'm in 100% agreement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:

I know, I just hate that thing, looks like no other 3 Series I've ever seen.

Trying to keep score here, make sure I have this right:

The F30 doesn't look different enough than the E90 yet the F30 looks too different.

The hump on the F30 hood = bad.

The hump on the E90 LCD = good.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 01-10-2013, 09:55 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
What surprises me the most about those two pictures is how similar the two cars look. That probably explains why I don't seemt o see very many F30s. I probably do and don't realize they are F30s.

I don't have a problem with the hood (or the looks of the F30 in general). I think the actual car came out better than a lot of the early renderings that showed up in the internet and that I was not to crazy about.

As for the hood, that is probably going to become a trend due to the European pedestrian safety requirements.

Quote:
Hood design and engine compartments have also received many subtle design changes. Today the vast majority of vehicles sold in the U.S. have braces supporting the hood that crush when they are impacted from above, such as by a person's head. In addition, a plastic engine cover serves to soften the impact, as does increased space between the hood and the cover. Beginning in 2001, Volvo, for example, decided it needed 3 inches of deformable space between the hood and engine in its new vehicles for pedestrian safety. As a result, when it came time to decide between two V8 engines for its XC90, one engine was ultimately rejected for the sole reason that it protruded into the company's 3 inches of required space.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 01-10-2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
What surprises me the most about those two pictures is how similar the two cars look. That probably explains why I don't seemt o see very many F30s. I probably do and don't realize they are F30s.

I don't have a problem with the hood (or the looks of the F30 in general). I think the actual car came out better than a lot of the early renderings that showed up in the internet and that I was not to crazy about.

As for the hood, that is probably going to become a trend due to the European pedestrian safety requirements.
There is a lot of empty space under the hood of the F30 328i due to the small engine size. At some point when the I6 is gone, and a 3 cyclinder engine is introduced, the hood can finally be cut back down without compromising pedestrian safety.

Of course a better way is to introduce flat 4 and 6 engines, not only can they site low and allow flatter hood line, they lower the center of gravity of the car, make for better driving dynamics.

Maybe mid engine or rear engine can do the trick also, how about electric? Get rid of that bulky IC engine altogether would definitely give them more room to play with the hood design.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Quote:

Trying to keep score here, make sure I have this right:

The F30 doesn't look different enough than the E90 yet the F30 looks too different.

The hump on the F30 hood = bad.

The hump on the E90 LCD = good.

BJ
After looking at these pictures, I take back what I previously said. The lights and grill are fine. The F30 looks better. I always thought so anyway, but the F30 looks great.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:43 AM
unbekannt

Mein Auto: 750Li Hi-Sec, '13 Actros
Quote:

BJ
Quote:
What could BMW done to be "much much more"?

The E90 was the most popular bodystyle in BMW history and they changed a lot in the F30. Flame surfacing reduced, nose completely different, hood completely different, roofline pushed back, nose extended, wheels enlarged, stance widened, standard equipment increased, interior overhauled.

BJ
so which is it? You seem to tailor both your responses and personal opinions based on who you're responding to.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:46 AM
unbekannt

Quote:
Originally Posted by krash View Post
I'm pretty sure that's not what BMW wants you to know every time you look at the interior of your car.

Seriously dude. Do you honestly think that BMW executives sit in a board room, and say to the designers, "goddamit, make certain those F30 owners know they only bought a slightly more luxurious F20 1-series, nothing more, nothing less."

They probably dont put it in the same terms as you did (specifying certain models and being harsh about it). It's probably more of a "paradigm change", not the executives but more the marketing team. But yes, given the state of the global economy, and the huge amounts of bourgeois that want to look rich, that is probably the case, in general terms.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris328 View Post
so which is it? You seem to tailor both your responses and personal opinions based on who you're responding to.
What I said in one of my responses to you yesterday was:

"The overall 'shape flow' of the 3 Series is the constant. It's the details that are the difference maker, and there is enough difference in the F30 to a) excite E90 owners and b) entice those new to the BMW family."

So when I look at those two photos I see the same silhouette. Everyone does. The differences are in the details, the subtleties, and what's not in the photo- the interior.

Many were concerned that BMW might go overboard and ruin a good thing. Instead, they did just enough, maybe a tad more on the interior, to not shock the 3 Series universe but make it a lot more fresh than a typical LCI. We loved our E9X's, just wanted something evolutionary, no need for revolutionary (though the 328i has a revolutionary powerplant/power/handling proposition).

BJ

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 01-11-2013 at 05:57 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:07 AM

Quote:
But yes, given the state of the global economy, and the huge amounts of bourgeois that want to look rich, that is probably the case, in general terms.
I'm sorry, but this is stupid.

It really is, and it doesn't make any sense.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:08 AM
unbekannt

Quote:
I'm sorry, but this is stupid.

It really is, and it doesn't make any sense.
it makes complete sense.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:09 AM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Thumbs up

Quote:

Well, if you're waiting on the home run, looks like one hell of an RBI double to me.

BJ
+1 Can always depend on you to come up with the facts not the BS.
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 01-11-2013, 06:10 AM
unbekannt

Quote:

So when I look at those two photos I see the same silhouette. Everyone does.

BJ

Quote:
hood completely different

BJ
Old 01-11-2013, 06:23 AM

Quote:
The E90 hood was a sharply articulated design, several different planes, Chris Bangle's interpretation of a Mayan temple, no cut, the seam hit the grills.

The F30 hood is primarily a flat affair, muted planes, un-Bangled, now has a sharp cut above the nose.

Dude, if we're going to start getting into minutia like this and then spelling errors, please, spare us.

BJ

Old 01-11-2013, 06:23 AM

Mein Auto: F30 Sport Line
Quote:
They probably dont put it in the same terms as you did (specifying certain models and being harsh about it). It's probably more of a "paradigm change", not the executives but more the marketing team. But yes, given the state of the global economy, and the huge amounts of bourgeois that want to look rich, that is probably the case, in general terms.
The bourgeois are rich. It's the proletariat that are striving to be something more.

I came from an E90 LCI and in no way is the interior of that car any better in terms of refinement or utility. If BMW is trying to go down market with the F30, they've surely done a poor job convincing me to step into a 5 series in order to "get back" the sumptuous interior of my old car (obvious sarcasm).
Old 01-11-2013, 06:39 AM

Quote:
it makes complete sense.
Dude, please decompose and decipher this gibberish, and tell us what the hell you are talking about.

Quote:
But yes, given the state of the global economy, and the huge amounts of bourgeois that want to look rich, that is probably the case, in general terms.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The BMW-est View Post
The bourgeois are rich. It's the proletariat that are striving to be something more.
Yeah, he might have meant proletariat. Marxists, they crack me up. What's a marxist doing on a BMW forum anyway? I thought they hung out on OWS forums.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:43 AM

Someome might have stolen the Mayan Temple scene:

[img]http://www.hd*************.com/walls/2014_lamborghini_aventador_lp700_4_roadster-wide.jpg[/img]

Ok that did not work

Last edited by dtc100; 01-11-2013 at 06:45 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:00 AM

Mein Auto: ~
Quote:
The E90 hood was a sharply articulated design, several different planes, Chris Bangle's interpretation of a Mayan temple, no cut, the seam hit the grills.

The F30 hood is primarily a flat affair, muted planes, un-Bangled, now has a sharp cut above the nose.
Excellent descriptions.

They are exceedingly similar yet observably different. The role of a BMW designer is difficult; initiate change, but change nothing - the cognoscenti will have it no other way.

I am like CA. On quick observation I find it difficult to tell the cars apart.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i
If the new 328i was a product of Detroit, they would've already named that "hump" a "power bulge"...
Old 01-11-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugH View Post
If the new 328i was a product of Detroit, they would've already named that "hump" a "power bulge"...
A power bulge is usually at the mid or back of the hood. This bulge is for pedestrian safety, attribute it to some brilliant design statement is really pushing it. At the best I say the designers did the best they could to accommodate a non-exist regulatory mandate without ruining the style.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:59 AM
unbekannt

Quote:
Yeah, he might have meant proletariat. Marxists, they crack me up. What's a marxist doing on a BMW forum anyway? I thought they hung out on OWS forums.
i guess.

"Besides describing the social class who own the means of production, the Marxist usage of the term "bourgeois" also describes the consumerist style of life derived from the ownership of capital and real property. "
Old 01-11-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
i guess.

"Besides describing the social class who own the means of production, the Marxist usage of the term "bourgeois" also describes the consumerist style of life derived from the ownership of capital and real property. "
Yeah, I'm in the borgeois class. I know all about those whacky marxists and their stupid beliefs.

Stalin would have executed me since I own lots of property, have lots of money, have lots of power, and drive around in fancy cars.

Oh, and please don't try to tell me that the F30 is a car for the prolatariat class. That would be the most utterly ridiculous, most stupid thing ever posted on the 'fest.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:22 AM
unbekannt

No I said bourgeois. Proletariats dream of audis.