Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-08-2013, 08:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 528i
Hella Xenon install gone awry! [Pics]

Hi Fest,

I made the plunge to spend the extra money in order to achieve the OEM quality of headlights for my E39, namely; Hella!
While they began working (both lights igniting), when I tested the height adjustment - they began to turn temperamental.
One would start to "shimmer", and eventually, would not ignite at all.
The next stage was then when the car turned on, only one would turn on, and the other not; a very peculiar situation!

After some communication with Umnitza, to no avail, they unfortunately weren't working as expected. I then ordered a new set of ballasts, as well as a set of cords from the headlight to the ballast. When I went to remove the cords however, I saw something I wasn't expecting!

on both sides...

Safe to say I was completely shattered.

So my question is - can these be saved? or am I destined to have halogens on my 1997 528?

Beyond that, are the headlights now worth anything?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone
Old 01-08-2013, 08:10 PM

Mein Auto: 02 530, 02 540, 07 525
Replace the socket and bulbs and all should be fine. As for why that happened, it appears that there was a loose or dirty connection causing the electricity to seek the path of least resistance, thereby eroding the plastic.

I discovered I scream the same way whether I'm about to be eaten by a great white shark or if a piece of seaweed touches my foot.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:52 PM

Thanks for the quick response! Excuse my ignorance, but what is a dirty connection? and is there any way to check if I have a dirty connection?

Where would you suggest be the best place to order some replacement bulbs?

Thanks for your help!
Old 01-08-2013, 11:25 PM

Mein Auto: 00 528ia Sport
your headlights are fine, just need to replace the bulbs and d2s adapter, what kind of hid kit did you get?
M5 F+R Bumpers, M5 Mirrors with OEM setup, M5 rear sway bar, Cluster Rings, 03 Business player with AUX input, HID fogs slim, OEM 01+ Hella headlights, Euro Lens, EAC Aluminum Adjusters, FX-R low beam retrofit, Umnitza Orion halos, Hella Euro Celis Retrofit Kit, Koni yellow shocks with H&R Sport Springs, 19" M6 Reps, Full LEDs.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:24 AM

ah good news! where would you suggest buying new bulbs from?

I bought the kit from Umnitza here: http://www.umnitza.com/hella-oe-xeno...gy-p-1095.html

however I never received my second angel eye globe (only one!), even after communicating with them.
They were however helpful in trying to solve the issue of the lights not working.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:50 AM

Mein Auto: 03' e39
wow, expensive! Try here: http://www.schmiedmann.com/5_series/...ge1.htm#paging

I found them to be more responsive and pleasant to deal with. Bulbs included as well.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:04 AM

Mein Auto: 00 528ia Sport
I got my hid kit from DDM tuning.
M5 F+R Bumpers, M5 Mirrors with OEM setup, M5 rear sway bar, Cluster Rings, 03 Business player with AUX input, HID fogs slim, OEM 01+ Hella headlights, Euro Lens, EAC Aluminum Adjusters, FX-R low beam retrofit, Umnitza Orion halos, Hella Euro Celis Retrofit Kit, Koni yellow shocks with H&R Sport Springs, 19" M6 Reps, Full LEDs.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:57 PM
Constantly Learning

Mein Auto: 1999 M3, 2002 M5
Supra -- I just had a good experience with Schmiedmann too. But the link you provided and the prices are halogen, not HID:

Fits on models: E39

All models with facelift without xenon

OP, I get my bulbs from powerbulbs.com. Never priced out HID. The cheapest option will no doubt be Amazon.
Fern Green 99 M3, Conforti Shark Software, Conforti CAI, Dinan Exhaust. Stamped LTWs, 235x40 square, OEM Hella heads, ///M Pedal Kit, Clear Corners, OEM Rear Spoiler, CD43 stereo. MRegistry listing here.
Le Mans 2002 M5, Black/Titanium, Rogue SSK, Dinan exhaust, PSS9 coilovers, Euro rotors, iPod integration. MRegistry listing here.

Last edited by Edgy36-39; 01-09-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:01 PM

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
I'd return the kit for a refund. Looks like a quality issue.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:56 AM

Damn, I love this forum. Thanks for the assistance guys!

So the original sale states phillips bulbs, so I'm thinking on this page as suggested: http://www.schmiedmann.com/5_series/...page9.htm#4876
the "Xenon bulb Phillips D2-S Colour Match (4800K) (keeps the colour)", Product number: AL85122CM ??

or Powerbulbs here: http://www.powerbulbs.com/product/ph...s-85122-single

Is this/these the correct bulb(s)?

If these guys have been proven to have better communication I'd prefer go with them and spend slightly more than mess around with amazon;
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Xenon-...=pd_sim_auto_1

and angel eye bulbs here: http://www.amazon.com/BMW-Angel-Eyes...angel+eye+bulb
I think 6000k is plenty, I don't want them too white. TBH I like the orange stock look of the celis!

Supradupe - haha yeah I figured I would get what you pay for right... but didn't quite work out this time. Your Alpina is gorgeous!
EdJack - Umnitza have ceased replying to my e-mails unfortunately.

Last edited by Richie13; 01-10-2013 at 03:58 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:11 PM
www.umnitza.com

Mein Auto: ///M
Richie,

Apologies for any issues you have. however, we don't cease to reply to any emails, if we don't reply, it's because we didn't get them.
Please try our online messaging system - Contact US. if you are having issues.
We will do our best to answer your questions. We're even - on odd days - available by Skype for a phone consult if you need it.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:05 PM

Mein Auto: 03' e39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgy36-39 View Post
Supra -- I just had a good experience with Schmiedmann too. But the link you provided and the prices are halogen, not HID:

Fits on models: E39

All models with facelift without xenon

OP, I get my bulbs from powerbulbs.com. Never priced out HID. The cheapest option will no doubt be Amazon.
It is on that page, scroll down the page and you will find the xenon verson.