Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-09-2013, 01:07 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 323i
Diamond key DIY HELP!

so iam in a bit of a headache right now. I did the diy for the diamond key upgrade from my old square key and i did everything from ordering two keys (one oem and the other just the case) swapping the internal from the oem one to the case getting it cut ($35) and then swapping in the chip. Everything works execpt the engine start. I guess its the chip haveing trouble talking to my car

this is rhe way i put ny transponder chip inside my new key, and it still does not turn ny engine on. Ive programed the key to lock and unlock but not start thecar. If i take the chip out and put it into my orginal square key it works, but nothing works on my diamond key execpt the remote
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1357711963.259124.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	356797   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1357711998.422140.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	356798  
Advertisement
Old 01-15-2013, 10:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1999 323i
You have to remove the EWS coil from the diamond key circuit board. You have two EWS chips responding to the cars query. The problem with removing the coil though is that the diamond key battery will no longer charge and will run down is 6-12 months. This is one big problem with using a diamond key on a car that originally came with the rubber button key. I don't like the aftermarket diamond key housings. They don't seal out moisture, the board doesn't fit right and they feel cheap. I saw on eBay just yesterday aftermarket BMW remote boards without EWS. Just the remote. It also has a replaceable battery in a nice holder. Not sure if it will work on the older cars that use the NEC remote chip. To find the board on eBay I was searching "BMW 433mhz board"

Last edited by scottjoh; 01-26-2013 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:54 AM

Mein Auto: '05 AW/IR M3
Trying flipping the key in the ignition, your transponder is probably too far from the ignition cylinder. Another way to test it is take the transponder from the old key hold it next to the ignition and use your new key to start it. Also make sure you glue it in place, when I did the upgrade my transponder got loose and it wouldn't start half the time.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:04 PM

How bout un soldering the little 8pin chip would that still let me keep the recharging capability?
Old 01-23-2013, 03:51 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
I don't know the answer but it might be in one of these related threads, particularly the one in red bold below:

- How to replace the old-style BMW E39 square key battery (1) (2) (3) & how to replace the rubber key pads in the old style square keys (1) (2) & opening, charging, recoding, & battery replacement (1) of the new-style diamond key (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) & how to recharge off your BMW and how long a BMW key will last in the drawer before it needs that off-the-car recharging (1) & converting the old-style square key to the newer diamond shaped key (1) & the details on swapping the BMW diamond key transponder (1) & proper diamond key initializing (1) (2) & what to do if your key is locked inside your bimmer (1) & a description of the various types of BMW Remote, Illuminated, Spare/Wallet, & Valet/Service keys (1) (2) & a list of diamond key EWS, FZV, & DWA functions (1) (2) & all about the 10-key limit to programming your own keys at home (1) & a description of the ignition key ISN (individual serial number) ten-second rule (1) & what to do if you lost your only diamond key (1) or what to do if your BMW key was stolen (1)

Old 01-23-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aking23 View Post
How bout un soldering the little 8pin chip would that still let me keep the recharging capability?
It should work, at least it worked for me
Old 01-23-2013, 09:13 PM

blue bee thanks for the links, but ive already read through all of your links before posting this but no luck

pendulum, does it keep it charged because i hear supposedly our cars arnt capable of recharging the new diamond key, and btw i tryed that on the first board and there was a little wire sticking out that went from the coil wrapped thing to the chip, i posted it on fanatics,

heres the link with the picture of the little wire (its the last reply )

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...616&highlight=
Old 01-26-2013, 10:46 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aking23 View Post
No. That will not keep recharging capability.
For the diamond style key's EWS to not interfere with the EWS chip from the rubber button key you need to remove the coil. Do you understand? Remove the coil. You can leave the 8-pin chip there or take it out it doesn't matter, but, remove the coil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendulum View Post
It should work, at least it worked for me
If the 8-pin chip isn't there then the battery will not charge, I repeat, will not charge. There is no way to retain charging capability.

Last edited by scottjoh; 01-26-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:20 PM

I didn't need to remove the charging coil to get it to work, all I did was remove the 8-pin chip and it worked flawlessly. I can't comment on the recharging though as I only had the car for 6 months after I changed the key.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:10 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
This question has been asked before (e.g., see post #20 here):

In addition, here is a composite I made today:

----

----

See also:
- How to replace the old-style BMW square key battery (1) (2) & how to replace the rubber key pads in the square keys (1) (2) & what the red LED indicates on the old square key (1) & what can go wrong with a key and where to send it for repair (1) (2) (3) & what battery to use in the new style 2000+ BMW E39, E46, E53, E85, etc. diamond key (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) & a square key to diamond key retrofit and transponder swap (1) (2) (3) (4) & diamond key to square key retrofit questions (1) & how to recharge your key out of your BMW and how long that key will last in the drawer before it needs that off-the-car recharging (1) & the details on swapping the BMW diamond key transponder (1) & the proper diamond key initializing or programming sequence (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & what to do if your only key is locked inside your bimmer (1) & a description of the various types of BMW Remote, Illuminated, Spare/Wallet, & Valet/Service keys (1) (2) & a list of diamond key EWS, FZV, & DWA functions (1) (2) & all about the 10-key limit to programming your own keys at home (1) & a description of the ignition key ISN (individual serial number) ten-second rule (1) & what to do if you lost your only diamond key (1) or what to do if your BMW key was stolen (1)

Last edited by bluebee; 02-26-2013 at 02:38 AM.