Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328i F30
Album Art from Hard Drive possible?

Hi everyone, I noticed today that an MP3 playlist on a USB drive shows album art when played from the USB slot in the armrest. Is there any way to get album art displayed for music imported onto the car's hard drive?

Thanks.
Ads by Google
Old 01-09-2013, 12:16 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post
Hi everyone, I noticed today that an MP3 playlist on a USB drive shows album art when played from the USB slot in the armrest. Is there any way to get album art displayed for music imported onto the car's hard drive?

Thanks.
Unfortunately, no.

The hard drive does not support that feature.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 01-09-2013, 12:37 PM

Thanks BJ, I may just get a 32Gb USB drive and start listening off that.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:39 PM

Mein Auto: 320 soon
hi

I dont know how (I think it is downloaded automaticly) but in my F31 uk I do have all the album art available.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Bimmer App
Old 01-09-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belhysys View Post
hi

I dont know how (I think it is downloaded automaticly) but in my F31 uk I do have all the album art available.

Really? Maybe your F31 has this feature from the upgraded NAV? Any US AH3 owners who can confirm if they get album art from music stored on the vehicle's hard drive?
Old 01-09-2013, 01:11 PM
Playin' With Your Head

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Unfortunately, no.

The hard drive does not support that feature.

BJ
Even if you upload the album cover .jpgs? I'd guess people don't typically include those with the MP3s they uploaded.

133U | 300 | 8AT | LCSW | ZDH | ZLP | ZPP | ZTP | 494 | 4AB | 508 | 5AC | 688
Old 01-09-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfh View Post
Even if you upload the album cover .jpgs? I'd guess people don't typically include those with the MP3s they uploaded.
I think it has to do with the way file structures work differently depending on what software you are using to make your MP3's in the first place.

I read online that if you use Windows Media Player to organize your music and playlists that album art is possible on the hard drive, not sure if that's true.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 01-09-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks BJ, I may just get a 32Gb USB drive and start listening off that.
Please don't take this the wrong way as it is intended to be helpful:

Just get an iPod already.

There is no need to suffer with BMW's hard drive solution nor tiny thumb drives with limited capacity. The iPod does one thing better than everything else- it uses iTunes to organize, tag, playlist, and transfer your music into iDrive.

You can get an old beater iPod Touch on Craiglist for $65 or less and have perfect iDrive integration, there's no need to waste time with twitchy hard drives and thumb drives. I know some people dislike Apple and some people want to take advantage of the ports they've already paid BMW for. I get that.

But in the end, you're just shorting yourself when you shouldn't. Organize your music in iTunes, get a used iPod Touch, put these issues behind you. It's a $50,000 car. Spend the $65 and move on.

BJ

Old 01-09-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Please don't take this the wrong way as it is intended to be helpful:

Just get an iPod already.

There is no need to suffer with BMW's hard drive solution nor tiny thumb drives with limited capacity. The iPod does one thing better than everything else- it uses iTunes to organize, tag, playlist, and transfer your music into iDrive.

You can get an old beater iPod Touch on Craiglist for $65 or less and have perfect iDrive integration, there's no need to waste time with twitchy hard drives and thumb drives. I know some people dislike Apple and some people want to take advantage of the ports they've already paid BMW for. I get that.

But in the end, you're just shorting yourself when you shouldn't. Organize your music in iTunes, get a used iPod Touch, put these issues behind you. It's a $50,000 car. Spend the $65 and move on.

BJ
Good point, I probably will end up doing this, but isn't there any lag time before music starts each time you drive?
Old 01-09-2013, 02:29 PM
Donkeybike?

Mein Auto: HP2Sport - R1200GS - F30
Do only cars with the NAV iDrive screen display album art or can the bottom rung iDrive screens display the art as well?
Old 01-09-2013, 03:29 PM
Playin' With Your Head

Quote:
I think it has to do with the way file structures work differently depending on what software you are using to make your MP3's in the first place.

I read online that if you use Windows Media Player to organize your music and playlists that album art is possible on the hard drive, not sure if that's true.

BJ
Interesting, because that is how I did my CDs, through WMP. But I also have numerous albums obtained other ways, e.g., Amazon purchase. Either way, all 1,500 or so of my albums have art associated to them. I may include them on the stick for S&G and see how it comes out.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:32 PM
Playin' With Your Head

Quote:
Good point, I probably will end up doing this, but isn't there any lag time before music starts each time you drive?
With my 2009, the first time I ever plugged it in, it took forever, which in 21st Century terms is a couple of minutes, but then after that it would start up within two or three seconds. It might have been communicating and associating tag information that first time.

Last edited by chasfh; 01-09-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:54 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by belhysys View Post
hi

Could you please share how you burn your music so the Album Art goes it it into the HDD?

I have seen OEM photos of music in the HDD supporting Album Art, as well Bluetooth Audio supporting Album Art. It just happens that so far neither have been possible at least in the USA, AFAIK.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:00 PM

Mein Auto: ~
Once one embeds the album art into your compressed file format container of choice won't the art display as with any other file playing device?
Old 01-09-2013, 04:02 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
Once one embeds the album art into your compressed file format container of choice won't the art display as with any other file playing device?
I have tried that and it just won't work from the HDD.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:19 PM

Interesting that it will display embedded art from the USB port, but not from the HD.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
No lag at all with an iPod Touch because it's all flash based, no hard drive, no moving parts at all.

BJ

Old 01-09-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
Interesting that it will display embedded art from the USB port, but not from the HD.
The USB port is just that- it's a port. It's connected to a device with an operating system.

The HD is just that- it's a drive. It has its own operating system.

iDrive sees the ID3 tags from standard thumbdrives but does not from it's own hard disk as they have implemented an OS that can't handle the file structure or naming conventions or something that's preventing it from doing what a $5 USB drive and a $20 USB port can do in its sleep.

BJ

Old 01-09-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioK View Post
Do only cars with the NAV iDrive screen display album art or can the bottom rung iDrive screens display the art as well?
Only cars with combox and the BMW Assist With Enhanced Bluetooth & USB feature get album art. An easy way to know:

If you connect with the white Apple cord through the armrest, you get album art.

If you connect with the BMW "Y" cord through the armrest, you don't.

BJ

Old 01-09-2013, 04:50 PM
Donkeybike?

Mein Auto: HP2Sport - R1200GS - F30
Quote:
Only cars with combox and the BMW Assist With Enhanced Bluetooth & USB feature get album art. An easy way to know:

If you connect with the white Apple cord through the armrest, you get album art.

If you connect with the BMW "Y" cord through the armrest, you don't.

BJ
And via USB drive through the armrest?
Old 01-09-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
My understanding is that if your car has pro nav and BMW Assist w/Enhanced Bluetooth & USB that the armrest USB drive will display album art and ID3 tags so long as it is handled properly by whatever software you use to put that information on the thumbdrive to begin with.

Not 100% sure as I've never tried. I can if you'd like me to.

BJ

Old 01-09-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Yes, at least if the art is embedded in an MP3.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:56 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
No lag at all with an iPod Touch because it's all flash based, no hard drive, no moving parts at all.

BJ
Plus, when you unlock the car either with the remote or using comfort access the electronics come on and basically prime the iPod. By the time you start the car the music is ready to go pretty much instantly.

I just leave an iPod touch in my arm rest and my iPhone is connected by bluetooth.