Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-09-2013, 11:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 98 540 6sp, 87 Audi
Broken Wiper

During a typical Seattle day the driver's side blade came out and got caught by the other side. It all froze, I pulled over, and removed the blade. The driver's side still works (even though I can't reattach the blade, it got bent by the other side) But the passenger side arm is not moving. Something broken? something came off? Is is easy to get in there to see what's happening? Anyone else experienced this? Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 01-09-2013, 02:41 PM

Mein Auto: '03 525i
Go here to get an idea of how the wiper system works: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...47&hg=61&fg=45
Each wiper arm is driven by a link or "drive rod." There must be something wrong with the passenger side drive rod or the related parts for that side. Once you get the wipers arms off (likely need a small puller) and pull the plastic cowl from the base of the windshield, you should be able to see what is going on. Its not too much more work to remove the entire assembly as a unit, which may be necessary anyway since few individual parts are available. You may need an assembly from a salvage yard. FYI, I jerry-rigged the driver's side once because the plastic bushing in the rod end wore out and dropped off of the driving ball. I just drilled through the ball and used a small screw and nut with fender washers to hold the assembly together (bushing not sold separately). It worked until the car finally died at 325k miles.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:11 PM

Mein Auto: 98 540 6sp, 87 Audi
Thanks for the info and the diagram. Weather should help this weekend, so I may give it a try.