Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 10-17-2011, 01:47 PM

Mein Auto: E46 & E21
RIP Dan Wheldon

RIP

I rode by his house today and there were flowers left for the family.

http://www.sbnation.com/nascar/2011/...las-vegas-2011

Old 10-17-2011, 02:44 PM
:(){ :|:& };:

Mein Auto: 325 Ci
Terribly unfortunate - he was a very skilled driver.

I agree with Mansell's assessment of the situation.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:32 PM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
But IndyCar put up a special challenge to feature Wheldon in the final race of the season. Wheldon would have to start in the back of the field, but would have a chance to win big money if he was able to make a comeback and win it.

Beginning to sound like NASCAR to me.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:18 PM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Mein Auto: 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 330i View Post
But IndyCar put up a special challenge to feature Wheldon in the final race of the season. Wheldon would have to start in the back of the field, but would have a chance to win big money if he was able to make a comeback and win it.

Beginning to sound like NASCAR to me.
Unfortunately, Indy car is losing it's audience and is resorting to ill thought out stunts to try to get it back. Dan paid the ultimate price for it. A shame.

Godspeed Dan.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...?id=1338939628
"I May Be Going To Hell In A Bucket But At Least I'm Enjoying The Ride"
Old 10-17-2011, 06:50 PM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan2263 View Post
Unfortunately, Indy car is losing it's audience and is resorting to ill thought out stunts to try to get it back. Dan paid the ultimate price for it. A shame.

Godspeed Dan.
I read $5M.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:55 PM
Overly Intellectual

Mein Auto: 2002 M5, 1999 M Roadster
He would have gotten a $5M payout.

It's sad. I agree that it wasn't well thought out. I thought that the put the fastest qualifiers at the front of the pack to avoid unnecessary traffic.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A car
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_m5 View Post

It's sad. I agree that it wasn't well thought out. I thought that the put the fastest qualifiers at the front of the pack to avoid unnecessary traffic.
as someone already mentioned, Nigel Mansell said that it was an accident waiting to happen... reading between the lines, I think he means the size of the pack, the short track with high banking and very high average speed, and the idiotic concept of putting the fastest car in last place to battle his way through that large pack... it was an idiotic concept in my opion... I guess we're lucky that not more were killed or seriously injured, the idea was folly to say the least...

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!
Old 10-18-2011, 03:48 PM
Bo-ma-win!

Send a message via Yahoo to beewang
Mein Auto: S62 E39
220 MPH on an oval track w/ Open Wheels in traffic is JUST PLAIN STUPID!!
Old 10-18-2011, 05:32 PM
:(){ :|:& };:

Mein Auto: 325 Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_m5 View Post

To be fair $2.5M would have gone to a fan - and it didn't seem to me while watching the video that Wheldon either caused the crash or that he wiped out due to reckless driving on his part. The originally proposed multiple driver race from the back to the front for $5M didn't get any support so the only driver making such a push would have been Wheldon. To me the biggest controllable contributing factor looks like the track design and racing format.

With that said, I don't like these sorts of gimmicks from a sporting or safety perspective.

Last edited by Deepak; 10-18-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:32 AM
I'm smarter than you're.

Mein Auto: 2015 VW GTI Autobahn
I find myself really missing Dan Wheldon this time of year. Dan was an absolute brilliant strategist at Indy. He always stayed out of trouble and saw to it that he was in the perfect position to take the lead when others crashed or had mechanical issues. Had Dan lived, I'm sure that he would have been the 1st 5-time winner of the Indy500.
RIP: Dan

Dan's record @ Indy:

2003: 19th
2004: 3rd
2005: 1st
2006: 4th
2007: 22nd
2008: 12th
2009: 2nd
2010: 2nd
2011: 1st
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wheldon.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	377867  

Last edited by Paul335i; 05-21-2013 at 12:26 PM.