Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:05 PM

Mein Auto: 645ci
Faulty Battery :( Purchase from dealership?

Hi Everyone!

Just to recap, I wasnt sure if I previously had a battery issue or alternator issue. Well, I finally bought my car into my shop and they told me I had a faulty battery..

Problem is, that they want to charge 600$ for a new battery and installation. Plus $120 to look at the car, so a total of almost $720CAD!

Is that worth it?

Or am I better off sourcing my own battery and putting it in myself? (My boyfriend is able to put the battery in for me if I need him to)

Also, if I were to source my own battery... any recommendations on a good location in vancouver bc?

i saw in a previous post that I would need

110AH regular Bmw battery
or
90AH AGM Bmw Battery

Does it matter which one I get?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Ads by Google
Old 01-09-2013, 08:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Hopefully that was a dealer giving that estimate and not an indie mechanic.

The battery costs about $215 and an indie should charge about $100 to install it, including registering the battery to the car.

The battery is massive on this car and considering the number of issues that happen when voltage drops I would not attempt to install an aftermarket battery unless you can find one with similar specs. (I have yet to see one) A large Canadian Tire Eliminator battery will not be that much cheaper than an OEM battery purchased from a dealer like Tischer.

If you can find the AGM I would go for that option. It costs a little more ($215 vs $187) but it is a much higher quality battery despite it's slightly lower specs.

If you want more info just search here for AGM and you will find many threads on the subject.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Last edited by Yorgi; 01-09-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:09 PM

Mein Auto: 645ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorgi View Post
Hopefully that was a dealer giving that estimate and not an indie mechanic.

The battery costs about $215 and an indie should charge about $100 to install it, including registering the battery to the car.

The battery is massive on this car and considering the number of issues that happen when voltage drops I would not attempt to install an aftermarket battery unless you can find one with similar specs. (I have yet to see one) A large Canadian Tire Eliminator battery will not be that much cheaper than an OEM battery purchased from a dealer like Tischer.

If you can find the AGM I would go for that option. It costs a little more ($215 vs $187) but it is a much higher quality battery despite it's slightly lower specs.

If you want more info just search here for AGM and you will find many threads on the subject.
Thanks so much! I checked out the post on AGM and it def does seem better but I called around and in Vancouver, they only sell OEM batterys. I found one for $220 which is quite do-able

my next question would be if I install it myself, would I need to reprogram it? I read conflicting reviews that say I would have problems and other reviews that said everything would be fine.

Thanks so much again
Old 01-10-2013, 04:13 PM

Mein Auto: 630i, 525i, 320iC
Have a look at the few threads on here regarding registering the battery. It is advisable to register the change of battery in order to maximise the life of your new battery. By registering the battery you are telling the power module to,change the charging profile/cycle to suit a new battery. It adjusts its charging profile over the life of the car, it constantly monitors the status of the battery.
Here's a screen shot from the reading of a battery from an e63

Old 01-10-2013, 11:45 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyDose19 View Post
Thanks so much! I checked out the post on AGM and it def does seem better but I called around and in Vancouver, they only sell OEM batterys. I found one for $220 which is quite do-able

my next question would be if I install it myself, would I need to reprogram it? I read conflicting reviews that say I would have problems and other reviews that said everything would be fine.

Thanks so much again
Both AGM and the lead cell are OEM, but if you can't source an AGM the older battery is fine. AGM is a newer technology and better for several reasons. Here is a list of a few of the advantages.

Personally I would register the battery for the longer life.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater