Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i
Radio delay/echo

Has anyone else had any issues with certain radio (FM) stations repeating/echoing about 2 seconds of audio? About three weeks ago, I noticed that one of my stations (106.1 in Dallas) would repeat about 2 seconds of audio every couple of minutes. At first I thought it was just the station, then I found two others that did the same thing. I then thought that maybe it was several stations owned by the same company and they had a problem with their transmissions. I figured it would be resolved, but a couple weeks later it hadn't and I couldn't find anything about it on the web. Figured if this was affecting other people in a city the size of Dallas, something would be out there. Here's what I've seen:

1. Problem is only with FM (satellite which has a buffer is fine)
2. Occurs within 5 seconds of changing the station to one affected. Otherwise happens about every 3-5 minutes.
3. Occurs when I go into a garage which leads me to think that it has to be my car and not the transmitting station
4. Happens on HD and standard stations (not all though)
5. Noticed on 102.1, 102.9 and 106.1 in Dallas
6. My wife's car (non BMW) doesn't have an issue so it's either my radio, or my radio not meshing with those stations

Any thoughts?
Ads by Google
Old 06-29-2012, 06:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i
Found the issue. This only occurs when the radio has HD enabled. I've heard from 2 others that have the same issue. Disabling HD resolves the problem, but it seems like a crappy solution.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alienranch View Post
Found the issue. This only occurs when the radio has HD enabled. I've heard from 2 others that have the same issue. Disabling HD resolves the problem, but it seems like a crappy solution.
Had the same problem in my 2010 535i in the NY-NJ area. I also disabled the HD and the problem was gone . So much for free HD.
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 01-09-2013, 06:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
How do you turn off the HD?

I also have this problem in my 2011 328i in the Austin, Tx area. I have to agree that having to turn HD off is a crappy solution for such a car. Nonetheless, how do you turn it off on a 328i without iDrive? Please be specific.

Is there possibly a firmware or software upgrade that will resolve this?
Old 01-09-2013, 07:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
That's generally because the radio station is misconfigured -- their HD and analog streams should be in sync, not a few seconds apart. Otherwise, the transition between t
The two won't be seamless if you're in a poor HD reception area
Old 01-09-2013, 07:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
I understand why and wasn't asking... but thanks. I just want to know how to turn it off on my radio. Do you know how?
Old 01-09-2013, 08:06 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by vern View Post
Had the same problem in my 2010 535i in the NY-NJ area. I also disabled the HD and the problem was gone . So much for free HD.
cheers
vern
Interesting. I only listen to a few HD stations, but they are crystal-clear with no reverb.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 01-10-2013, 08:25 AM
Playin' With Your Head

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by alienranch View Post
My guess is that you are far away enough from the station's transmitter that you are on the edge of its HD coverage. So as you are driving and moving about, you are alternately getting and losing HD. It sounds like a delay and an echo because the normal "analog" signal is a different signal from the digital HD signal, and they might be a few seconds apart, depending on the station. I noticed this when I was driving away from Chicago and got to about Michigan City, IN. But when I am in the city, no problem.

Think this might be it?

133U | 300 | 8AT | LCSW | ZDH | ZLP | ZPP | ZTP | 494 | 4AB | 508 | 5AC | 688

Last edited by chasfh; 01-10-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:52 AM

Mein Auto: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwpass View Post
I also have this problem in my 2011 328i in the Austin, Tx area. I have to agree that having to turn HD off is a crappy solution for such a car. Nonetheless, how do you turn it off on a 328i without iDrive? Please be specific.

Is there possibly a firmware or software upgrade that will resolve this?
It's because you live in CP, and the HD signal don't come with the same strength out here. Happens to me also, but it doesn't do it all the time just a few times. Once you get more in to town it doesn't do it as much or at all. Sorry can't help you disabling it, got the iDrive.