Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645ci
yes...another aux input question ;-)

I have searched and searched with no luck. I am looking for the best possible solution to be able to play Pandora through my iPhone in my car. i have a 2005 645ci with navigation and a 6 disc changer in the glovebox. I don't care so much about being able to play music that's stored on my phone as I do being able to play pandora. My local dealership quoted me $80 for the aux cable and an hours worth of labor so $225. But from what I understand they also have to update my idrive so the aux is available and this could cost me another couple hours of labor. Are we really looking at about $500 to have this thing installed and functional?! Is there any other way like maybe wire something in to the existing 6 disc cheger wiring and just use the CD option in idrive to play the sound for aux? Not sure if it makes a difference but my car does not play mp3's in the single disc slot or the 6 disc changer. Please help...I have read on forums for about a week now and can't get a clear answer. Thanks in advance for the responses. I'm open to any options that will allow me to play pandora in my car other than and FM tranmitter of course!
Ads by Google
Old 07-18-2012, 01:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
You have come to the right place!

The dealer quoted you pretty high for the Idrive update portion. Probably about right for the physical install of the cable. You have to disassemble the entire middle section to get to the back of the radio module to install the Aux-In kit. It can be done on your own, below is a thread that goes into the details you need, scroll down to post #4 in that thread.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ht=aux+install

OK, first of all, you have to buy the Aux cable, which is usually $20 to $70 depending on how and where you get it. Then take apart the dash and install it, the hardest part.

Once it is installed then the Idrive has to be coded to accept the signal. If you are very computer savvy and are good at hacking devices you can buy a $20 cable to program yourself, but it is pretty hard for a novice to get all correct and figure how to hack into the Idrive firmware. But there are resources that you can use that will make it straightforward, it all depends on your level of technical ability.

To answer the question about the changer, it is a Fiber Optic connection so there is no way for you to tap into that, you would have to buy an Ipod adapter, search for that keyword and you will get a lot of results.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645ci
Thank you for the response...I am going to hold off on the aux for now as I have bigger issues to deal with...tires as you've seen in my other thread. This info will come in handy though when I circle back around to it! My cousin is pretty techy and could do the install and possibly the programming too. Does the iPod adapter have aux in or whatever or will it only play music from your library on your phone. I'm a big Pandora user and if pandora isn't playing a song I really want to hear I'm known to go to my youtube app and listen to it there : )
Old 07-20-2012, 05:33 AM

If you have a CD changer in the glove compartment then it is straightforward Ipod interface install. If not it is much more difficult and I really do not know those details.

I don't think the standard BMW Ipod connector also has Aux input. But some of the aftermarket ones may, I am not sure whether Dension or one of the equivalents have that.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645CI
When you say "straightforward Ipod interface install", what does that mean? I too have an '05 645CI, with navigation and the glove-box 6 disk cd changer. But I've spent HOURS on the BMW website and this forum and still dont think I understand what is the best (ok, subjective) solutions for (1) either a simple Aux-in iPod player or (2) (and appropriate for me) full iPod integration into the car, to include iDrive interface with the songs, podcasts on iPod. I've seen Dension Gateway 500 suggestions, armrest snap-in interfaces, and so forth -and thought I understood, until I realized I was reading a post from 2008. Being new to the forum (and car) can you put it close to idiot-proof - I wont even take offense!
thanks
dave
Old 07-20-2012, 07:06 PM

The physical installation of the hardware is straightforward if you have a CD changer. The reason is that the MOST fiber optic cable is already routed into the glovebox area. If you do not have a changer then I believe you have to install the cable all the way back to the radio module in the dash. Therefore it becomes much more work!

Here is the deal, if you can load a hundred MP3 songs on to a CD and play from the center CD slot in your dash then you can use the BMW Ipod interface and will have the functionality without requiring a dealer upgrade. But if you CANNOT play MP3's from a disc then you would need to install the hardware AND get an update to your Idrive.

There are several aftermarket solutions like Mobridge and Dension. Research and see what you find. I don't know that much about them other than seeing posts over the years. Personally I hate all things Apple so my concentration wanes quickly when reading about it. Not to mention when I am typing about it, I am fading....fading....fading
Old 01-09-2013, 05:35 PM

Mein Auto: 650 ic
cd chamger in glove box

I once read a DIY where you just unplug the changer and plug in the aux male piece. Can anyone point me in the rt direction. Thanks
Old 01-09-2013, 08:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk123 View Post
I once read a DIY where you just unplug the changer and plug in the aux male piece. Can anyone point me in the rt direction. Thanks
Denison 500 is what you want, look here

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White