Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 01-15-2013, 06:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 550i xDrive
I agree with you as well, but I was checking for BMGUY because he also has xdrive and claims that he can feel a steering difference. Personally I have not noticed any.

14 Porsche Boxster S - http://www.porsche-code.com/PED27M31

12 BMW 550i xDrive (Dinan S5, Intercoolers, Exhaust, Springs/Shockware, Negative Camber/Low Compliance Arms & Intake; 3M CR40; AG M355, Michelin PSS & Tikore Ti Lugs) - Alpine White, Beige, M Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, ARS, Sport Auto, Power Shades, Side/Top Cameras, HUD & BMW Apps.

13 Infiniti JX35 AWD (Gone)

07 BMW 550i (Gone)

09 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 (Gone)
Old 01-15-2013, 07:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 Dinan 550xi
That's for checking... I wa slaying with it today also just to see if I was out to lunch...

Hereis what I noticed
At idle, and car not moving threes no difference I can detect.
When the car is moving and I switch back and forth there is a difference I can feel, but it takes about 2 seconds for the steering to firm up. It's not dramatic just a little stiffer, enough to notice.

And once again, when the car slows down the resistance seems to reduce and starts to feel the same as comfort mode the slower it goes.

I could be completely imagining this... But it's so convincing when I try it. I asked a passenger to drive and see, and they said the same, subtle but there...

I'm wondering if there is even mechanical stuff to allow for this?

Either way the question was to see if the steering retained its feel from sport when in comfort mode, which was answered as yes it does... So at leader know what to expect there...
Old 01-15-2013, 07:52 PM

Just went to BMW website and it in fact specialty says steering tightens! I don't think I'm wrong on this, maybe a difference in features in the cars? I'm fully loaded except soft close doors

Text below from the following web link...
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...trol.html#more

Driving Experience Control.
How would you like to drive today? Driving Experience Control, fitted as standard, makes the difference. Adapt your BMW 5 Series Sedan to meet your needs or those of your passengers.
A touch of the Driving Experience Control next to the gearshift lever changes the level of driving pleasure from COMFORT to SPORT: the engine responds more spontaneously to the accelerator and the eight-speed transmission Steptronic lets the engine rev high before quickly changing up a gear. At the same time the steering and chassis tighten. Touch the paddle again to enter the SPORT + mode where the Dynamic Stability Control allows controlled drifting to the limit.

The currently active mode is permanently displayed underneath the speedometer, and in the SPORT mode the drive train and chassis settings can be quickly and individually configured using the iDrive Controller for dynamic driving on badly surfaced roads for example.

The COMFORT+ mode is available with Dynamic Damping Control which provides both the driver and passengers with maximum comfort on longer journeys.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i xDrive
The bottom line is that the Shockware feels really good and anyone with a 550 should schedule the first available appointment to have it installed, especially if you already have springs installed.

14 Porsche Boxster S - http://www.porsche-code.com/PED27M31

12 BMW 550i xDrive (Dinan S5, Intercoolers, Exhaust, Springs/Shockware, Negative Camber/Low Compliance Arms & Intake; 3M CR40; AG M355, Michelin PSS & Tikore Ti Lugs) - Alpine White, Beige, M Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, ARS, Sport Auto, Power Shades, Side/Top Cameras, HUD & BMW Apps.

13 Infiniti JX35 AWD (Gone)

07 BMW 550i (Gone)

09 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 (Gone)
Old 01-15-2013, 08:30 PM

I'm already in Board... Heading in on the 25 th....
I'm pretty happy that the default will in fact be the sport mode.... That's worth the money alone... And it sounds like sport plus puts it over he top... Looking forward to this upgrade for sure

Thanks for the early review btw...
Old 01-16-2013, 09:57 AM

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmguy View Post
Just went to BMW website and it in fact specialty says steering tightens! I don't think I'm wrong on this, maybe a difference in features in the cars? I'm fully loaded except soft close doors

Text below from the following web link...
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...trol.html#more

Driving Experience Control.
How would you like to drive today? Driving Experience Control, fitted as standard, makes the difference. Adapt your BMW 5 Series Sedan to meet your needs or those of your passengers.
A touch of the Driving Experience Control next to the gearshift lever changes the level of driving pleasure from COMFORT to SPORT: the engine responds more spontaneously to the accelerator and the eight-speed transmission Steptronic lets the engine rev high before quickly changing up a gear. At the same time the steering and chassis tighten. Touch the paddle again to enter the SPORT + mode where the Dynamic Stability Control allows controlled drifting to the limit.

The currently active mode is permanently displayed underneath the speedometer, and in the SPORT mode the drive train and chassis settings can be quickly and individually configured using the iDrive Controller for dynamic driving on badly surfaced roads for example.

The COMFORT+ mode is available with Dynamic Damping Control which provides both the driver and passengers with maximum comfort on longer journeys.
And that is true for non-xi vehicles that use electronic steering. Not the xi which uses hydraulic. If I remember correctly their is something that changes the amount of pressure needed on the steering wheel depending on speed (you need more help in a parking lot then at 120MPH) but it does not have anything to do with the Sport/Comfort settings. At least not on the xi. Sorry to disappoint.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:36 PM

Mein Auto: 03 M3 Vert, 11 550i M
Got Dinan Shockwave software installed today and I can pretty much say WoW what a difference. I have a 2011 550i w/ M Sport w/ ARS and ACS Springs. I drove 60 miles home on Normal mode and this mode felt firmer than under the stock Sport mode. Switched it to the new Sport mode but couldn't tell the difference since the highway was pretty straight. Once I got closer to home I decided to try the car on a familiar downhill that has a sharp left turn. The first try was under Normal mode and the car did not have any body roll whatsoever. Then decided to try it under the new Sport mode. The car felt even tighter at the turn that made me feel confident to speed up a little bit to I point where I felt the Continental DWS All Season tires I had on was giving way. I have not tried the Comfort mode or the Sport+ mode yet. IMHO I think this mod is worth every penny Dinan is asking for and its the one of the several things they offer that is under $1k installed under 30 minutes.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 m5
Has anyone with Dinan suspension done the software upgrade? I'm sure there's a huge difference with the standard suspension + software. I wonder if there will be a significant difference when mated to the Dinan suspension though....
Old 01-23-2013, 01:30 PM

I have the Dinan susp already, going in on the 25th for the software so I will be able to enter an opnion once I have some time with the kit;
Old 01-28-2013, 04:04 PM

Well, got the car back from the shop today after having the shockware program, and its is very noticeable improvement...

I'm very pleased that it firms up the ride to almost like sport was before the upgrade... (I cant say if its exactly the same, but it feels really good);

I still find when I bump up to the new sports mode it drives very nice! very pleased; and as others have mentioned in much betters reviews than I could write, the sports plus is exactly what you you need to find the "sport" in this sedan....

Overall; I think if the car came like this from the factory, I think many more people would pleased! (you still get a very decent ride in comfort and normal, but sport and sport plus change this 550xi car in a very good way)

This is worth the upgrade cost without hesitation; I have it paired with the Dinan suspension, so I don't know how this performs with stock suspension but I suspect it would be a massive improvement for stock setup also.

I had the Dinan Suspension on for about 6 months before this software; and I can say that putting this on top of your Dinan mechanical susp upgrade is very worth while!

Sure feels like a German sports sedan now!

Last edited by bmguy; 01-28-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:29 AM

Mein Auto: 550 i
I took advantage of the 15% DINAN sale and did the Shockware mod. The car handles so much better. It even feels faster Highway on/off ramps are so much more fun to attack (about 5 MPH faster than before) on Sport+ setting.

It's a well worth mod and the nice thing about it is that I can drive in comfort mode and the family still has the luxury of a comfortable ride.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:21 PM
Life is too short not to

Mein Auto: BMW 550i Dinan2/X5 2012 t
Wink Just had Shockware with 15% discount and no Dinan springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjangi View Post
I took advantage of the 15% DINAN sale and did the Shockware mod. The car handles so much better. It even feels faster Highway on/off ramps are so much more fun to attack (about 5 MPH faster than before) on Sport+ setting.

It's a well worth mod and the nice thing about it is that I can drive in comfort mode and the family still has the luxury of a comfortable ride.

I just had it done

I am the first to have it done in Crown BMW NC
Likely the first in the whole Carolinas region then -

I couldn't fully test the new sports mode as my 3 yo son is with me today and for a doc appointment.

I couldn't tell any difference in normal which is supposedly sport now.

While in Sport new mode I believe I caught myself a little surprised and smiling while playing a little in the parking lot where the car seemed too flat to be my 550i,

BUT sometimes you just wanna feel good about your money ! -

So,
Anybody can tell me whether he/she had it with stock suspension and what his/her experience is?

And one more thing,
I read that some were describing the Shickware 2 steps up above the Lowering springs which were ACS in his case and the latter had been rated by him at one step above stock?
SO my QUESTION IS?
Is it really possible that a mere EDC Software could deliver twice as much as Hardware Springs!! Especially that some guys has ARS which I don't have By The Way.

Thank you so much,
Will post more about my experience.

I do have Stage 2 Dinan too and happy with that flr 6 months now, Zero regrets.

Speak up guys -
Though I asked and Crown BMW NC Greensboro doesn't do refunds on Dinan's products like other dealerships I heard about 3 days money back!!

Ed Vega did the install
A very nice and professional guy who had actually known Dinan since early 80's from Up in NY.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i xdrive
FYI Dinan has a 15% off all suspension (hardware and software) during the month of April. I think I'm going to make an appointment for Saturday.

2012 F10 550i M-Sport | Dark Graphite II | Hex Aluminum | Black Interior | Cold Weather | ARS | HUD | Side and Top View Cameras | BMW Apps | Premium Sound | M5 Style Spoiler | Rho-Plate | Dinan Stage 2 Tune | Dinan Suspension| Dinan Shockware | BMWPedals | 70% Crystalline Tint
Old 04-15-2013, 04:28 PM

Mein Auto: F10 550xi
You are probably the only one so far who had done the shockware upgrade on stock springs, have been waiting for such a review. I am probably pursuing similar setup on my 550.

How does comfort mode feel now, is it the same as before? I know many don't like the Buick like feel in comfort mode, but I like the split personality this car gives, where I can push it to the limits on track and ride home in luxury and don't want to give that up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma View Post
I just had it done

I am the first to have it done in Crown BMW NC
Likely the first in the whole Carolinas region then -

I couldn't fully test the new sports mode as my 3 yo son is with me today and for a doc appointment.

I couldn't tell any difference in normal which is supposedly sport now.

While in Sport new mode I believe I caught myself a little surprised and smiling while playing a little in the parking lot where the car seemed too flat to be my 550i,

BUT sometimes you just wanna feel good about your money ! -

So,
Anybody can tell me whether he/she had it with stock suspension and what his/her experience is?

And one more thing,
I read that some were describing the Shickware 2 steps up above the Lowering springs which were ACS in his case and the latter had been rated by him at one step above stock?
SO my QUESTION IS?
Is it really possible that a mere EDC Software could deliver twice as much as Hardware Springs!! Especially that some guys has ARS which I don't have By The Way.

Thank you so much,
Will post more about my experience.

I do have Stage 2 Dinan too and happy with that flr 6 months now, Zero regrets.

Speak up guys -
Though I asked and Crown BMW NC Greensboro doesn't do refunds on Dinan's products like other dealerships I heard about 3 days money back!!

Ed Vega did the install
A very nice and professional guy who had actually known Dinan since early 80's from Up in NY.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:40 PM
Life is too short not to

Cool Comfort vs Sports now after Shockware on Stock springs 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam-F10 View Post
You are probably the only one so far who had done the shockware upgrade on stock springs, have been waiting for such a review. I am probably pursuing similar setup on my 550.

How does comfort mode feel now, is it the same as before? I know many don't like the Buick like feel in comfort mode, but I like the split personality this car gives, where I can push it to the limits on track and ride home in luxury and don't want to give that up.

Well in a nutshell
Comfort = not as stiff as old sports but firmer than comfort before
Sports= Stiffer than old sports in a good way
The car is flatter on corners so very little body roll and very little nose dive!!
Curves are more fun to cut now but sadly this is the way the car should've been in the first place but it seems that they detune 550i as much as possible to distance it enough from top of the line M5 which is not nice!! Who likes such power in a boat?!!!!
Old 04-15-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Well in a nutshell
Comfort = not as stiff as old sports but firmer than comfort before
Sports= Stiffer than old sports in a good way
The car is flatter on corners so very little body roll and very little nose dive!!
Curves are more fun to cut now but sadly this is the way the car should've been in the first place but it seems that they detune 550i as much as possible to distance it enough from top of the line M5 which is not nice!! Who likes such power in a boat?!!!!
Thanks, so it sounds like there may no longer be the need to upgrade the suspension components unless one want much more stiffer sport. At least that what I think.

Great review!
Old 04-15-2013, 05:36 PM
Life is too short not to

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam-F10 View Post
Thanks, so it sounds like there may no longer be the need to upgrade the suspension components unless one want much more stiffer sport. At least that what I think.

Great review!
Well,
I noticed you have the exhauste -
My turn to ask you
Was it worth the money?
Is growl enough to make forget what you paid 3.5k plus tax -?
Dinan 2 was for me but I have my concerns about Dinan exhauste especially there was a guy who did it and got it uninstalled by same dealr as it drones at 2-3k!!

Thanks
I still think lowering the car will bring it closer to where it should be 5550i 2008 -
Old 04-16-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Well,
I noticed you have the exhauste -
My turn to ask you
Was it worth the money?
Is growl enough to make forget what you paid 3.5k plus tax -?
Dinan 2 was for me but I have my concerns about Dinan exhauste especially there was a guy who did it and got it uninstalled by same dealr as it drones at 2-3k!!

Thanks
I still think lowering the car will bring it closer to where it should be 5550i 2008 -
I have a new thread on the Dinan Exhaust which may answer many of your questions. Please review and post your comments there so we can keep the info in the relevant thread.

I would suggest you hear the Dinan exhaust in person before you make a decision as video is not good enough.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=689882
Old 04-16-2013, 04:57 PM

Just made an appointment to get the suspension and shockware done on Tuesday. I'm going to http://motorworkswest.com/ . Dave gave me some unbeatable pricing. BMW couldn't come close to the pricing. He's been in business for 13 years doing Dinan mods, engines, etc. I only plug his info because he was the easiest to get a hold of and the fastest to give me a quote compared with everyone else when I did some pricing.

2012 F10 550i M-Sport | Dark Graphite II | Hex Aluminum | Black Interior | Cold Weather | ARS | HUD | Side and Top View Cameras | BMW Apps | Premium Sound | M5 Style Spoiler | Rho-Plate | Dinan Stage 2 Tune | Dinan Suspension| Dinan Shockware | BMWPedals | 70% Crystalline Tint
Old 04-16-2013, 05:14 PM
Life is too short not to

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsilo View Post
Just made an appointment to get the suspension and shockware done on Tuesday. I'm going to http://motorworkswest.com/ . Dave gave me some unbeatable pricing. BMW couldn't come close to the pricing. He's been in business for 13 years doing Dinan mods, engines, etc. I only plug his info because he was the easiest to get a hold of and the fastest to give me a quote compared with everyone else when I did some pricing.
Glad to hear you are gonna pull the trigger -
Let me know what you think of it and whether it is in my head or gains are tangibly true -?
I paid 797 $ tax included
How much will you pay?
Old 04-16-2013, 05:17 PM

PM sent. Ordered my springs today, they are on back-order. It seems Dinan sale is doing well...

Old 05-10-2013, 07:18 AM

Mein Auto: 550xi, Z4MR
Added shockware to my 2013 550xi on 4/30 and couldn't be happier. I think the car rides better in all modes - I always found the ride with ACS springs and stock software to be a bit bouncy as if the shocks could not keep up with the higher spring rates. Ride is now much better and more comfortable in comfort and sport.

The more I drive the car, it would seem that this is more than just shock firmware either by design or an effect of the shock software interacting with dynamic drive (I have DHP). The car now rotates much better in turns and where I though the default F10 handling was setup as an understeering pig (better with ACS springs but still more understeer than I thought there should be), the car is now more neutral and it is possible to induce oversteer with liberal throttle application.

I was seriously considering trading my 6 week old 550 for an M5 due to the handling and am now much happier. I would say the Shockware had a bigger impact on the handling than the ACS springs but its hard to compare as the springs were installed the first week I owned the car.

Current setup is ACS Springs, Dinan Shockware, Michelin PSS (non-runflat) tires on 345m (19") wheels.

Last edited by mini-me; 05-10-2013 at 07:20 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:29 AM
Life is too short not to

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini-me View Post
Added shockware to my 2013 550xi on 4/30 and couldn't be happier. I think the car rides better in all modes - I always found the ride with ACS springs and stock software to be a bit bouncy as if the shocks could not keep up with the higher spring rates. Ride is now much better and more comfortable in comfort and sport.

The more I drive the car, it would seem that this is more than just shock firmware either by design or an effect of the shock software interacting with dynamic drive (I have DHP). The car now rotates much better in turns and where I though the default F10 handling was setup as an understeering pig (better with ACS springs but still more understeer than I thought there should be), the car is now more neutral and it is possible to induce oversteer with liberal throttle application.

I was seriously considering trading my 6 week old 550 for an M5 due to the handling and am now much happier. I would say the Shockware had a bigger impact on the handling than the ACS springs but its hard to compare as the springs were installed the first week I owned the car.

Current setup is ACS Springs, Dinan Shockware, Michelin PSS (non-runflat) tires on 345m (19") wheels.

Well I appreciate your feedback
All I wanted to confirm is it wasn't my imagination that a software can possibly achieve that much and could possibly change a car character that much!! I don't know exactly what's going on but All I can say is I didn't enjoy my car around the curves or in parking lots and twisties till I got that Shockware installed!!!