Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 11-27-2013, 08:15 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002, 325I
2002 325 using too much oil, 2 plus quarts in one week

I am have an issue with my car is a 2002 325 with 178k miles, last week on Monday I did an oil filter change and this week I already added two quarts of oil, that is a lot. over the weekend I replaced the Spark plug and they were dry so is not burning oil, plus my exhaust gases look fine not white. I Also look under the car and the oil pan which I replaced myself is not leaking the valve cover gasket is good too. is it possible all this oil is been leaked by the CCV? one thing I did noticed is that the transmission is always cover by some oil but it has been like this always. is there any other seal in the engine that may need to be replace. obviously in only leaks when I drive the car otherwise I will have oil dripping on the floor.

Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 11-27-2013, 08:28 AM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Mein Auto: E30 with an S52
Transmission is covered in oil? Sounds like your rear main seal. I'd change this sooner than later because the oil will deteriorate your transmission mounts and cause some nasty vibrations.

When you replace the seal, you're going to have to clean all that oil off of everything. If I were you, I'd go ahead and replace the transmission mounts anyway.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:59 AM

Are you talking about the seal in this diagram http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...67&hg=11&fg=10 Engine Crankshaft Sealing Flange Gasket; Rear Crank Cover Gasket,

Last edited by ciborgman; 11-27-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:39 PM

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciborgman View Post
Are you talking about the seal in this diagram http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...67&hg=11&fg=10 Engine Crankshaft Sealing Flange Gasket; Rear Crank Cover Gasket,
Yes #5. If you have a stick, you might want to think about doing a clutch/flywheel job while you have the TM out if it is indeed the real main seal.

Even though you did the pan gasket, it is possible it is still leaking.
DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD

Last edited by ahull; 11-27-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:44 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Dry plugs don't mean your CVV isn't in need of replacement. It doesn't LEAK BTW, most times it ceases to function and it sends vapors AND oil into the manifold. What is the age of the CVV? More times than not, sudden oil consumption is a sign of a failed CVV. Also, the colder weather can clog the tube that allows oil to drain back into your motor from the CVV, it could be frozen with goo and sludge. Lots of posts on this topic. I'd pull the dipstick tube and see what you find.

ALL E46 rear main seals leak sooner or later, but even the worst leaks don't leak THAT much. It is burning it.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 11-27-2013, 02:58 PM

@Ahull, I checked the oil pan and is completely dry around the gasket. in regards to the clutch. I have plans to replace it is about time and makes some noise. some shop quoted me about $2000 which is insane price. So I will have to do it myself is probably time consuming rather than super difficult
@smolck my CCV has never been replaced so it is about time. I am doing that this weekend
Old 11-27-2013, 03:05 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciborgman View Post
@smolck my CCV has never been replaced so it is about time. I am doing that this weekend
Yea, it was bad a LONG time ago. I would be shocked if it didn't fix the issue.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....