Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:00 AM

Mein Auto: GT 530d
EcoPro Sailing

with the F01 MY 2013 a new (free of charge) function was made available in the European models - EcoPro with Sailing.
And since it is free of charge there obviously is no additional Hardware necessary.

Since the F07 operates on the same data (target is F001) I wondered if it could be enabled there (after all the F07 was the vehicle where they tested it before releasing).

So, what I've found were two settings:
HU_NBT EFF_DYN_SAILING.
set to "aktiv" gives you the checkbox in iDrive and the efficiency bar goes up to 75% when checked.

KOMBI SEGELN_ENABLE
set it to "aktiv" too.

But this does not seem to really engage it because in the EfficientDynamics Screen there should be an Icon "Sailing" as soon as the car does so. (at least I saw such one on the BMW advertisement for this function).
Only thing I get is "charging battery" when recuperating.
Therefore I don't know if it just does not display the icon or if it isn't working at all.

So the question to the tomb-raiders amongst you is:
in which of my 37 CAFDs should I look after what ?
because I am very much convinced that my two mentioned findings were not enough.

Car is iLevel F001-12-11-503

Any magical formulas highly appreciated....

Razorback
Old 01-10-2013, 05:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorback View Post
with the F01 MY 2013 a new (free of charge) function was made available in the European models - EcoPro with Sailing.
And since it is free of charge there obviously is no additional Hardware necessary.

Since the F07 operates on the same data (target is F001) I wondered if it could be enabled there (after all the F07 was the vehicle where they tested it before releasing).

HU_NBT EFF_DYN_SAILING.
set to "aktiv" gives you the checkbox in iDrive and the efficiency bar goes up to 75% when checked.

KOMBI SEGELN_ENABLE
set it to "aktiv" too.

But this does not seem to really engage it because in the EfficientDynamics Screen there should be an Icon "Sailing" as soon as the car does so. (at least I saw such one on the BMW advertisement for this function).
Therefore I don't know if it just does not display the icon or if it isn't working at all.

because I am very much convinced that my two mentioned findings were not enough.

Razorback
@Razorback,

It is in the EGS ECU. If you do not have that ECU send me a copy of your SVT and I can help. In my car it is:

EGS->3000 Applikation, 02->Segeln

I tested these extensively in my car some time ago, but since it is a 550, none of the EcoPro settings work. Let us know if it works for you.

JEG23
Old 01-10-2013, 07:09 AM

thank you jeg23,

I won't connect to the car before tomorrow so I can't verify if I have EGS
So if you would give me the CAFD Number I can check offline.

Razorback
Old 01-10-2013, 07:49 AM

Mein Auto: 550i
Quote:
thank you jeg23,

I won't connect to the car before tomorrow so I can't verify if I have EGS
So if you would give me the CAFD Number I can check offline.

Razorback
I unfortunately do not have that information handy. It would probably be a different CAFD number anyway since it is a different platform. Just look for EGS. It is the one with all the transmission settings. If you do not find it, send me a screen capture of you SVT.

JEG23
Old 01-10-2013, 08:37 AM

ok, found it
its CAFD 0000023F

will give it a try tomorrow and report when done.

EDIT:
coded it this morning and hat a testdrive - no change
means no icons in MFID or EffDyn screen respectively.

maybe it only works in conjunction with VZA (in German its "Vorschau-Assistent")
means that the EcoPro mode communicates with HU-NBT and engages sailing when it finds out that there is something with reduced speed ahaed in its Navi-Data (like tight turns etc.)
at least this is what the BMW-Advertisment says it will do....

Anyhow, there is still some trial-and-error ahead.....

Razorback

Last edited by razorback; 01-11-2013 at 01:42 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:00 AM

Mein Auto: 5 Series F10 2012 Model
I have a UK model F10 MY2012 (so it has the HU_CIC instead of the HU_NBT), I found some of the entries but not the KOMBI one …

I do have EcoPro mode and it does show battery charging, etc… when in EcoPro mode - but cannot get the Sailing Icon.

Any help appreciated...

Code:
HU_NBT EFF_DYN_SAILING. 

I found this in HU_CIC and have set this to aktiv

Code:
KOMBI SEGELN_ENABLE
set it to "aktiv" too.

I can't seem to find this in the KOMBI cafd. More information on this please...

Code:
It is in the EGS ECU. 
EGS->3000 Applikation, 02->Segeln

Found the above and set to aktiv
Happy to experiment, if I can get some pointers...
Old 02-17-2013, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:

HU_NBT EFF_DYN_SAILING.

KOMBI SEGELN_ENABLE
set it to "aktiv" too.

Razorback
Someone posted on your other board thread that EGS is modified to go from D in N and get "coasting/sailing"....so if true, there is a hardware difference.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 03-15-2013, 08:20 AM

Mein Auto: '13 M135i
Don't know if anyone is still interested in this - but I went trawling through the 48.3 CAFDs.

There are several Sailing/Segeln settings that gets made when the car is coded for a July-2013 build level:
KOMBI FPK > 3003 FZG_Ausstattung > SEGELN_ENABLE > aktiv
KOMBI L6 BO > 3000 Anzeige_Konfiguration > SEGELN_ENABLE > aktiv
condition: (205_AUTOMATIC or 2TB_SPORTS_AUTOMATIC_TRANSMISSION) and 4U2_ECO_MANAGER and (JULY_2013) and not(S63B44)
RSE_NBT > 3000 HMI > EFF_DYN_SAILING > aktiv
HU_CICHB > 3000 HMI > EFF_DYN_SAILING > aktiv
HU_NBT > 3000 HMI > EFF_DYN_SAILING > aktiv
condition: (2TB_SPORTS_AUTOMATIC_TRANSMISSION or 205_AUTOMATIC or 2TE_AUTOMATIC_TRANSMISSION_WITH_PADDELS) and not(S63B44)
ICMQL > 3000 Daten > C_Segeln_vorhanden > enable
GKEB23 > 3000 Applikation > Segeln > aktiv
condition: (not(N53B30 or S63B44))

These are the ECU names as per CAFD so the names in e-sys may vary.

It also seems that the July 2013 build gets a new MSA version - not sure if this is relevant; and whether this involves new firmware or just a coding change.
DME > 3320 BSU-Config > MSA-Version > Wert_01 (MSA-Version 2.2 - from SOP 07.2013)
Old 03-16-2013, 06:15 AM

hi deonvdw,

many thanks for your Investigation :-)))

BUT (Car is 48.2)

since my car is only hooked up when I Need something to do, all my current ncd Files are saved to pc and therefore I have no idea which of those you mentioned correspond to my saved ones because the only identification available to me (offline) is the CAFD number (and not it's Name seen in eSys).

So my
"KOMBI_FPK" is Cafd 00001060_xxx_yyy_zzz (which I know more or less by heart since I had to use it already).
"HU_NBT" is Cafd 00000DED
"GKEB23" is Cafd 0000023F
"ICMQL" is Cafd 0000067B (but there is no Parameter C_Segeln_vorhanden)
same applies to "DME" which is Cafd 000001A7 and has no such Parameter like "MSA....."

but I have nothing like:
"KOMBI_L6_BO"
"RSE_NBT"
and obvously nothing with ..._CIC

So, would you please be so kind as to give me the cafd Numbers of those I mentioned above I either could not find or could find but no Parameters to match...

thank you

Last edited by razorback; 03-16-2013 at 06:16 AM.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:36 AM

Quote:
hi deonvdw,

many thanks for your Investigation :-)))

BUT (Car is 48.2)

since my car is only hooked up when I Need something to do, all my current ncd Files are saved to pc and therefore I have no idea which of those you mentioned correspond to my saved ones because the only identification available to me (offline) is the CAFD number (and not it's Name seen in eSys).

So my
"KOMBI_FPK" is Cafd 00001060_xxx_yyy_zzz (which I know more or less by heart since I had to use it already).
same applies to "DME" which is Cafd 000001A7 and has no such Parameter like "MSA....."

but I have nothing like:
"KOMBI_L6_BO"
"RSE_NBT"

So, would you please be so kind as to give me the cafd Numbers of those I mentioned above I either could not find or could find but no Parameters to match...

thank you
FYI. You can open any .NCD file in the E-Sys FDL Editor, and the first line shown is the ECU Name it came from.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 03-16-2013, 07:17 AM

Mein Auto: '13 M135i
Hi razorback,

my pleasure
Quote:

So my

but I have nothing like:
"KOMBI_L6_BO"
"RSE_NBT"

thank you
The KOMBI L6 BO would be an alternative instrument cluster to the one your have (KOMBI FPK); and the HU_CICHB is the alternate head unit (non navi or possibly business navi) to the HU_NBT. The RSE_NBT is the rear seat entertainment ECU and you can safely ignore this one (I assume the RSE coding would also enable the sailing checkbox/info on the rear seat LCDs).

So you are not missing any ECUs

Of course it can be that the C_Segeln_vorhanden function was introduced in a newer version of the CAFD than you have. But then the i-step for your car is probable also too old?

Checking my 48.3 data, the C_Segeln_vorhanden function is *ONLY* in CAFD_0000067B.CAF.002_003_139...

I have a pet theory about these future build date options - that the factory test cars are flashed with the same PSdZ data / i-steps as normal production cars. So we get to see the options they are busy testing in those cars; and it can be considered "beta software" in a way...

The MSA-Version function is in DME ecu CAFD 00000B0A. The CAFD number you gave is the DME__DDE73 ecu. Where does that leave you? I don't know

BTW - I just discovered something surprising: "GKEB23" ecu can refer to CAFD 0000023F or 0000126D!!! This is new to me (but a little off topic).
Old 03-17-2013, 09:38 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw 640d
up
Old 05-14-2013, 12:11 PM

Mein Auto: F30 320i
Got Sailing working on my 2012 F30. I changed the Build date to July 2013 and coded the everything to default and made some custom changes then FLD coded ECU.

I was on a 60KM/h zone and let go the the gas peddle and i got the sailing icon on the iDrive and car maintained 60 for about 1km. However to get the car to increase speed i had to press the peddle all the way down to get it moving past 60.

But i think i'm disabling this. I had an issue where the car actually cut off power to the engine (complete off) and moved my transmission to P and complained saying 'rolling body' or something along that line. I just disabled sailing on the iDrive for the time being, not sure what the error was. I'm going to give this a try on the hyway tomorrow.

Anyone else tried this on their F30?
Old 05-14-2013, 06:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 x3 35i
EcoPro Sailing

What codes did you use. How do you make these changes?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-14-2013, 08:00 PM

My istep was updated by the dealer last week to 13-03-503

First I changed the Build date to 0713. Then FA Coded the HU_CIC, KOMBI, ICM and ECG

HU_CIC - EFF_DYN_SAILING - Active
KOMBI didn't make any changes except related to this except added BC_Digital_V
ECG with FA build date changed the following (FA Coding did this)
- SEGELN - Active
- POCHEN - Active
- NIC_alt - Active
- LC aka Launch Control - Active
- Sportschalter_alt - Active (I made this change)
- Sportschalter - Active (I made this change)

ICM C_Segeln_vorhanden - enable

Then FDL Coded ECG

And that took care of EcoPro Sailing. iDrive even animated the screen when sailing.

I wonder while sailing if the battery gets charge like its supposed to, as it didnt show. As i mentioned before I had my engine cut off at one point and I had to press the gas peddle hard to get the car moving faster from sailing speed. I will be taking the hyw tomorrow to work and will be testing this and let you guys know.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:03 AM

EcoPro Sailing

Let me rephrase my question. How do you change the build date? And how dangerous is that?

Old 05-15-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfiermon View Post
Let me rephrase my question. How do you change the build date? And how dangerous is that?

To change VO Production Date, see my post here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=642231

It is not dangerous; however, it could result in FDL Codings that are incompatible with your car, in which case you will have to come back and set those individual FDL codes back to their original settings.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:25 AM

Read the VO of your car, then edit the FA, calculate FP, go into type and change the build Date to 0713.

I would suggest you to first save the original FA/VO XML to a separate folder and then change the FA/VO after.

In my opinion it's not dangerous, however it depends on how you look at it. If doing so changes the behavior of the ECU drastically, which I think it doesn't, then you are good. I think BMW would have taken fail safe against those.

It's all about your comfort level to do so.

By the way, I'm taking the sailing off, as I just wanted to test this out and i don't use EcoPro mode much except on long trips for work.

Outcome of today's trip to work, Sailing worked great, only issue was moving/increasing the speed after it kicks in to sailing took a few seconds (5-10s) as it take some time to react once you press the gas peddle.

I will be testing the Launch Control function today, but not sure how that works. Will let you know.

If you are not comfortable with changing you VO build date then i would suggest you to just change those settings only as long as you have a new istep version. I think they only work after version 49 or over, but i could be wrong. I had 46 before and I didn't see that before.

Shawn, Have you tested this on your car?

I will keep you posted on Launch control

Last edited by vithy; 05-15-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:26 AM

EcoPro Sailing

So I have a 2014 X3. When sailing comes out for it, I would be interested to see whether or not this will work for me. I am leery about changing a build date on a brand-new model like this.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:28 AM

Thanks. I am using the 49.3 files. I am brand-new to coding so I don't understand I step.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vithy View Post
Read the VO of your car, then edit the FA, calculate FP, go into type and change the build Date to 0713.

I would suggest you to first save the original FA/VO XML to a separate folder and then change the FA/VO after.

I my opinion it's not dangerous, however it depends on how you look at it. If doing so changes the behavior of the ECU drastically, which I think it doesn't, then you are good. I think BMW would have taken fail safe against those.

It's all about your comfort level to do so.

By the way, I'm taking the sailing off, as I just wanted to test this out and i don't use EcoPro mode much except on long trips for work.

Outcome of today's trip to work, Sailing worked great, only issue was moving/increasing the speed after it kicks in from sailing took a few second (5-10) as it take some time to react once to press the gas peddle.

I will be testing the Launch Control function today, but not sure how that works. Will let you know.

If you are not comfortable with changing you VO build date then i would suggest you to just change those settings only as long as you have a new istep version. I think they only work after version 49 or over, but i could be wrong. I had 46 before and I didn't see that before.

Shawn, Have you tested this on your car?

I will keep you posted on Launch control
Tested what? Launch Control? No. How can I do this?

Old 05-15-2013, 10:42 AM

I totally understand. I have had my car for only a month now. And I have been coding for only a month, however I have access to a few F series cars that family and friends have. x3, 5 series and a few 3's. So i got to play with all of them got no issues so far. I have also helped a few ppl in Toronto code their cars and have had no issues.

Read alot and get a basic understanding of coding and your istep version. It's all about trail and error sometimes but ask ppl in this forum, they are helpful.

I personally think you should just try the coding without changing your FA/VO and then move on after. But with sailing i think it should work with your version as long as you enable everything i posted before.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:45 AM

So. What is istep? How do I check my version??
Old 05-15-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
To change VO Production Date, see my post here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=642231

It is not dangerous; however, it could result in FDL Codings that are incompatible with your car, in which case you will have to come back and set those individual FDL codes back to their original settings.
Hi shawn,

How do you figure out the incompatible FDL? Would i warn you or is the the behavior depending on the module?
Old 05-15-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfiermon View Post
So. What is istep? How do I check my version??
So you would go into Expert mode on VCM tab - VCM Master - Read I-Steps. It will show you the version you have/had/shipped