Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech

Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech
BMW navigation, audio upgrades, XM Radio, Sirius, Bluetooth, and Radar Detector discussions here!

Sponsored by BimmerTech

Old 08-07-2012, 07:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 (E46 )328I
Subwoofer???

Hello Guys,

I have a Kicker ZX750.1 amp (http://www******er.com/ZX_Amplifiers), with 750 Watt Mono at 2 Ohms (not sure if it is RMS or PMPO), hooked up with one Sony Explode ( I think 380 watt RMS/ 1200W PMPO), in a small tight Q-Logic box. I literally have to keep the gain on the amp way less than half, otherwise it distorts the sound. A number of people have been telling me that the sub woofer is the week link, and I will gain a lot just by changing the sub. I do not want to put two subs, or big box in (kind of like trunk space ), or spend a lot of money on it. Below are teh questions I have.

1. Would it really make a huge difference just by changing the sub?
2. If yes, what power sub should I get (RMS/ PMPO)?? Most of the subs are 4 ohm, however; the amp says 2 ohm.. does it make difference? To be more specific, any preferred brand/ model? I looked here http://www.bestcovery.com/best-car-subwoofer-overall, and the best subs range from 80 bucks to 900 bucks.
3. I need a 12 inch sub that works with this box (that can fit in that box, and also the box can withstand it).

Thanks again for the help and support .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0403.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	335773   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0407.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	335774  
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2013, 12:30 PM
Coffee Extraordinaire

Mein Auto: 2001 740i Sport
Bad sub in an even smaller enclosure..... Yikes. You need something in the 500-600rms range. Then you have to find out how much trunk space you want to give up and what size enclosure the sub Requires.

Look for something with dual 4 ohm voice coils or two subs with single voice coils.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:22 AM
e34 User

Mein Auto: bmw e34
Id go with a polk audio db

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
Old 03-02-2013, 09:32 AM

Mein Auto: 88 BMW 735i

hit me up i got what u need

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espresso View Post
Bad sub in an even smaller enclosure..... Yikes. You need something in the 500-600rms range. Then you have to find out how much trunk space you want to give up and what size enclosure the sub Requires.

Look for something with dual 4 ohm voice coils or two subs with single voice coils.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 (E46 )328I
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedkingrc View Post

hit me up i got what u need
PM Sent
Old 03-04-2013, 07:15 AM

Mein Auto: 88 BMW 735i
pmed... i got a audiobahn 6channel
mtx thunder amps
mtx subs 10 and 12s
component speakers for the doors...

get reid of that sony crap. go with mtx , the older kicker, autotek amp new and old... its more better brands whats you price range.