Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 10-18-2016, 01:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 M5, 00 Z3, 12 X5 35d
BMW is terminating BMWAssist, Deactivation Options

BMW Assist & Connected Drive is being terminated for all older vehicles this year, for vehicles with current assist contracts BMW is offering some options. Supposedly the retrofit is free but requires a $200 annual contract.

https://bmwassistoffer.com/sunset/vin.htm
Advertisement
Old 10-18-2016, 03:28 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: 2012 Feb 11 X5 35d (E70)
There are likely a half-dozen pre-existing articles on this subject but with discussion, information and contact information.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:47 AM

I did a quick search and didnt see anything, havent been on the forum much lately, in 1 series forum someone mentioned they just got the message on iDrive last week. Hadnt seen the option/gift card site before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
There are likely a half-dozen pre-existing articles on this subject but with discussion, information and contact information.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:18 AM

Mein Auto: '13 X5 xDrive 35i Premium
I haven't been lurking much lately so haven't seen anything on the forums... Perhaps a link from those that have would help others find the info. That said, I got my letter and have 3 choices but 2 of them it sounds like I have to let BMW brick (deactivate is their descriptor) the wifi capability of the car before they send me any compensation. I used the word "brick" because it sounds like once deactivation is done there is no retrofit available at a later date. Am I correct in my understanding? At this point I would rather leave the wifi as is even though it isn't functional any longer...

Old 10-19-2016, 11:34 AM

I am going to a dealer today to pickup my 2013 135i MSport DCT Convertible and will ask the BMW Genius about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD-X5 View Post
I haven't been lurking much lately so haven't seen anything on the forums... Perhaps a link from those that have would help others find the info. That said, I got my letter and have 3 choices but 2 of them it sounds like I have to let BMW brick (deactivate is their descriptor) the wifi capability of the car before they send me any compensation. I used the word "brick" because it sounds like once deactivation is done there is no retrofit available at a later date. Am I correct in my understanding? At this point I would rather leave the wifi as is even though it isn't functional any longer...
Old 10-19-2016, 05:14 PM

Mein Auto: E90 M3; '12 X5 Diesel
meh, the only marginal benefit of BMWassist is to use a google maps account to send an address directly to your car. Function is not worth $200 to me. You get better concierge service through premium credit cards.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:24 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: X5 50i
Here are the options:

BMWCCA #20645
Old 10-20-2016, 06:44 AM

Talked to the Genius yesterday, you lose all functions from BMWAssist and Connected Drive, so it seems any CD services and apps will no longer work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCan23 View Post
I am going to a dealer today to pickup my 2013 135i MSport DCT Convertible and will ask the BMW Genius about it.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:08 AM

Mein Auto: '13 X5 xDrive 35i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCan23 View Post
Talked to the Genius yesterday, you lose all functions from BMWAssist and Connected Drive, so it seems any CD services and apps will no longer work.
I don't think it's anything I use anyway but unless the retrofit can be applied after the disable is performed I don't think it's worth a gift card and signing a release. I may never need the features but if I were to change my mind I would hate to be locked out of them...

Old 10-21-2016, 10:16 AM
Freude am Fahren

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD-X5 View Post
I don't think it's anything I use anyway but unless the retrofit can be applied after the disable is performed I don't think it's worth a gift card and signing a release. I may never need the features but if I were to change my mind I would hate to be locked out of them...
Nothing that BMW offers can't be done with your existing smart phone ...

This is why BMW is getting rid of it. In car navigation will be a thing of the past.
BMWCCA #20645
Old 10-22-2016, 07:22 PM

Mein Auto: 335d
I think I will make them retrofit my X5. I still have 2 years left that they owe me for Bmw assist because i bought it CPO.
Old 10-23-2016, 05:42 AM
Freude am Fahren

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaptor View Post
I think I will make them retrofit my X5. I still have 2 years left that they owe me for Bmw assist because i bought it CPO.
Let us know what it cost ... but I'm betting it is not a good value.

For less money you can take out a membership with AAA and call a friend to assist and buy a new set of tires ...
BMWCCA #20645
Old 10-23-2016, 05:58 AM
Yabba Dabba Doo!

Mein Auto: '12 535i xDrive
BMW is terminating BMWAssist, Deactivation Options

Here's a couple links to threads here on the forum:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=927752
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=891542

Current: '12 535i xDrive l 354 l LCSW l ZTP l ZCW l ZPP l 8-Speed Steptronic
Mods: 35% Tint l Coded by Octopump l PDV 5k Fogs l M5 Trunk Spoiler
Retired: '08 328i Jet Black l 6-Speed Manual
Old 10-23-2016, 10:51 PM

Mein Auto: 335d
I already have AAA but some of the features are nice to have like remote locking from the app and stolen car tracking. From what I read it should be a free retrofit because of the 2 years I have left on my contract. But if you have under a year they want you to pay for the renewal fee, yet retrofit is free. No matter what happens I'll report back with what happens. Getting close to needing a oil change so that will be a good time to get them to do it.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:33 AM
Nuclear engineer

We dropped AAA in favor of BMW Assist, assuming(!) better quality assistance.

I am waiting for the corporate experience to become adequate for a troublefree backfit. For now, the horror stories outnumber the good ones. I see no expiration date on the acceptance letter.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:43 AM
Nuclear engineer

Received a glossy hardcard notification in the USPS yesterday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW NA
October 13, 2016. Dear [Owner], We wanted to alert you of an important change. Underlying technologies for features in BMW vehicles are sometimes replaced by newer ones. In this instance, your BMW's on-board cellular technology, used for delivering numerous BMW ConnectedDrive / BMW Assist features, will no longer be supported after December 31, 2016. This will eliminate features such as SOS, BMW Assist eCall™, and Concierge Call.[emphasis in original]
This is followed by the list of options and instruction to visit bmwassistoffer.com.

I have seen no mention of an ending date of the offer, which I have accepted and been acknowledged, so I will continue to wait for reports of success in the backfit.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:47 PM

Mein Auto: 13' BMW X5 35d
Will take $300 for BMW accessories if that can be applied to spare parts. I need TC fluid, can use for filters etc.
If not, if $300 means only T-shirts etc. then will take $200 VISA, and again, apply toward maintenance.
BMW Assist? AAA, phone etc. Less things to worry about whether it will break down or not. Google maps etc? I never turned on navigation in the car. I use phone if I need navigation. As far as I am concern, they can take navigation from my car too and give me 200K warranty on passive and active tank

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search