Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 09-19-2016, 07:36 AM

Mein Auto: X5 3.0 2007
Multiple Faults! (AWD, DSC, ABS, EMERG EBV, DBC, Dynamic Drive, Parking brake, etc..)

Hello all,
I am seeing every now and then a couple of faulty messages on my 2007 E70's screen, and i can't find a way to solve it! Please help!

The errors are usually 3 or 4 among the following:
- AWD, DSC, ABS, and EMERG EBV
- Dynamic Drive malfunction
- DBC malfunction
- Dynamic Damping Control malfunction
- EDC malfunction
- Parking Brake malfunction
- Start-off assistance inactive
- Passenger Restraint system malfunction

These errors usually disappear when i restart the car.

Took it to the mechanic and he changed the battery (didn't solve the issue), then he changed the VDM Control Unit (this solved the problem for a couple of weeks only), and now he says there is no way to know the problem unless the faults are "sticky" (i.e. they don't disappear on restart).

Anyone faced the same problem?
Any help please?

Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 09-19-2016, 08:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 09 X5d w/ AD, CIC/Combox
Monitor your voltage and see if your alternator is overcharging.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:16 AM

Thanks for the response, but what do u mean by monitor the voltage? You mean on the screen? There is nothing about it.
The alternator has been replaced 2 yrs ago, and no one touched it since then
Old 09-19-2016, 09:19 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
How old is the battery?

Is it a proper type and size??
Old 09-19-2016, 09:59 AM

The battery is brand new! The first thing the mechanic did was change the battery. It's the original bmw one, just like the one that was preinstalled initially
Old 09-19-2016, 10:27 AM

Mein Auto: 13' BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain.j View Post
The battery is brand new! The first thing the mechanic did was change the battery. It's the original bmw one, just like the one that was preinstalled initially
Did he registered it?
Voltage? Get voltmeter and plug it in cigarette lighter socket.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D
It does sound a lot like a bad battery. This is a typical sign for these cars the battery is going bad. Have him check the battery even though it's new.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:23 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: 2012 Feb 11 X5 35d (E70)
Batteries are not typically maintained after manufacture while on the shelf. It may be dead or dying already, especially if "your alternator is overcharging."

If your alternator is "overcharging" then your ECU DDE is hosed.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:13 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Sorry, I saw charged..not changed. Damn font.

You need a good battery AND a good alternator to ensure the battery is deeply charged and will power up all modules in a nice and repeatable manner when the car is started. IF the DME sees low charge, some modules will not get enough voltage and you get these weird errors.

I assume he has checked all cabling, the IBS module, signs of corrosion or loose fittings, etc?

So brand new BMW OE alternator 2 years ago and a battery last week?
Old 09-19-2016, 09:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 750Li/2008 X5 4.8
Sounds like the same issue I had, stealership had my vehicle for 30 days and told me it was the Alternator...I call BS, but that's a story for a different day. You or your Indy might want to check this link..not sure if it is the same for your engine, but the faults seem to be the same. Good luck.

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...s-p0120-p.html

2012 750Li, Carbon Black Metallic/Oyster&Black, M Sport (Current)
2008 X5 4.8 (Sport), Platinum Bronze Metallic/Tobacco&Black (Current)
2006 750i, Sapphire Black Metallic/Black
2002 745i, Sapphire Black Metallic/Beige
2002 530i (5 speed), Sapphire Black Metallic/Black

Last edited by Masoe; 09-19-2016 at 09:20 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 02:20 AM

Thank u all for your replies

Yes the battery is brand new, i remember the mechanic tested its voltage, registered it, checked the wires, and IBS was changed also. I will try to recheck the voltage in the cgarette lighter.
The alternator was also 2 yrs ago, and it was working properly i guess since then. The issues started to appear recently, like 2months ago.
However i remember i saw a warning message once or twice in the past (before changing the battery and before all these errors) that the battery drainage is high, but the mechanic told me at that time not to worry, and that it was due to a battery reaching the end of its life. Might this have been caused by a faulty alternator??

Masoe i think my problem is exactly like yours! Was it solved after changing the alternator?
(I don't think it's related to the pedal like mentioned in the post)
Old 09-21-2016, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Thank u all for your replies

Yes the battery is brand new, i remember the mechanic tested its voltage, registered it, checked the wires, and IBS was changed also. I will try to recheck the voltage in the cgarette lighter.
The alternator was also 2 yrs ago, and it was working properly i guess since then. The issues started to appear recently, like 2months ago.
However i remember i saw a warning message once or twice in the past (before changing the battery and before all these errors) that the battery drainage is high, but the mechanic told me at that time not to worry, and that it was due to a battery reaching the end of its life. Might this have been caused by a faulty alternator??

Masoe i think my problem is exactly like yours! Was it solved after changing the alternator?
(I don't think it's related to the pedal like mentioned in the post)
Hello, the last part they replaced was the Alternator and I havent had an issue since, but remember, they kept my vehicle for a month. Here is another post about faults as well...different fix action (read till the end) (http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...lfunction.html)

Now to the story:
I was in the middle of a 12 hour drive and I got all those warnings. I didn't know what to do so I pulled over (in the middle of the night) and shut the vehicle down. I looked under the hood (as if I really knew what I was doing) and didn't see anything out of place…..didn't smell anything burning…..so I waited about 15 mins until I knew the vehicle would go to sleep.

When I started it up again all the faults were gone. I cautiously drove the other 6 hours through the night without the faults...and I chalked it up to Gremlins.

The next day the same issues...so I took it to a local stealership and they told me it could be the battery so I let them change it. Next day same issue…..they told me it was the IBS cable…..they changed it and I picked the vehicle up the next day, but by the time I got to my friend's house, I had the faults again, but the stealership was closed.

I got up the next morning to take the vehicle back to the stealership and the vehicle would not start, so my friend jumped my vehicle and I was on my way to the shop.

They said it was the alternator, but when they were under the vehicle inspecting, they noticed that a nut on the starter solenoid was loose and it looked as though it was arcing. When they tried to tighten it, it broke off (mind you I never had an issue with the vehicle starting other than the fuel pump relay, but that is another story). It would take over 10 days to get the solenoid from Germany, but if I bought the whole starter, it would only be 2 days…..I opted for the whole started, but after the part missed the shipment, got lost, etc, I should have waited for the solenoid because it was about 9 days before the starter arrived anyway.

Once they replaced the starter, they then replaced the alternator. I got the vehicle back and haven't had the issue.

The reason I call BS on the alternator is because I drove the vehicle about 8 hours after the initial faults and there is NO WAY my Battery failed, I had a bad IBS cable and the alternator was bad but the vehicle continued for 8 additional hours…..but I am not an auto mechanic so what do I know. Anyway, good luck.

Last edited by Masoe; 09-21-2016 at 08:44 PM.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:34 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

^ Good info

One comment- I call BS when a dealer replaces battery, alternator, solendoid, IBS, sticking to a claim that "all were bad". HOWEVER, it is well known that alternators can go bad intermitently- they can drop output for a while, then come back. Just saying.

Your story seems really frustrating, being at the mercy of a dealer guessing with your $$$s.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:59 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Hello guys. I have a 2008 bmw x5 and without doing anything unusual this message appeared on the dashboard. I started it as usual and suddenly this message came up. Did I do something wrong without knowing it ? Please let me know. And what should I do first. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:25 AM
Nuclear engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enylemor View Post
Hello guys. I have a 2008 bmw x5 and without doing anything unusual this message appeared on the dashboard. I started it as usual and suddenly this message came up. Did I do something wrong without knowing it ? Please let me know. And what should I do first. Thanks in advance.
Replace the battery.. Properly.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
^ Good info

One comment- I call BS when a dealer replaces battery, alternator, solendoid, IBS, sticking to a claim that "all were bad". HOWEVER, it is well known that alternators can go bad intermitently- they can drop output for a while, then come back. Just saying.

Your story seems really frustrating, being at the mercy of a dealer guessing with your $$$s.
ARD, I'm glad you said that alternators sometimes are intermittent because I was so sure they were getting me and now I believe that it was the culprit. I just hate that I was away from home and went to the dealership because I didn't know/trust an Indy in the area (at that time). I was hoping to be back on the road within a week, but because of all of the issues I had to FLY my wife home and wait for the vehicle another 2.5 weeks...and they did give me a loaner.

I will say that they did not charge me labor after the first part they replaced did NOT fix the issue, but I did have to pay for parts and probably NOT at cost.

Old 09-23-2016, 04:24 AM
Nuclear engineer

Alternators "dropout and come back" at the direction of the ECU to remove that load on the engine as for WOT. Same for the air conditioning compressor.

Some here have been well received when they complain that the BMW charges only on trailing throttle. Your BMW is nothing like your '57 Chevy apart from having an ICE and components with the same names.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:10 AM

Just to let you know that my problem is still not solved after trying multiple mechanics
They all say that they can't find the real cause of the problem unless the errors/faults are sticky, i.e. do not come and go randomly.
I have an appointment on monday with the official bmw agent/garage in the area. Let's hope they will know how to solve it.
Will keep you posted
Old 10-26-2016, 09:16 AM

Hello again!
Just an update, in case someone checks this thread at a later stage: went to the official bmw agent, they kept the vehicule in their garage for 2 days, then they called me to tell me that i have to change ALL the control units!!! The reparation was estimated to 20,000$ !!!

Of course i didn't do it, and went to a renowned electrician. He told me that there's a "CAN communication issue", and that it could not be caused by 10 damaged control units! He said that the CAN wires need to be checked and replaced.
Indeed that was the solution to my problem! After he changed these, the errors went away and now i've been happy with my X5 for more than 2 weeks!

Hope this helps someone facing the same problem.
Cheers
Old 10-26-2016, 09:39 AM
Nuclear engineer

Imagine if you had changed all of the control units and paid $20,000 and STILL had your issue!

We must insist on a guarantee of efficacy of the BMW agents' proposed repair work.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:53 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Hello again!
Just an update, in case someone checks this thread at a later stage: went to the official bmw agent, they kept the vehicule in their garage for 2 days, then they called me to tell me that i have to change ALL the control units!!! The reparation was estimated to 20,000$ !!!
That is the worst kind of "BMW parts changer" diagnosis there is.... '10 codes, 10 bad modules'...crazy!

Quote:
Of course i didn't do it, and went to a renowned electrician. He told me that there's a "CAN communication issue",
Smart.

However this is the FIRST TIME in the thread you mention a CAN error....

Quote:
and that it could not be caused by 10 damaged control units!
Precisely

Quote:
He said that the CAN wires need to be checked and replaced.
Indeed that was the solution to my problem! After he changed these, the errors went away and now i've been happy with my X5 for more than 2 weeks!

Hope this helps someone facing the same problem.
Cheers
In my opinion the more likely issue was a SINGLE POINT problem with something on the CAN bus- a bad connection causing electrical noise, or an intermittant short pulling the whole bus down. I sure hope he didnt rewire the entire CAN bus. I bet it is just the translation between what he did and how he explained it to you...

Glad it is fixed!

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
control messages, error, faults, malfunction

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search