Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E87 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E87 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by a naturaly aspirated inline 6 in the 128 or the turbo twin power inline 6 rocket sled 135.

Old 06-29-2015, 12:16 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 120i Sports Pac
2005 BMW 120i ~ Suspension noise

My wife's car...... early morning start. (Petrol-auto)
Backing out of garage.
Awful noise, sounds like a badly leaking exhaust or tyre rubbing.
She takes it out on full lock and then backward & forward.

Noise goes after driving 1/4 mile odd or less!
Noise is in drive & reverse (auto)
Can't reproduce it! not even if I leave it in garage with engine running for a while.

I asked her to stop the car up the road and try to get it to repeat noise... can not repeat!
Car has done 100k kilometres. No trouble before!
Recently serviced.
Any help appreciated.

RegardZ

PS. Haven't tried it with hand-brake slightly on! Possibly noise could be related to power steering.
I asked my wife to make sure wheels are straight, rather than over towards "lock" when parking ... to carry out noise test in morning.

Last edited by Garn; 06-29-2015 at 02:47 PM. Reason: added info
Advertisement
Old 07-01-2015, 02:45 AM

BUMP..... This seems a similar problem to "2010 120i Hatch issues, please help" by Dan92 on 17 Jun 2015,
which I tried to answer!

RegardZ

Last edited by Garn; 07-01-2015 at 02:48 AM.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:54 PM

Gent's SOME PROGRESS!, it looks as so my problem is in the steering box or power steering pump? or steering column?
When noise starts of a morning, it stays for about 5 minutes (perhaps the steering power steering oil is warming up?). Is it electric power steering?
The noise is more prevalent when steering is at an angle (off line). When the peripheral of the steering-wheel is moved, say 2 inches, then back another two inches in the opposite direction, the noise changes.
I may be able chase up this problem in other posts.

RegardZ
Old 07-06-2015, 05:02 PM

Bump!!! Would appreciate any comment on this, now steering wheel, noise, heard mostly from outside cockpit when in "D" or "R" at start up !
RegardZ ~ Garn
Old 07-11-2015, 09:53 PM

BumP, Bump ##@%!!Bump
From other forums... Best answers so far for this common problem...
As noise abates after approx 2 minutes, and doesn't occur again until, left to get cold for a duration. it appears to be oil circulation.
So noise could be an engine oil relating to do with the actuating cam area.
or
AFT circulation noise coming from steering/ cooling pump.
Also, Could be related to alternator.

Anyway, if I always let engine warm up in P or N ... no noise! Hence (my logic) no wear!
This seems to be the cheaper solution.
RegardZ.
PS. many thanks to Rammie (from BabyBmw forum) in showing me this other forum
where there was an identical problem.
Also many thanks to Garn who was the only person who bothered to reply this subject matter!

Last edited by Garn; 07-11-2015 at 10:01 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:17 PM

For those interested in the solution to this noise problem...it was ~
Bad Alternator Pulley **** here is a post from that forum that Rammie introduced
This is very common problem on the N42/N46 Engines.
The pulley has a 1 way clutch in it for fuel economy and allows the alternator to charge in over run. When the clutch seizes up you get this noise noticeably on cold starts.

I can't say thanks for your participation... But it was nice to see an end to problem. I should change title to "E87 noise in pulley train in R & D at Cold Start".
RegardZ ~ Garn