Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-10-2013, 10:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
2013 328i Drive Experience Thoughts

I took my '09 335i coupe ain today to the dealership and my SA is going to have the techs go through my car and repair any "potential" issues he can get approved for me while under original warranty (oil housing gasket, watstegates, and a "clunk" feel I experience when shifting into reverse sometimes with front wheels turned). Since he will have it for a while he gave me a new 2013 328i loaner vehicle with 2k on it. After driving it today, I am defintely glad I got the 335i. Not that it is a bad car but for the feel and performance, I would save the money and get a V-6 Honda Accord or something similar instead. The car feels much lighter than mine (even though it may not be) and the electronic steering is very strange as I don't get the feel of the road when turning (it's pretty much effortless). This may be a good thing to some but when taking the curves on exit ramps or doing tight turns it seems to negate the feel of the increased resistance one is used to for feedback purposes especially on a BMW or sports car. It is also a trip when the engine stops or shuts down at a stop sign or stop light (although you can override this) and shutters the car when you take your foot off the brake to get it going again. Does this really save that much gas? I guess in some areas where there are very long lights or waits it will help but when you come to a stop and then you coast forward a little and stop again (like you are in traffic), it doesn't turn off??? I do like the gear shifter although it takes a little getting used to but feels better in the palm to me than mine. Weird to just press "P" to put it in park. I guess this can save on a shifter bushing repair down the road. I also like the fact I don't have to stick the key FOB in to start the car (although this isn't a new feature, mine doesn't have it). Thoughts on anything else out there?

Last edited by sptt144; 01-10-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Advertisement
Old 01-10-2013, 11:35 PM
HKD

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Titan Silv Red
Thanks for your feedback. I am not a fan at all of the E steering and going Green. I ordered the last e92 production, 2013 335i specifically to avoid getting hit with E steering and the eco package. just my opinion, but i think it takes away from the performance aspect of what you get the bimmer for. Then again, I ordered a 6MT, finding only 2MT en route, none in the whole US, for sale. I do enjoy the feel of the steering and feedback. I've had 04 325i sedan 5MT, 07 335i sedan, both 6AT steptronic, and 08 335i 6MT. I enjoy every second i am in the 6MT, traffic, no traffic, going to market, just looking for an excuse to drive the car.
cheers

2013 e92 335i Titan Silver Corral Red
6MT Prem Nav M Sport Comft Access PDC HK Sound Fire Seats
Old 01-11-2013, 05:44 AM
Fungineer

Mein Auto: 2011 E92
i had a 2013 328 xi loaner and it is better than the older 328 with the N52 engine. But if you came from an N54 or N55, then the N20 will feel like crap.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
The 4 banger has more power than the old N52, but it sounds like crap and its not as smooth as the N52. The electric steering is a true disappointment, very Camry like, no sporty feel to it at all. In sport mode its better, but it still needs work. I am hoping BMW will have the EPS down in a few years, as of now, the F30's steering is no better than Audi's, Lexus' or Merceds'.
As far as auto start stop, A.S.S., its purpose is to save fuel, some say as much as 5%, and reduce pollution. If you are in start stop traffic, you should shut off the ASS or time your start stop. I have been driving around with the ASS on for about a year, it does bother me at all. When I need quick accelaration, I can shut off the ASS with the button or shift into DS which shuts off the ASS as well. Finally, if you really hate the ASS that much, the dealer can shut it off for you.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:25 AM

Mein Auto: '08 Monaco Blue E90 335i
I was in the same situation as you, except I'd dropped my '08 335i off at the dealership for a month (they were trying to get BMW USA to comp parts/labor outside of warranty during the Holidays..). Needless to say, I was driving around the 2012 328i for a while.

Things I didn't like were:
  1. Electronic Steering
  2. Constantly having to remember to shut off the Eco-Button (the one that turns your car off when in idle mode
  3. Nav-Screen outside of dashboard (personal taste, I guess)...
  4. I might have been doing this wrong, but when in sport mode on the highway (using AT and not DS), shifting points are very aggressive and then remain in high rpm when speed is maintained

Overall, I do like how the car's gotten a little larger, though - and the Bluetooth tech. is definitely better than my 08's... When I finally got my car back, though, I immediately felt like I was back in a performance car. The steering/handling in my E90 really does make a GIANT difference to their newer line.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:58 AM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
On the F30 board, there was a thread on "I got an E90 loaner and can't wait to get my F30 back...". In my experience on these boards, owners almost always prefer the vehicle they own and are used to.

I have an F30 for a week (which, btw, was a pretty generous move by my dealer considering it was a courtesy repair). The interior seemed busy and there were obvious signs of cost cutting. I also hated the electronic steering (hate might be a mild word for what I felt, in fact). I also though the turbo engine was a bit gruff and the stop-start stuff is just ridiculous.

But, in every other way, it was a notch above my E90. Suspension is much more buttoned down and it is closer to the ideal handling-ride tradeoff of the E46. And, the engine may be lacking in terms of NVH and overall smoothness but it is still a kick to drive.

BMW has another winner on their hands.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
But, in every other way, it was a notch above my E90.
Interesting...

Old 01-11-2013, 11:36 AM
Fungineer

Mein Auto: 2011 E92
forgot to add...the F30 brakes feel "lagging", too soft. I like the E9x where it is very sensitive and it allows for a quicker reaction. I dont want to smash the brakes just to achieve 50% braking power. And of course, steering absolutely sucks. Those who like being soft......i wont say anymore...
Old 01-11-2013, 12:04 PM

That's another thing I forgot to add, too, spicytofu... The brakes I felt were extremely lack-luster.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:20 PM
Abuser of everything

Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
Look at the Road&Track 01/2013 page for their comments regarding the ATS 2.0T vs ATS 3.6 and how "the V6 transformed the car" [their words]. They also mentioned that they "vastly prefer" this engine [again, their words]

Same feeling when I drove recently a 328i 2.0T and a 128i I6 2013. I have been driving the 128i for a few days and it feels in a totally different league than a N20, although it is a bit slower.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:31 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
On the F30 board, there was a thread on "I got an E90 loaner and can't wait to get my F30 back...". In my experience on these boards, owners almost always prefer the vehicle they own and are used to.

I have an F30 for a week (which, btw, was a pretty generous move by my dealer considering it was a courtesy repair). The interior seemed busy and there were obvious signs of cost cutting. I also hated the electronic steering (hate might be a mild word for what I felt, in fact). I also though the turbo engine was a bit gruff and the stop-start stuff is just ridiculous.

But, in every other way, it was a notch above my E90. Suspension is much more buttoned down and it is closer to the ideal handling-ride tradeoff of the E46. And, the engine may be lacking in terms of NVH and overall smoothness but it is still a kick to drive.

BMW has another winner on their hands.
I called BMW Manhattan this AM to make an appointment to bring the 335 in for service. They asked of I needed a loaner. I don't but I said I did because I figured the loaner would be an F30 and I would get a chance to check one out. I was told I needed a valid drivers license (no problem) and a charge card other than American Express (also no problem). I was told that there would be a $750 hold on the credit card for up to 45 days (problem). I told the rep to forget about the loaner and I refrained from telling him exactly what part of his anatomy I thought he should park it in.

BMWNA will be receiving a letter.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 01-11-2013, 02:47 PM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I told the rep to forget about the loaner and I refrained from telling him exactly what part of his anatomy I thought he should park it in.

Go get 'em, CA--that is completely out of line IMO. My dealership here in NJ only enters a hold for $100, accepts AmEx for it and releases it as soon as the car is returned. 45 days is beyond absurd.

N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA
Old 01-11-2013, 04:20 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Quote:
I called BMW Manhattan this AM to make an appointment to bring the 335 in for service. They asked of I needed a loaner. I don't but I said I did because I figured the loaner would be an F30 and I would get a chance to check one out. I was told I needed a valid drivers license (no problem) and a charge card other than American Express (also no problem). I was told that there would be a $750 hold on the credit card for up to 45 days (problem). I told the rep to forget about the loaner and I refrained from telling him exactly what part of his anatomy I thought he should park it in.

CA
That is not BMWNA policy. I get loaners all the time from Century West (EXCELLENT dealer) and Pacific BMW (Excellent sales, lousy service) here in LA. Never once have I had them pull that crap.

Just ridiculous that they would do that stuff to you. Unacceptable, really.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:22 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT335 View Post
Interesting...
Tsk, eh?

So, you find it unbelievable that BMW could actually improve most aspects of a vehicle in a new generation?

I will take the E90 over the F30 anyday, because of the steering and because I like the E90 interior a lot more. But, let's make a passing attempt at objectivity here. The F30 does offer some significant upgrades over earlier generations.

Last edited by Kilgore Trout; 01-11-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post
Go get 'em, CA--that is completely out of line IMO. My dealership here in NJ only enters a hold for $100, accepts AmEx for it and releases it as soon as the car is returned. 45 days is beyond absurd.
Quote:
That is not BMWNA policy. I get loaners all the time from Century West (EXCELLENT dealer) and Pacific BMW (Excellent sales, lousy service) here in LA. Never once have I had them pull that crap.

Just ridiculous that they would do that stuff to you. Unacceptable, really.
BMW Manhattan is owned by BMWNA

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project

Last edited by captainaudio; 01-11-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:54 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Quote:

BMW Manhattan is owned by BMWNA

CA
Yikes.

Pretty scary stuff.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Yikes.

Pretty scary stuff.
Never experienced anything like that at a Lexus or Jaguar dealer.

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 01-11-2013, 08:21 PM
HKD

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Titan Silv Red
I went to dealer test drove 8at 328 and 6mt 335. The e steering took away all feel of driving. Hated it. Nice gizmos but the help you drive more efficient is an upgrade to old dial on bottom showing est mpg. Maybe more accurate but the thought of a being Eco friendly in a performance car is an oxymoron and maybe even insulting. The 6mt clutch was really light maybe easier to drive but added to the feel like u weren't really driving and connected to the road. Maybe I'm just a dying breed of dinosaur but if this is where BMW is going they Are going to lose enthusiasts. Just my observations from one test drive but the second I got back in my 08 335 coupe it was a completely different and welcomed feel

2013 e92 335i Titan Silver Corral Red
6MT Prem Nav M Sport Comft Access PDC HK Sound Fire Seats
Old 01-11-2013, 09:04 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i 2011 convertible
I read many experiences about the new 2013 , 328 sedan. I drive a 2011 328 Hradtop Cabrio ( E93) and took it for a simple service because the glove box was locked and could not be opened. Anyway the BMW Store in Vancouver gave me a brand new 2013 328i with only 200 km on it as courtesy car. The first time I ran the car , I was disappointed. The 4 cylinder engine is weird at fist when it kind of shakes at low revs. Then the steering wheel , It's hard to believe that these 2 cars steering wheels are made by same company. Completely different feel to it . My E93 steering wheel being so sharp and properly weighted is in contrast with 2013 numb and dead steering wheel. Now, I have to admit at my second day of driving the 328 2013, it started to grow on me. The 2 liter turbo 4 actually has a good pep , it's just you need to learn how to get the best out of it because it's not as consistant as Inline 6 in my 2011 . The visibility of the new car is good. I like that the navigation has small icons below the heads up display which is nice. The trunk opens up with the touch of the remote , which is nice. I think this new 2013 328 is a winner , yes it is true that some orthodox bimmer lovers( including yours truly) will not enjoy it as much, but it is more towards the mainstream America car buyers taste so it will sell more. As a matter of fact BMW has already broke last years sell records becuase of it. As for me, I got my E93 back and boy did I miss it !
Old 01-11-2013, 11:45 PM

Mein Auto: 5er, 3er
Steering feel was the biggest factor for me to sway away from F30 and back to my third E9X. When I first testdrove f30, I didn't feel that it was bad at all - but after my wife got a new F10 then riding between F10 and E90 for over a month, I realized that I preferred E90's steering feel much much better. So instead of getting myself a new F30, I got a very last E92. Frankly, everything else on F30 was better than E90. But the light steering wheel was something that I couldn't live with for long. The sexy exhaust note on IS is a super-nice bonus that you cannot get on any F30 - at least for now.

Also, compared to my previous E60, F10 is superior almost all departments, but F10 felt like it lost its sporty edge. E60 felt more like a sports sedan whereas F10 feels more like a comfortable family sedan. (my E60 was 550 MSport and current F10 is 535 MSport.) But you've gotta love all the new tech gadgets on F10 - especially the NAV and multi-language support for iDrive - soooooooooo much better.