Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 12-23-2011, 11:06 PM

Mein Auto: Toyota Pickup
Will BMW Seattle or Bellevue allow my mechanic look at car before purchase?

Does anyone know if the big dealers like BMW Seattle or Bellevue will allow an individual take a used or certified car to their own mechanic for inspection before purchase?

I know they inspect all the cars on their lot before they sell them but you never know. They can make a lot of money selling something they take in on a trade in.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I have never owned a BMW and they are expensive. Something tells me a second set of trained eyes is not a bad idea before plunking down the cash.
Advertisement
Old 12-24-2011, 08:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPuyallup View Post
Does anyone know if the big dealers like BMW Seattle or Bellevue will allow an individual take a used or certified car to their own mechanic for inspection before purchase?

I know they inspect all the cars on their lot before they sell them but you never know. They can make a lot of money selling something they take in on a trade in.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I have never owned a BMW and they are expensive. Something tells me a second set of trained eyes is not a bad idea before plunking down the cash.
If they say no, go find another dealer, cause they're trying to hide something. There is no reason why they wouldn't allow you to do this.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:54 AM
David W

Mein Auto: 2007 335I E93 & E92
I ask the sales person to show me the mechanics inspection report, it will be correct because the mechanic will loose his license if he is caught lying on it. Look for odd tire and brake wear, shows hard driving. Also look at the service records. If the car is only a few years old and still has warantee on it any problems will be looked after so I don't get a mechanic to check it out but I do look very carefully for paint repairs and body damage.
David
Old 01-10-2013, 04:22 PM
Past Sponsor

Send a message via Skype™ to ian@jewelorjalopy
Mein Auto: 2000 540it Sport - sold
They might resist, or if it has a warranty they might say you won't need to have it inspected

I would always have someone objective look at it for you.

Another option is to have someone more experienced come look at it with you, see my .sig.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:33 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
I bought my Z4 M Roadster at East Bay BMW in Pleasanton, in the great San Francisco Bay Area. On the phone the day before, I told my sales person that if I flew up to look at the car I wanted to have a PPI (Pre-Purchas Inspection) done at a local independent.

When I arrived (they picked me up at the airport in the car and I drove it back to the dealer) they had me sign a document ("East Bay BMW Borrowed Vehicle Agreement") that basically said that they were allowing me to take the car for 4 hours and that essentially I was responsible for anything that happened while the car was in my possession. At my request the dealer also provided a print-out of the "Warranty Vehicle Inquiry" on the car showing the entire history including the in-service date, all options, and all service performed. I had to provide proof of insurance. I drove the car to a restaurant to have lunch and then to a German car independent a few miles away where I had made an appointment. After the PPI I drove back to the dealer and bought the car. I was prepared to fly back to San Diego if the PPI wasn't satisfactory or if we couldn't agree on the price.
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 01-12-2013, 01:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Williamso View Post
I ask the sales person to show me the mechanics inspection report, it will be correct because the mechanic will loose his license if he is caught lying on it.
I had a mechanic look at a Ford a few years ago. The report was inaccurate. It missed things and said some things needed work that didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfamily View Post
If they say no, go find another dealer, cause they're trying to hide something. There is no reason why they wouldn't allow you to do this.
There's an independent BMW garage, Strictly BMW, on 140th Ave NE about 2 blocks from BMW Bellevue.