Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-26-2013, 01:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 07 750i, 02 540i Sport
It that's item 10 in the diagram, it's not broken it's an extension tube coming from the CCV and is only connected at the rear of the manifold.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Intake Manifold.png
Views:	62
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	359256  

Last edited by Ltmax; 01-26-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:10 PM

Mein Auto: 99 BMW 540i
Ok thanks, I appreciate it
Old 02-03-2013, 11:45 PM

Hi Ltmax, can u tell me how to connect the intake manifold hose to the CCV cover and also the other end to the throttle body, the guy who did my ccv screw me, I opened the front and back of intake manifold found out the hose was not connected to anything and the front end has a little crack and the ccv is screw too the port for the valve hose with that red grommet comes off just by pulling so I am planning to buy this time an OEM CCV and wonder if I should buy a new intake manifold hose too
Your help is appreaciated
Old 02-04-2013, 05:06 PM

Having done two of these in the past 6 months , my advice is to get new front and rear intake manifold gaskets along with the 4 lower intake manifold gaskets and then remove the 5 10mm fuel rail bolts, lift up the fuel rail (with the injectors still attached and tie it up out of the way as best you can), remove the few hoses and wires from the top of the intake along with the manifold bolts and then take off the entire intake manifold and throttle body as an assembly sliding it out from under the complete fuel rail injector assembly. It looks a little scary but actually only takes about 20 minutes to get the entire intake manifold off.

Once it's off you can clearly see how simple this system is and you may find that the small hose connecting the OSV to the aluminum OSV tube that is located under the intake manifold is split as well (it was on both of my 540i's). Also, this way you can get at the rear CCV torx screws much easier and don't have to worry about rounding them off like you do when trying to do the job on the car.

After that, remove the front and rear covers, install new gaskets (doing the rear CCV cover first so you can push that long plastic extension tube that goes inside the middle of the intake manifold onto the male end sticking out on the inside of the CCV before putting it back together)

The spring loaded section of the aluminum tube just pushes on to the OSV grommet behind the timing chain cover under the intake manifold and as you are lowering the intake into place you can slide the other end onto the CCV fitting before you drop it into place.

After that, the rest is pretty simple buttoning it back together. Only pointer I have is don't try and remove the injector electrical connectors from the fuel rail as they are a pain in the butt and it's soo much easier/quicker to leave them connected and just lift up the fuel rail and injectors as one unit. (also put a light coat of grease on the injector lower o-rings if they don't look too be too hard or even better yet replace the injector o-rings as well while you have it apart)

Good luck and let me know if you need any more info.

Last edited by Ltmax; 02-04-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:21 PM

Thank you so much Ltmax, you made my day, I will order the parts and do the job sometime next week when the weather gets a little nicer. as u mentioned the injector nozzle o-ring I will buy new ones too along with all the gaskets, OSV hose, CCV intake manifold hose as well I wanna make sure I don't go back there any time soon
Thanks again I keep u inform after the work or b4 if I have more questions, God bless you
Old 02-05-2013, 08:44 AM

Mein Auto: 97 BMW 540i
If You replaced a ccv after it failed , it will still smoke for a little while. Mine smoked for some time. There was alot of oil in my manifold and i wiped out what i could butt he rest had to combust. Had i not cleaned out the excess oil in the manifolit would have been smoking for much longer. Probably a few days
Old 02-05-2013, 10:09 PM

The problem is mine was smoking once in the while at fresh start but not every time and the smoke would disappear quick, after the CCV it get worse, the mechanic guy did a pretty bad job after i opened the front cover saw too much oil inside the manifold and the hose disconnected, just have to do the all work again with a new CCV and all gaskets cause I am pulling off the entire manifold
Thanks your point
Old 02-08-2013, 04:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 540I/6 Sport
I just installed a 42 Draft Design catch can. It is unnecessary and time consuming to install a catch can by removing the intake manifold. It's really easy actually if you follow these steps and use a pipe cutting tool.
I removed the rear manifold cover and retrofitted it to accept 3/4" fuel hose coming from the catch can. Then, with the intake manifold still on, I popped out the vent tube, slid it backward about 6", then used a pipe cutting tool to make the vent tube about 3" shorter than original. The vent tube it self is 19MM and the 3/4" (19mm) fuel hose clamps to the vent pipe perfectly. Re-insert vent tube into OSV (front of engine). Re-connect the rear manifold cover. Connect hoses to catch can.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:18 AM

Thanks to all you who contributed any how to this post, I finally got rid of the fresh start smoking which got worse with an after market CCV. I had to drop the intake manifold put a new OEM CCV with new gaskets front and back also throttle body gasket, and the intake manifold it self gaskets ( 4) and the OS hose about $250 in parts with a DIY the smoke is gone for sure
I wanna share something with all you during this journey that took me about 4 hours with no help. I Think the best way to change your CCV is to drop the complete intake manifold and change all the gasket associated with the intake manifold and also buy new regular bolts to change all the bolts front and back instead of that stupid German X head bolt
Once again thanks all you you guys , I am more than happy today to crank my bimmer without that big embarrassing smoke behind me everyday. So if are planning for a CCV DIY I recommend u to drop the all intake manifold and change also the oil separator hose along with all the gaskets associated. I appreciate all you guys for your time
Old 02-15-2013, 04:47 AM

Glad it worked out well, and she is smoke free once again!
Old 02-15-2013, 10:42 AM

Yes she is smoke free once again and she regained the power too, thanks a lot for all your prompt answers and advice.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 540iA
You can take out diaphragm and exam the membrane to see if there is any damage, you can just swap out with a new one without taking entire thing out, like in this video
Old 02-15-2013, 09:26 PM

this is probably a cheap way to do it, but I would rather changed the all CCV for preventive repair, and also if u are not sure about the maintenance of your car it is always better to change all the gaskets associated with the intake manifold if your are DIY that can save u time and drive with confidence. So most of the parts in my bimmer have never been changed b4 that's the reason I change everything that comes off while changing a part as preventive precaution
Thanks for the video