Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 10-31-2014, 02:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0d Msport
NAV screen protector

I have a new X3 coming in a month or two. My current one that I had for the past 3 years I noticed minor surface scratches on the nav screen (the large 7" [I think] one).

Since every other one of my devices has screen protector (phones / tablets etc..) does anyone recommend a specific type / make? Indeed, is anyone as anal as me when it comes to this stuff? ;-)

Yes - screen protectors can exhibit the same flaws (scratches) but you can just whip a shiny new one on ...
Advertisement
Old 10-31-2014, 04:41 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
Why? Its not a touch screen so why would there be any reason for it to get scratched unless your not using a clean micro fiber cloth to gently wipe the dust off.

At one time I used screen protectors on my cell phone. Even though the protectors were supposed to be the best out there they always looked like crap and were a pain in the butt to apply. One day I realized that small invisible scratches (when the screen is on) are a lot less offensive than always looking at a bubble or peeling corner of the screen protector. A lot cheaper too. Its been a number of years since I used screen protectors and haven't regretted it one bit. I bet the same thing will apply to your nav screen. Anyway, why save the screen for the next owner? IMO putting a screen protector on is like putting crappy seat covers over leather seats to "maintain the trade in value".
Old 10-31-2014, 07:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Its almost impossible to apply a screen protector on the Navi screen without bubbles, the glass screen screen protector will be bubble free, but no one makes one for the BMW navi screen.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Don't forget the anti glare coating.

To avoid scratches use a micro fiber cloth softly to remove dust. Do not use anything else.

The only way I can see scratches would be if a bad detailer tried to use something else on the screen.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3-28i
I bought a Nav screen protector from http://lexerd.com/ for about $20. (Also for other cars). Even though it's not a touch screen, it's still possible to get scratches by carelessly wiping or by putting a cell phone, sunglasses or a pen on the ledge. The Lexerd easily wipes clean, and there are no bubbles.

FYI, I also put 3m protector sheets on the headlights since most older BMWs (and other cars) without these quickly turn cloudy.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:00 AM

Why on earth would you put a cell phone, sunglasses or a pen on the ledge of the navi screen?
Old 10-31-2014, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3-28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Why on earth would you put a cell phone, sunglasses or a pen on the ledge of the navi screen?
"Because it's there" Seriously, with the screen protector those items won't damage the Nav. Also my wife's iphone 6+ and my Samsung Note 3 are too fat to easily fit elsewhere, plus we get marginally better cell coverage compared to sitting on the seat (yes, some areas near us are 0 to 1 bar, so small position changes can make a big difference).
Old 10-31-2014, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 xDrive35i
Hey, I think it's a great idea! Thanks for the link, I ordered one. It's really easy to scratch the screen when cleaning, even with a microfiber cloth. I love BMW's non-touch screen approach because it keeps the display much cleaner and does not require the "reaching" that a touch screen does, but dust does accumulate. I wish BMW used a harder screen material but, lacking that, if the protector will fit properly, it will help take the worry out of cleaning.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 330cic
Everyone is deferent and takes care of their Beemer as they most probably take care of them selves.

Me too can't understand why anyone would put anything near the Nav system?! Imagine having to throttle hard for whatever reason, you will have your cell phone + pen flying against your face or chest, doesn't sound safe at all.

In my particular case my iPhone is in my pants pocket while driving as it's connected so there's no need to even touch the phone while in the car driving.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:18 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 35i M Sport
I made a DIY screen protector from black foam core board, for both the nav screen and instrument display. Used when the detail guy works on the interior.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
Everyone is deferent and takes care of their Beemer as they most probably take care of them selves.

Me too can't understand why anyone would put anything near the Nav system?! Imagine having to throttle hard for whatever reason, you will have your cell phone + pen flying against your face or chest, doesn't sound safe at all.

In my particular case my iPhone is in my pants pocket while driving as it's connected so there's no need to even touch the phone while in the car driving.
Worst yet, the cell phone or sunglasses can fall on the wood trim and scratch it up. I have been using a computer screen cleaner and eye glasses cloth to clean the navi screen and gauge screen for years and never had a problem.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:08 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0d Msport
Sorry - been away a couple of days after I'd kicked this one off :-)

I do use micro-fibre cloths, however there are still horizontal lines across the screen at the lower edge. I don't put my phone there (although now someone has mentioned it, a good idea :-o), so I can only suspect when I let the BMW dealer have it, and they clean it afterwards, perhaps they have not always given as much care as I :-(.

I get the point about the bubbles, thanks, although I'm tempted to give a try in the new one I'm getting next month. At least one can get a six pack and try again if at first you don't succeed ...

Thanks for the input.