Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:30 AM

Mein Auto: 335iXDrive
Help find collision repair shop

Had my 335iXDr since Nov. 8, '12. Unfortunately, she was struck by a big SUV who lost out of control and hit her at the right front fender just over the front tires, the impact threw us to the left side and hit the wall, it happened so fast and for some good luck, my wife and 8yo son did not get a scratch. But my poor 335 got hammered on both sides. Here's my problem now, does anybody have any good advice on where to go to get her fix? I live in Lakewood, CA (LA) and I'm worried to take her to a none experience BMW body and repair shop that may jeopardize the warranty. No airbag deployment though and it doesnt look like a total wreck. The suburban SUV looks pretty bad.

Advertisement
Old 01-13-2013, 01:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Ouch, sorry to hear about your accident. Since it doesn't sound like you were at fault and California law gives you the right to get your car repaired at the shop of your choosing. I'd ask your local BMW dealerships what body shop they prefer for their repairs. They tend to be pricey but do a good job.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 Melbourne Red 335i
Unhappy So sorry !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed 335ixDr View Post
Had my 335iXDr since Nov. 8, '12. Unfortunately, she was struck by a big SUV who lost out of control and hit her at the right front fender just over the front tires, the impact threw us to the left side and hit the wall, it happened so fast and for some good luck, my wife and 8yo son did not get a scratch. But my poor 335 got hammered on both sides. Here's my problem now, does anybody have any good advice on where to go to get her fix? I live in Lakewood, CA (LA) and I'm worried to take her to a none experience BMW body and repair shop that may jeopardize the warranty. No airbag deployment though and it doesnt look like a total wreck. The suburban SUV looks pretty bad.
First & foremost , glad your wife & son are fine Sorry about your Bimmer ! If you lived closer to San Diego , I would recommend Amatos. They are excellent. That shop does all the high end cars in San Diego. We have used them twice , & were quite impressed . I would check with Jon Schafer , I am sure he has excellent contacts in Southern California Good luck post pictures of the damage.
June 9,2012 New Order. 2013 335i Sedan, Melbourne Red Metallic Sport Line, Brushed Aluminum, Leather Dakota Black/Red Highlight, 19" Wheels, Premium Package, Dynamic Handling Package, Technology Package, Sport Transmission with Paddles, Htd Front Seats & Harmon Kardon Performance Center Delivery October 9, 2012. BMWCCA Member since April 2006.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:56 AM
Donkeybike?

Mein Auto: HP2Sport - R1200GS - F30
Does LGB BMW still have their own bodyshop? It's been years but if they still operate one use them.

Class Auto on Spring is who the MBZ dealer used for years.

There's also Marco's Body Shop but they aren't too local.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:02 AM

Last edited by Speed 335ixDr; 01-13-2013 at 10:14 AM. Reason: picture not shown
Old 01-13-2013, 10:26 AM

Thanks all. I was thinking McKeana BMW in Norwalk but the yelp Forum does not show a very possitive feedback. I will check Amatos and see if they could help out.

Any body knows how this affects the BMW warranty in he future? Say, 3 years from now and I have problems with the front suspention, would BMW point fingers on the body shop I chose and vise versa?

Do I need a Lawyer to start chasing the other insurance and make sure I get the best Quote from their Adjuster?

I have thousands of questions right now, so please post anything that you think I need to be aware of.

Regards....

Old 01-13-2013, 11:25 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed 335ixDr View Post
Thanks all. I was thinking McKeana BMW in Norwalk but the yelp Forum does not show a very possitive feedback. I will check Amatos and see if they could help out.

Any body knows how this affects the BMW warranty in he future? Say, 3 years from now and I have problems with the front suspention, would BMW point fingers on the body shop I chose and vise versa?

Do I need a Lawyer to start chasing the other insurance and make sure I get the best Quote from their Adjuster?

I have thousands of questions right now, so please post anything that you think I need to be aware of.

Regards....
First, I am sorry that you were in the accident. I know it can be a very stressful and traumatic event. Thankfully, it doesn't sound like you or your family was injured, but it still would be of your best interest to find an attorney that regularly handles automobile collisions to handle your case. I am an attorney myself and when I was in an accident last year, I hired an attorney that specialized in personal injury to handle my case since I do not practice in that area of law.

The value of your car will be significantly diminished because of the accident, and you have the right under California law to pursue a diminished value claim. Some insurance companies will try to push you into a quick settlement, so be very careful and make sure you pursue this, which could potentially be worth thousands. Insurance companies save billions every year because people fail to think about this until it comes time to trade the car in. Having an attorney will help you sort these things out.

For now, I would avoid any contact with the other driver's insurance company. If they attempt to contact you, refer them to your own insurance company if you have not found counsel to represent you yet. Once you have found a lawyer, they will take care of everything for you.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Yes, any repairs do affect your warranty claims. The body shop I worked with offered a lifetime warranty on their repairs which gave me peace of mind. Alternatively, working with a BMW approved body shop should have warranty benefits as well.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:05 PM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
FYI, an X-drive should not be towed like that-- flatbed only. may want to have the drivetrain checked out after the body repairs are done
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 01-13-2013, 03:23 PM
Donkeybike?

Mein Auto: HP2Sport - R1200GS - F30
I'd venture to say the transmission needs to be serviced now. About twenty years ago I had my car towed like that and it burned the transmission fluid. Lesson learned. Pretty much any modern European car has to be on a flatbed tow truck.

I had to run in circles to get the tow truck company to foot that bill.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: E46, E83, E90 (all MT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
FYI, an X-drive should not be towed like that-- flatbed only. may want to have the drivetrain checked out after the body repairs are done
+1. There is very likely to be damage to the AWD transfer case as a result of towing it like that. The transmission may have also suffered damage. Unfortunately, the damage may not be immediately apparent, and may fail several thousand miles in the future.

So, to the OP: IMO you now have body damage on both sides, suspension damage, unknown mechanical damage to driveline (tow truck) and diminished value. This is getting complicated. I think getting an attorney would be prudent.