Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-12-2013, 07:45 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
overdue wash and detail

I haven't been participating as much lately, but an overdue detail, heck overdue wash (the longest it has ever been since I got the car I'm pretty sure), is a good excuse to start a thread. A free weekend coincided with clear skies, yay.

So the LSP is Menzerna Power Lock, my first time trying it. I used one of those finger mitt foam thingys for the first time, to apply the sealant to all the little nooks and crannies, including in the engine bay area. The sealant could probably have gone on a bit smoother, I think it was a bit too firm/cold at slow speed/pressure coming from my repurposed mini-fridge (even if at warmest setting). I did a very, very light clay on mostly horiz panels (that super soft Pinnacle stuff, it's been maybe years at this point, yet there's still extremely little contamination to be had) and polish on the upper half of the car, 85RD on black pad around 2.5ish on a PC. Hm, ok might as well list the other things I did: CG Citrus through a Griot's gun, single bucket, polish, Griots paint cleaner, sealant coats. PlastX on exterior lights, that Finish Line "Krytox" stuff everywhere (I think my recent Gummi purchase may have solved intermittent rattle/creaks, so hopefully this will just seal the deal), cleaned the window felts (is there a more proper name?) by using a card with MF towel wrapped around it, Megs D120 on Griots polyprolylene for the glass, vacuumed interior, soft MF damped with distilled water on dash. The stuff that I hadn't done in a very long time were the window felts and interior glass (and I still skipped the rear windshield this time). OptiBond on tires, AA on wheels. Weeeee.

Cleaned the poor truck too. Filled the 8 tires which were all a few psi lower than desired, and charged both batteries.

The last time I had polished the BMW was about a year ago. I only reupped the LSP once since, with the same HD Poxy (stuff lasted me forever it seemed, and it's some older version). I wanted to try something different this time, and had picked the Menz up some time last year for this occasion. I'm doing two coats, but don't have any plans for a carnauba topper, in fact I haven't done that in forever.

An admission of a poor technique of mine is that sometimes I use a light dilution of ONR instead of APC/distilled/whatever on certain areas that may have porous rubber, and I'm not supposed to. I've used it on exterior rubber before, such as applying on MF to quickly wipe tires, even the rubber knobs on my sporty alum pedals (maybe these aren't porous, I dunno). Sometimes I can't be bothered to go fetch the APC, and do the follow up rinse/wipedown. I need to be better about that probably, maybe someone here can scare me from continuing to do that. The ONR is just so darn convenient esp when it's already in hand, I don't feel the need to do a follow up wipedown, it's completely inoffensive to my senses, etc. Well anyway, I hope you enjoy the pics I snapped up super quick, though I did decide to do a closer shot of the hood for the heck of it. I should maybe have taken some closeups for some of the metallic flake. I did wonder if a couple spots of the hood could do with a tad more polish, but she'll take what she can get and like it!

Advertisement
Old 01-13-2013, 12:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
Very nice
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
Old 01-13-2013, 09:04 AM
Always laughing loudest

Mein Auto: '11 335i M-sport...by day
I didn't understand half of the abbreviations, but the result sure looked good! Question, though: why armor all on the wheels? (vs a "better" brand) Posts in the detailing section seem to talk poorly about armor all in general. Given the fancier or more boutique brands you listed, I was surprised to see a product used on the tires that is so often deemed inferior. Has the brand come a long way?
Old 01-13-2013, 10:15 AM
wooohooo

Thanks for the compliments. Maybe I'll add another angled shot later. AA is the brand, but their Wheel Protectant is the specific product. I use it because it's so easy to use. Wheels still get plenty dirty, but it's not as bad and just takes longer for it to happen. There is a really long thread about it here, but I can't recall the name. I'm sure you can run different searches for it, I usually pick it up at Target when I want some.

A product I bought last year was Meguiar's Brake Dust Barrier, aka BDB, and I was planning on using it after perhaps having a wheel repair pro touch up my less than ideal DIY repairs on front wheels (I bought my car used). There was a tip here about a guy who did repairs for an amazing price, I sent him over the pics, and I dunno, he was like, so what's the problem? Shrug. Maybe I'll try them just on the rear wheels then at some point this year, but then it's the fronts that get really dirty. I've heard its properties are akin to Opti-Coat aka OC but for the wheels, that it's pretty runny, and that the wheel should be clean as a tootin' whistle.

Opti-Coat is expensive, can be used on the whole car, and from what I gather, it sheds brake dust better than anything out there. It comes in a syringe, you can hire a pro if you want, it is permanent until mechanically abraded away. There is an idiosyncrasy about it that I can't remember, but otherwise some people don't think it looks as good as some other nice waxes. Most people however are typically elated with such a product, because it still looks good, and lasts as long as it does.

Anyway, there are other wheels sealants out there, but there hasn't been enough chatter about any given one that I read about for me to try. I did try Rejex once or twice, and for me it is just too much effort for its limited results. AA very well may be an inferior product, maybe it isn't I don't know, but it just doesn't get easier than a spray-on-and-walk-away. I often do a second coat some time later, but I've no idea how little it helps. Wheels should be dry.

Last edited by Ilovemycar; 01-13-2013 at 10:51 AM. Reason: forgot the word "Barrier", haha
Old 01-13-2013, 10:24 AM
Bond Girl

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 328i
Beautiful job! You definitely one-upped me, as all I did yesterday afternoon was a simple interior wipe-down, vacuuming, and hand wash & wax. Here's to hoping it doesn't rain or snow any time soon!

"Just the thing for unwinding after a rough day at the office."
BMW CCA Member 473595

2009 E90 Alpine White | Saddle Brown | Sport | Premium | Comfort Access | iDrive | Steptronic | Super Fantastic | Bavarian Beast

Old 01-13-2013, 10:31 AM
wooohooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisingbimmer View Post
Beautiful job! You definitely one-upped me, as all I did yesterday afternoon was a simple interior wipe-down, vacuuming, and hand wash & wax. Here's to hoping it doesn't rain or snow any time soon!
Thank you, cruising. I will admit that I was motivated in great part by the longer term weather forecast showing that the coast was clear for a while. I know that forecast changes easily, but still.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:40 PM

Mein Auto: E93
Looks great! How much time did you spend on it?
Old 01-13-2013, 07:12 PM
Omnes rationi moderatum

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Nice Job, ILMC,

Can you do mine next?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Messy E93 01-2013 -1.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	357521  

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 01-13-2013, 07:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
[QUOTE=Ilovemycar;7309272]I haven't been participating as much lately, but an overdue detail, heck overdue wash (the longest it has ever been since I got the car I'm pretty sure), is a good excuse to start a thread. A free weekend coincided with clear skies, yay.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Looks like new! Absolutely sparkling...but now you've thrown a "guilt trip" on me.

I have to wonder if the SoCal rains are over. I have several issues that I've not tended to with my E90:
1. No wash in "months." Rainy season here...why bother?
2. Interior is rather grubby (I hold my "trash mail" on my passenger seat for weeks). Christmas tree needles all over the interior, but they smell nice.
3. I'm getting an odd "smell" from the trunk and wondering if it's from a banana that I misplaced several months ago.
4. All FOUR tires show "low pressure" (TPMS) It's been this way for weeks and I'm too lazy to fix it, but occasionally throw a tire pyrometer on the tread to check temps. So far OK (short trips).
5. Wheels are turning "black" from brake dust, but they are starting to look like a "legit" powder coating" job (charcoal). I'm debating whether to clean them. Powder coating costs a fortune!

The downside of this is that I'm not getting "preferential" valet parking now and the 'valets' complain about the banana smell, demanding an extra tip.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 01-13-2013, 10:16 PM
Fluggaenkdechioebolsen!

Mein Auto: MH-60S
Ilovemycar,

1-That post reads like you were in a caffeinated state of nirvana when you wrote that. Very impressed.
2-I'm in the military and your abbreviation and acronym usage puts me to shame.
3-The Mrs.' E90 is moving to SoCal in a few weeks. Please keep your weekends open.
4-Perhaps the word immaculate can actually not be an overstatement here. You're an artist.

Mad respect,
PBWA

Last edited by PartyBoyWA; 01-13-2013 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:52 AM
wooohooo

sorus, I'm not exactly sure, but it wasn't very long in terms of going hands-on past what a "thorough carwash" might last. Maybe an extra couple or possibly few hours, tops? Then there is some down time added in there, when you let the sealant haze over and/or cure. I'm not completely done because I'm too lazy to take out the pads from the Snappy Clean citrus bath they're sitting in right now. (Removing sealant from pads is typically my least favorite thing about detailing. Polish no problem, sealant, I dunno what it is with me.) Anyway, the reason it's not an all day affair is because the car was already in good condition. Get it in good condition, then it's just a matter of good wash technique and products, and keeping some protection on, IMO, and just do the every once in a long while mini love fest with it, like I just did.

NK
, I am both honored yet intimidated that it is you who would ask me! That pic, hey that's pretty good there, I'm impressed! Definitely a bit worse off than mine was.

PnG, you crack me up.

PartyBoyWA,

1. Hahahaha.

2. Oh, was it that bad?
Ok, for anyone who could use it, LSP = Last Step Product, which typically means your final choice of wax/sealant. CG = Chemical Guys (they're hit or miss, so don't buy any product blindly; I do have a couple of good ones though). APC = all purpose cleaner. ONR = Optimum No Rinse (extremely versatile; no rinse wash, wash additive, clay lube, drying lube, etc). HD Poxy is really the full name of the sealant (it interestingly has a carnauba element to it), and is made by 3D, one our sponsors here (they are based out of CA, btw.)

4. Oh, thank you very much for the nice words, but I don't think I'm all that, you know. There is a learning curve for sure, and yeah it takes time to read up on the stuff, and then to try it out in real life, but I think many of us enthusiasts here can accomplish the same rather easily, well I think anyway. What I did this weekend was pretty easy, because the car was already in good shape. You should see some of the jobs the pros go crazy on. I've even seen a thread on a 75 hr job by a top pro just for a beater work truck! Cheers.

Last edited by Ilovemycar; 01-14-2013 at 12:53 AM.