Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 09-07-2013, 01:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Honda
Questions regarding tints and front bumper protector

When i pick up my new X1 a month or so from now I will be flying to Glendale, California to the dealership and driving it back to Salt Lake City. I have seen some people getting the windows tinted. What percent tints is most popular, I ordered the X1 in the M sport package and in Alpine White. I would like to go as dark as possible to keep out the sun while driving.

I also would like to get a bumper protector of some sort for the front end as the roads here in Utah are very damaging to front bumpers to pebbles and rocks as well as numerous 18 wheelers. I would like to have it installed before the 10 hour drive back to Utah. Does anyone have any recommendations? I would like to the dealer to take care of it or know of a place that can do it in the way back? Any insight would be great.
Ads by Google
Old 09-07-2013, 06:04 AM

Mein Auto: '14 X1
Mine already has a 1/4" X 2" long scratch that I caused as I entered too wide into our narrow garage. Argh! Will be ordering BMW's touch up paint. If your car is white, the front bumper scratches don't show as much. The actual bumper has a whitish inner surface. I have a couple of very tiny chips in the rear bumper fom our 10 hour trip last weekend. Definitely the BMW's paint on its bumpers seems very vulnerable to getting easily damaged. I am also curious to know what others have used for extra protection. I have heard of car wrapping like "clear bra", but it seems to be a pricey solution.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:12 AM

Mein Auto: '13 Diesel X5 & MBZ R350
Cool way to travel the roads from CA to UT.
Congrats on the new X1.
I assume you got your car from Greg @ Pacific BMW in Glendale ?

As for tinting, here in CA, we are not allowed to tint the front windshield nor the driver & passenger windows (per law).
Only legally allowed to tint the rear window and rear passenger windows.
However if you tell the installer (we have lots) that you are out of state, then they will install the front tints.
Look for a dealer that uses 3M or Madico tint film - any other cheap chinese made stuff will peel over time.

As for bumper protection, I would ask the dealer if they have the white plastic protective sheeting you can put on the bumper and front hood areas.
It won't look nice but then the protection will be temporary.

Or get a Clear Bra installed for more long term.

Every main street in the San Fernando Valley has a tint shop.

Yah - I drove from LA to SLC to go skiing up in the Wasatch mountains and got my X5 all dinged up, scratched up and eroded driving up 15 freeway with trucks that run double 53' or triples !

Never see those in CA.....

Last edited by Pat_X5; 09-07-2013 at 07:13 AM.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:48 AM

Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
3M installers can install a clear bra as well as tint. If you get Crystalline tint they will tint windshield as well, no problem.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:44 AM

Mein Auto: Honda
In Utah there's no rules against tints. I ordered the X1 in Alpine white and I would like to go as dark as possible. Do you have a recommendation on the percentage?
Old 09-08-2013, 07:48 PM
Missing German roads

Mein Auto: X1 xDrive35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thochrun View Post
In Utah there's no rules against tints. I ordered the X1 in Alpine white and I would like to go as dark as possible. Do you have a recommendation on the percentage?
Actually, they do, and I had a 35% tint all around on a car for 8 years but 2 years ago I got denied inspection because they finally caught it after all that time. I'm doing 43% driver/passenger and 30% on the rest of the car. I'm also wondering about putting a tint bar on the top of the front windshield to hide my RD better as you can't hide countermeasures easily on BMW's.

Here's the Utah law on tinting:

Utah Law permits the use of window tint on vehicles registered here in Utah. The limitations are as follows. All windshields are prohibited from having window tint, or other non-transparent material placed below the AS-1 line or 4 inches down from the top of the windshield, whichever is lower. The driver and front seat passenger side windows must not allow less than 43 percent light transmittance. All other windows behind the front seat have no minimum light transmittance requirements. Although, if the windows behind the driverís seat are tinted, the vehicle must have both the outside rear-view mirrors on the left and right side of the vehicle. Any window tint that is present on any vehicle must not be treated with a material, which presents a metallic or mirrored appearance when viewed from the outside of the vehicle. According to Federal Law, commercial vehicles are prohibited from having any window tint. If you have additional questions on this subject, please contact the Safety Inspection Section at (801) 965-4889.

As for protection, I'm going to be using Opticoat in a few weeks for my protection, especially during winter when it won't get washed bi-weekly. OC is suppose to be harder than clear coat and last a couple years or longer depending on car use.