Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 550i
New Function: Activate the optional “LIM” function in North American cars

First for clarification purposes, there are a few types of Cruise Control (CC) systems available:

Cruise control

Dynamic cruise control

Active cruise control (ACC)

Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go function

The pictures I am showing below represent ACC, but the information (and the codes changes) below apply to all CC systems (as far as I know).

In Europe (and perhaps other locations) BMW owners have the option of getting the LIM function in addition to CC. By activating it, you can limit the maximum speed at which your car can actively accelerate to, forbidding you from creeping up in a zone in which you need to stay at a particular speed. This can be very useful, for example, in school zones, areas with high police enforcement or with speed cameras. For some reason, this is not available in cars sold in the US and perhaps Canada.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	357140

The picture above shows the typical North American (NA) setup. Button 1 turns on/off the CC, 3 sets the cruise speed and 2 restores the speed (once set). Little known is the fact that the RES button (2) and the rocker switch (5) can also be used to set the speed (by turning it up or down). Once set, (5) can be used to increase/decrease the set speed. This makes, in my opinion, the SET switch somewhat redundant. In addition, if the car is equipped with ACC, there are extra buttons for adjusting (increase (4) or decrease (6)) the distance from the moving car in front.

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	357141

The setup above shows the system with the optional "Limiter" function. Button 1 also turns on/off the CC system. In this case the RES button (2) or the rocker switch (4) serve as the "SET" button (turn up or down for setting the desired speed, and then up or down to increase or decrease the set speed). The rest of the buttons work as described above.

The "Speed Limiter" is controlled by the LIM button (labeled "SET" in NA), is an independent option, and if activated, it overrides/deactivates the Cruise Control holding speed. When activated you cannot accelerate past the set speed. Think of it this way; CC sets the minimum speed at which you want to travel, LIM sets the maximum. If you do a lot of city driving, I bet you will end up using the LIM function even more that CC.

Note-to activate the LIM function, the CC system does NOT have to be on. Just a simple push of LIM is sufficient.

You can activate this function in NA (and perhaps other locations) by coding the following:

F10

ICM->3000-Daten->LDM_SLD_Funktion-> ein (aus is the default)

ICM->3000 Daten, F8->LDM_Umschaltung_ACC_DCC->zulassen (unterdruecken is the default)

KOMBI->3003 FZG_Ausstattung, 10->SLD_ENABLE->aktiv (nicht_aktiv is the default)

ICM->3000 Daten, F8->LDM_SET_Taste->nur_SET__O (default is SET_und_aktivieren__IO)

F25 (thanks to Sean) & F30 (thanks to ilhan1103)

ICM > 3000 daten, F8 > SLD_Funktion > aktiv (nicht_aktiv is the default)

ICM > 3000 daten, F8 > C_Umschaltung_ACC_DCC > zugelassen (unterdruecken is the default)

KOMBI->3003 FZG_Ausstattung, 10->SLD_ENABLE->aktiv (nicht_aktiv is the default)

ICM->3000 Daten, F8->LDM_SET_Taste->nur_SET__O (default is SET_und_aktivieren__IO)

When activated, a LIM signal will show up in your instrument panel (see picture below), which is achieved by just pushing the "SET" (now equivalent to the LIM) button on left side of your steering wheel. The limiter can be released (overridden) by accelerating hard or pushing the "SET" (LIM) button again. If it was overridden by hard acceleration, the limit will reactivate once the car slows down to below the set value. When engaged, you can adjust your maximum speed with the rocker switch (4).

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	357142

As presently configured, you have three redundant ways to set the CC speed (the SET button, the RES button and the rocker switch). With the change in coding, now you will have a new function activated by the SET button (the LIM function) and the rocker switch/RES will be your way of setting the CC speed.

Notes:

Any errors/or malfunctions will clear up after a complete car shutdown.

Functionality on the F25 and other platforms has not been extensively tested. There might be other combinations allowing the activation of CC and LIM. Please let us know if any differences you see.

Thanks to Shawn, Sean (Imsw1), and ilhan1103 for early testing. Particular thanks to Miotoo, whose help was crucial to get this working.

JEG23

Last edited by JEG23; 02-13-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 01-11-2013, 01:52 PM

Mein Auto: F11 530D
Just a quick correction:

The LIM function does allow you to go above the speed you chose - there is just some resistance once you hit the limit, but if you keep on pushing, you will actually go above the limit.

I do use this to keep me from exceeding 220 km/h, since my winter tires are only specified up to 210... but even with the limit set, I actually have to watch it, so the car does not go faster...

Still very useful - I like it more than the audio limit you can set in the CIC....

Frank
Old 01-11-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Frankenstein View Post
Just a quick correction:

The LIM function does allow you to go above the speed you chose - there is just some resistance once you hit the limit, but if you keep on pushing, you will actually go above the limit.

I do use this to keep me from exceeding 220 km/h, since my winter tires are only specified up to 210... but even with the limit set, I actually have to watch it, so the car does not go faster...

Still very useful - I like it more than the audio limit you can set in the CIC....

Frank
Frank, thanks for the correction.

I do mention that the LIM can be overridden by pressing hard the accelerator. I am sure this is also a safety mechanism, just in case you need to go faster in an emergency.

JEG23
Old 01-11-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Frankenstein View Post
Just a quick correction:

Frank
By the way, I envy you. I wish that was my reason to use the LIM function. Usually is for a school speed zone so I do not go faster that 20 mph.

JEG23

Last edited by JEG23; 01-11-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:30 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Once the LIM is set, do you also use the rocker switch to set the "max speed"? If yes, means the rocker switch is use to set CC & LIM speed.

Or do you drive up the the max speed and switch LIM on? Means, the rocker switch is strictly for CC use?
Old 01-11-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kon View Post
Once the LIM is set, do you also use the rocker switch to set the "max speed"? If yes, means the rocker switch is use to set CC & LIM speed.

Or do you drive up the the max speed and switch LIM on? Means, the rocker switch is strictly for CC use?
Kon,

Your first statement is correct. When you are using the LIM, the rocker switch can be used to increase or lower the maximum speed. When you are using CC, the rocker switch is used as usual to set up or down your minimum speed.

The nice thing is that your instrument cluster (or HUD if present) shows these changes in a bright green indicator with the speed.

JEG23
Old 01-11-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEG23 View Post
Kon,

Your first statement is correct. When you are using the LIM, the rocker switch can be used to increase or lower the maximum speed. When you are using CC, the rocker switch is used as usual to set up or down your minimum speed.

The nice thing is that your instrument cluster (or HUD if present) shows these changes in a bright green indicator with the speed.

JEG23
Thanks!
Old 01-11-2013, 08:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Good Stuff JEG23!

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 01-11-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
Good Stuff JEG23!
It is as much yours as it is mine. Heck, let's bring the two bananas back
Old 01-12-2013, 05:53 AM

Mein Auto: F10 M5
That is some effort JEG
+1 for your team work

Last edited by DreamCar; 01-12-2013 at 05:58 AM.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Had this activated in my F30 (European model) today, work flawlessly, it originally came equipped with S544A Cruise control with brake function.

Originally, HUD only shows green icon when the Cruise Control is active, show the preset speed briefly then just the icon (if I don't remember wrongly).

For LIM, only the cluster LIM lights up (and the "preset" speed green 'dot' on the speedo, speed adjustment also show on the extended cluster as adjustment is made like cruise control), but nothing shows up on HUD at all - maybe this is a F30 thing, but just wanted to clarify that there is no bright green indicator as you mentioned, at least for F30.

Question I have wondering is, if a vehicle (EU made) only came pre-equip with LIMIT function (no cruise control), would it be possible to also activate cruise control on such vehicle? I'm not sure if there's added hardware requirement (perhaps on the braking part), but at least for cruising it seems possible. Unfortunately, I won't be able to try this out as most vehicle in the country has cruise control as standard option, barring a few parallel (grey) import.

Lastly, would you be so kind to tell me (if you know), what is the setting to fine tune the cruise control/limit speed indicator that appears on the rim/perimeter of the speedo, i.e. the red & green dot.

Mine is working fine except it is indicating/lighting up at the wrong spot, specifically, 3km/h slower, i.e. if I set the cruise control speed at 80km/h, it would light up at the 77km/h spot. No impact to the feature or functionality, just an eyesore. Went to the dealer 3 times to recode to no avail (except replacing the whole cluster which they are reluctant, and promised a new code would fix the problem - well at least for the last 2 to 3 time). I could tell it is 3km/h coz if i set the speed at 83km/h it would lit up the 80km/h spot exactly... hahaha... it was working fine initially, until I send the car in to the dealer for first software upgrade to fix the Auto-Stop-Start that actually ended up as Auto-stall on the first batch of F30/335

Last edited by kon; 01-12-2013 at 06:52 AM.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:53 AM

Mein Auto: 116i
+max
Old 01-12-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCar View Post
That is some effort JEG
+1 for your team work
It was fun.

A lot of very helpful fellows around here.

JEG23
Old 01-12-2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Had this activated in my F30 (European model) today, work flawlessly, it originally came equipped with S544A Cruise control with brake function.
Great!

Quote:
Originally, HUD only shows green icon when the Cruise Control is active, show the preset speed briefly then just the icon (if I don't remember wrongly).
I think it is the same in the F10. The green speed show briefly in the HUD and then disapears.

Quote:
Question I have wondering is, if a vehicle (EU made) only came pre-equip with LIMIT function (no cruise control), would it be possible to also activate cruise control on such vehicle? I'm not sure if there's added hardware requirement (perhaps on the braking part), but at least for cruising it seems possible. Unfortunately, I won't be able to try this out as most vehicle in the country has cruise control as standard option, barring a few parallel (grey) import.
I highly doubt that you can activate CC by just coding. I am pretty sure you need additional hardware.

Quote:
Lastly, would you be so kind to tell me (if you know), what is the setting to fine tune the cruise control/limit speed indicator that appears on the rim/perimeter of the speedo, i.e. the red & green dot.
I do not know this. I know the codes to allow setting CC at a lower speed than 20 mph for example, but not to calibrate the speed. Sorry.

JEG23
Old 01-12-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Great!

I think it is the same in the F10. The green speed show briefly in the HUD and then disapears.

I highly doubt that you can activate CC by just coding. I am pretty sure you need additional hardware.

I do not know this. I know the codes to allow setting CC at a lower speed than 20 mph for example, but not to calibrate the speed. Sorry.

JEG23
What are the codes to allow setting CC at a lower speed than 20 mph?

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 01-12-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
What are the codes to allow setting CC at a lower speed than 20 mph?
Shawn,

I am always a bit reluctant to put something out there that I have no tested myself (I am not 100% sure), but here is goes:

For ACC:

ICM->LDM_Wunschgeschw_ACC_max_kmh
ICM->LDM_Wunschgeschw_ACC_max_mph

Hexadecimal values. Convert HEX to decimal and then multiply by 5
Default 180 kmh/100 mph

For DCC:

ICM->LDM_Wunschgeschw_DCC_max_kmh
ICM->LDM_Wunschgeschw_DCC_max_mph

Values same as above

For both ACC and DCC

ICM->LDM_Wunschgeschw_min_kmh
ICM->LDM_Wunschgeschw_min_mph

Hexadecimal values. Convert and use directly
Defaults 30 kph, 20 mph

For the "LIM" speed limiter

ICM->3000-Daten->LDM_SLD_vmin_kmh
ICM->3000-Daten->LDM_SLD_vmin_mph
ICM->3000-Daten->LDM_SLD_vmax_kmh
ICM->3000-Daten->LDM_SLD_vmax_mph

Defaults 30 kph, 20 mph (min) 230 kph, 140 mph (max)

JEG23

Last edited by JEG23; 01-12-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Shawn,

I am always a bit reluctant to put something out there that I have no tested myself (I am not 100% sure), but here is goes:

For ACC:

ICM->LDM_Wunschgeschw_ACC_max_kmh
ICM->LDM_Wunschgeschw_ACC_max_mph

Hexadecimal values. Convert HEX to decimal and then multiply by 5
Default 180 kmh/100 mph

For DCC:

ICM->LDM_Wunschgeschw_DCC_max_kmh
ICM->LDM_Wunschgeschw_DCC_max_mph

Values same as above

For both ACC and DCC

ICM->LDM_Wunschgeschw_min_kmh
ICM->LDM_Wunschgeschw_min_mph

Defaults 30 kph, 20 mph

For the “LIM” speed limiter

ICM->3000-Daten->LDM_SLD_vmin_kmh
ICM->3000-Daten->LDM_SLD_vmax_kmh

Defaults 30 kph, 20 mph

JEG23
Thanks (but you could have tested it damn it)! Put in on the list right after the painfully long awaited 3.18.4 test.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Thanks (but you could have tested it damn it)! Put in on the list right after the painfully long awaited 3.18.4 test.

Today, I promise.

I would like to test the upper limit, not the lower one
Old 01-12-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:

Today, I promise.

I would like to test the upper limit, not the lower one
Only two violinists? I thought it would have warranted a symphonies worth. At least they play in sync though.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:29 PM

Mein Auto: f30 318d
Great stuff as usual JEG23.

Btw the overruling of this function takes enough time with your foot down on the pedal before it kicks in. So no need to worry you'll bypass it unknowingly.

It saved me from a ticket today!!
Old 01-12-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilhan1103 View Post
Great stuff as usual JEG23.

Btw the overruling of this function takes enough time with your foot down on the pedal before it kicks in. So no need to worry you'll bypass it unknowingly.

It saved me from a ticket today!!
ilhan1103,

Thank you for your early testing and F30 codes. Now easy on the accelerator!

JEG23
Old 01-12-2013, 06:24 PM

Mein Auto: F10 520d
Well done Jeg23, Im happy to see the result and that it helps others on this side also.

BTW I recently had to drive up to Veendam in Holland from Zurich, thats about 850km each way and most of them on the German autobahn. All I can say is that I just feel love from my Diesel F10 endlessly in these trips. I had the chance to test the cruise at 230km/h but honestly the roads are too busy to be able to keep it for more than a few minutes. Funny that in specs, my entry level 2.0 liter engine isnt supposed to even pass 228km/h, but maybe the engine being at 20K km and running on some premium diesel, it's the only time it will ever be above it's peak advertised performance..I also recently opted for some newly developed low rolling resistance, V speed rated goodyear witer tires, maybe that helps too..the BMW oem winters are not even rated for this speed...

Anyway OT...

Cheers and thanks

F10 520d born 11.04.2011 Deep Sea Blue

205, 230, 322, 403, 415, 423, 428, 430, 431, 459, 464, 465, 494, 502, 508, 522, 524, 534, 548, 609, 614, 615, 620, 644, 654, 676, 698, 851, 879, 962, 1CA, 1CB, 1CD, 2K1, 2PA, 3AG, 4AT, 4UR, 5AC, 6AA, 6AB, 6FL, 6NF, 6NR, 6VC, 8KA, 8TF, 8TL, 8TN, 8V1
Old 01-12-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miotoo View Post
Well done Jeg23, Im happy to see the result and that it helps others on this side also.

BTW I recently had to drive up to Veendam in Holland from Zurich, thats about 850km each way and most of them on the German autobahn. All I can say is that I just feel love from my Diesel F10 endlessly in these trips. I had the chance to test the cruise at 230km/h but honestly the roads are too busy to be able to keep it for more than a few minutes. Funny that in specs, my entry level 2.0 liter engine isnt supposed to even pass 228km/h, but maybe the engine being at 20K km and running on some premium diesel, it's the only time it will ever be above it's peak advertised performance..I also recently opted for some newly developed low rolling resistance, V speed rated goodyear witer tires, maybe that helps too..the BMW oem winters are not even rated for this speed...

Anyway OT...

Cheers and thanks
Miotoo,

Thanks to you. Your early help was crucial.

You have no idea how much I envy your ability to push the car to its limit. Here we can hardly ever do that.

JEG23
Old 02-13-2013, 06:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Finally got around to trying this and works great. Thanks.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj1013 View Post
Finally got around to trying this and works great. Thanks.
snj1013,

I use it every day. Thanks for the feedback

One more tweak. This will make the LIM (SET) button work even better:

JEG23