Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 09-08-2014, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto: 95 Bmw 740il
help please 95 bmw 740il

Hey, so I just made my first BMW purchase last month(95 bmw 740il). The car ran great but had a rattling sounds form underneath the car. I'm assuming the Cats. I recently drove the car and felt like I lost some power when I parked there was a hissing sound coming from behind the engine and the car started overheating. When the car cooled down so did the hissing so I open my coolant resavour and it was bone dry. I added some water since I was there I checked the oil and deemed it needed more oil so I add a quart (castrol edge sae 5w-30). I started the car laterin the evening and let the fluids run through before i left and the hissing and overheating stopped. But the car still felt like it had a loss of power and wouldn't switch from fourth into fifth gear. Now when I start my car it idiles roughly, no power( no pick up past 40mph), loss of power steering and antilock breaks are locked and has a strange smell. Someone please help I know very little about cars but I do know I love this one.
Advertisement
Old 09-09-2014, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 740i
Make sure you use the blue stuff topping off coolant. Get it from the dealer. It's not too expensive. Start with the obvious. Find the leak. Most common places: cracked expansion tank, radiator or a hose. Good luck.