Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)

E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series E60 Sedan was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E61 wagon followed shortly there after. The E60/E61 5 series is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 07-26-2016, 04:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 530xiT
Anyone added USB to a pre-facelift E60 without Nav?

I'd like to be able to play music from a USB stick.

I've got a 2006 E61 wagon. No nav. My iDrive has the narrower display.

I've been looking at devices from Dension and GROM.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these?
2013 328i (Wife's)

So I just bought an E61...
Advertisement
Old 07-26-2016, 05:08 PM
Casual Fanatic

Mein Auto: 2007 530xi 6 speed manual
There may be more time and expense involved than it is worth.

I looked into adding a USB port to my pre-LCI 2007 530xi. Besides tearing into the dashboard to install the equipment, you will need to have your head unit coded by the dealer. I decided to live with what I've got.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:29 PM
Peter 530XIT

Mein Auto: 2006 530XIT
I've abandoned this project also. But, according to the owners manual the CD player will play MP3's. But I've not tried it yet for that. If you have a CD changer in the glove box it will not play MP3s. If you come up with a way otherwise I'm very interested. Also interested in a factory CD changer if someone has one available.

Last edited by Peter530xit; 07-26-2016 at 07:31 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:28 PM

Mein Auto: 06 550i
I've taken the dash apart multiple times and need to do it again anyway to fix a squeaky fan.

I got the itch to do this about a week ago and got lucky on a Dension unit. I have a cd changer already so I will be swapping them out. I've heard there was an update to allow the changer to read mp3, just like the main cd drive. Not sure how true that is but it might be worth looking into.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 E61
let us know how it goes with the dension install. i've had my eye on it for a while for the USB interface but wasn't convinced it was worth the expense. the install and coding dont look too complicated from what I've seen/read. in your case, since you have a CD changer, not sure you'll need any coding.

the MP3 has been spotty for me. some play, some dont. i have read some forums on bitrate making a difference, but nothing that would make me an expert on the topic. i have also noticed that MP3 CDs are slow to load the track information the first time you put them in.

i installed one of these a few weeks ago to add bluetooth functionality and it has been amazing. i will likely skip the USB route now and just use my iphone over bluetooth. i installed it behind the center console using the cigarette lighter wiring. i then ran the audio cable up unto the center console where I had relocated the aux port
Old 07-26-2016, 08:56 PM

Mein Auto: 06 550i
I'll be following some DIYs and hopefully everything should work out. Funny story about my cd changer, it never worked for me and then I finally had somebody do an aux input install for me and turns out it was never hooked into the back of the headunit. The guy didnt have the proper stuff to make a pin connection so he just stuck the wires into the back and taped them in place. It held until I took them out. Also I wanted steering wheel control and info displayed so the Dension will have to work.

I only recently had bad luck with a few songs. I cant pinpoint the cause. But if I hold down the skip button to where it functions as a fast-forward button it will actually catch the track and play it. Of course then the display wont switch to the next track so the original song, with issues, will say it had a playtime of up to 15 mins.

I have one of those and wanted to install it but wasn't sure I was doing it right and gave up. There's something about wiring diagrams that gets me stumped, but show me actual pictures with a few words and arrows and I'll get it done.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:48 AM

Mein Auto: E60545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonJon View Post
let us know how it goes with the dension install. i've had my eye on it for a while for the USB interface but wasn't convinced it was worth the expense. the install and coding dont look too complicated from what I've seen/read. in your case, since you have a CD changer, not sure you'll need any coding.

the MP3 has been spotty for me. some play, some dont. i have read some forums on bitrate making a difference, but nothing that would make me an expert on the topic. i have also noticed that MP3 CDs are slow to load the track information the first time you put them in.

i installed one of these a few weeks ago to add bluetooth functionality and it has been amazing. i will likely skip the USB route now and just use my iphone over bluetooth. i installed it behind the center console using the cigarette lighter wiring. i then ran the audio cable up unto the center console where I had relocated the aux port
+1 for me on this, for less than $50 I got Bluetooth quality sound streaming from any BT device for music etc. Cannot beat it especially if you already have the aux. in car, I did not at the time and all is hidden under the center armrest, clean and easy and CHEAP !!

1998 528i, 5 spd manual, black on black non DSP. SOLD @348Kkms and still going strong.
My previous rides worth mentioning:1970 GTO "The Judge",1985 325e M3lite, Euro BMW +
1998 323Ti, in Munich, Germany on the autobahn for 1 yr
Now back in Halifax, Nova Scotia,via Ottawa Canada.
My current daily driver:
2004 103Kkms 545i.... Aux+SB Chime+Dig speedo+iDrive discl. Coded+BT MOD.Added. And the "mschumpert Trunk lid hack".
Old 07-27-2016, 07:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 E61
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyachtie View Post
+1 for me on this, for less than $50 I got Bluetooth quality sound streaming from any BT device for music etc. Cannot beat it especially if you already have the aux. in car, I did not at the time and all is hidden under the center armrest, clean and easy and CHEAP !!
and despite what you may read about this on the forums, the sound quality has been GREAT and the phone pairs immediately with the BT device.

another nice thing about it - the phone pairs with the car and with the BT device simultaneously so if a call comes in, the music is automatically paused and the car picks up the incoming call. when i hang up, the audio starts again.

by far one of the best bang-for-your-buck upgrades to the E60 media interface.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 530xiT
After my wife got a 2012 328i she wanted to play her music from a USB stick. Since the steps were a little too complicated for her I wrote a MacOS app to sync her playlists from iTunes to one or more USB sticks. After several iterations it's very polished and almost ready to be released. So I'm very anxious to get this working in my car. I'll probably go with the Dension system. I have all the software to code both cars. I've coded hers before. Now's the time to figure out how to code mine.
2013 328i (Wife's)

So I just bought an E61...

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search