Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-11-2013, 11:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 335i xdrive
JB4 questions!

I got a 09 335i xdrive coupe, ive heard that the jb4 is having some issues and isnt worth it, instead ive heard that the cobb is better because it is not a piggyback, just a ecu flash....im wondering if it is better to go with a jb4 and if ill have any problems with ittttt
Advertisement
Old 01-12-2013, 09:19 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: E92
The JB4 is a piggy back which adds an external device into your ECU and the Cobb is a flash that remaps all settings in the car. The Cobb AccessPORT is definitely one of the most widely and most popular used tunes among the community.

The Cobb AccessPORT ECU Flash simply replaces conservative factory settings with more aggressive calibrations that result in impressive gains in torque and horsepower while still maintaining a high degree of safety for your N54 engine. The tuning is extremely flexible and allows you to choose on the fly one of the performance maps that are loaded onto the AccessPORT. Typical performance gains from the Cobb AccessPORT Stage 1 flash are increases of 30% peak horsepower and an amazing 38% increase in peak torque. This tune is an ECU flash, not a piggy-back tuner, there will be no added devices to your vehicle's ECU.

You will get a whole lot more functionality and accessibility with the COBB AP. You do get free software and map updates for life that be downloaded straight from the COBB AP Manager software. Not to mention that the COBB AP does allow for you to do live data logging, trouble shoot and scan codes! Installation is a breeze and is very straight forward. Again, you do get free updates for life and depending on what mods you have on your car, you'll be able to run the various maps that are available. We are an authorized Cobb dealer and definitely take care of all forum members. Feel free to drop me a PM if you guys have any questions at all
Hours: Mon - Fri 8:00am-6:00pm | Sat 8:00am-5:00pm
Check out the Blog for daily updates!
Old 01-12-2013, 09:59 AM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
No issues with JB4 @ 15K miles. Been on the car since 1200 miles. Just about all the stock turbo cars listed as the fastest/quickest on Drag Times run JB4.

http://www.dragtimes.com/BMW--335i-Drag-Racing.html

I can vouch for the 346whp on a pure stock car as shown in their dyno graphs; my first pure stock dyno was 362whp & 360wtq on the old JB4. With the new JB4 G5/ISO & an ETS 5" FMIC I am at 375whp & 412wtq. My own 1/4 mile runs support the dynode horsepower. Additionally, I have no connection with BMS and am not trying to sell you something just putting forward a different opinion from a vendor.

That being said they are both excellent systems & you would be happy with either one but the JB4 all in with a laptop adaptor is $500 new. Since the JB4 is fully transferable you can also find them on the various web sites "for sale" sections at additional savings.

Cut & paste from BMS.

How about up to 80hp to the wheels (100hp crank) on a completely stock car or up to 180hp to the wheels (215hp crank) on a fully modified car? The JB4 features a simple plug and play installation harness and built in deletion of hidden "tuner detection" codes. Compatible with all ECU versions. With over 5000 in use and tens of millions of customer miles driven the JB Stage3 has proven time and time again to be the safest and easiest way to extract the true potential from your N54 twin turbo!

Now shipping with JB4 featuring 5x the processing power, 2x the memory, more robust signal conditioning, and integrated CANbus. Our new CANbus module allows the JB4 to communicate with your vehicle like never before. New features include code reading/deleting, optional in dash boost, timing, air/fuel, shift light, and IAT gauges, autotuning, a buttery smooth new CANbus based integrated boost control system, map switching on the fly via steering wheel controls, built in downpipe fix, hot/cold oil temperature protection, progressive methanol integration, water pump remapping, gear dependent boost control/traction assist, and much more to come with free firmware updates uploaded using a windows laptop (or mac w/ windows emulator) and BMS USB cable.

In addition to our performance mapping the JB4 features several "on the fly" user selectable maps including a 100% stock bypass map, a 4500rpm rev limited valet mode, a fuel economy map, a progressive methanol map, a race gas map, and for those interested an rpm by rpm user adjustable map. And unlike other flash and piggyback tunes that charge per the map and lock to your VIN the JB4 is 100% unlocked. Meaning you get access to every new feature we release free of charge and when your lease is up will be able to resell the JB4 without penalty.

Remember the JB4 does not require any additional modifications or previous stages. Simply install the JB4 as your first and only modification and enjoy an entirely new fast and smooth driving experience. The JB4 also does not require any user setup or customization. Those features are included for more advanced users but for the average enthusiast simply install and enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	run2.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	357262  

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport MPPK/MPE
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV Build Thread
Cobra Coyote First Start.
PAST:
Very, Very Long List

Last edited by bear-avhistory; 01-12-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:19 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by junniior91 View Post
I got a 09 335i xdrive coupe, ive heard that the jb4 is having some issues and isnt worth it, instead ive heard that the cobb is better because it is not a piggyback, just a ecu flash....im wondering if it is better to go with a jb4 and if ill have any problems with ittttt

That is news.

Details, please. Do you have details, exactly?
Old 01-12-2013, 12:34 PM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
That is news.

Details, please. Do you have details, exactly?
Post #1 is OP's #1& based on rumor, interesting.

CURRENT:
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
PAST:
Very, Very Long List
Old 01-12-2013, 12:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 335i xdrive
Not sure about the details, just heard that its not as good as a cobb and that randomly it'd set the check engine light on and off randomly, loss in power at random moments im not 100% sure, id rather go with a jb4 due to the dyno from burgertuning saying that it has an extra 8-9 hp-10tq (roughly) just at the same time id rather have a hand held unit as wellllll haha still not sure just wanted some reviews on both
Old 01-12-2013, 03:38 PM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Bottom line is its hardware & software. I am sure people have had problems but its not the norm. results with this system are very good across the board. Try n54tech.com & http://www.bimmerboost.com/forumdisplay.php?39-N54 for good technical discussions on the JB4 & other tunes. n54 tech is a JB site & Bimmerboost is a BMW performance site.

CURRENT:
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
PAST:
Very, Very Long List
Old 01-12-2013, 03:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335Ci
Guess you haven't been to the N54 Tech website. If you're going to hear of any problems .... and solutions, that's the place to start.

I can vouch for the 'see through' properties of the JB4 PnP. I just had my E92 in for service and their key reader wasn't working. A direct connection to the ECU didn't throw any warning codes .... and when done, I just pushed a few buttons on the steering wheel to get back into fun mode.

JB4 PNP .... Love at every stomp on the go pedal!
Old 01-12-2013, 06:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by junniior91 View Post
Not sure about the details, just heard that its not as good as a cobb and that randomly it'd set the check engine light on and off randomly, loss in power at random moments im not 100% sure, id rather go with a jb4 due to the dyno from burgertuning saying that it has an extra 8-9 hp-10tq (roughly) just at the same time id rather have a hand held unit as wellllll haha still not sure just wanted some reviews on both

Not so.

Unless someone changed parameters....JB4 allows far deeper access than Cobb for custom maps. Preconfig'd maps work fine, both vendors.

$3,000 add'l, Cobb offers a program w/low level access.

BMW pilots sometimes know enough to be dangerous: Going to lower levels without knowledge, experience; expertise t'match. It's electronic Darwinism, laddie.