BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Former 5er guy now with Audi comparison

16K views 138 replies 43 participants last post by  The X Men 
#1 · (Edited)
Before I begin I want to start by saying how great the people on this forum are. No disrespect at all intended, thank you all for your input and advice!

At the end of my fellowship at Yale I started to look for a new car. It would be my first real nice car. Previously I drove SAABs because of my connection with GM discounts. In retrospect SAABs were really fantastic and I was so lucky to drive such nice cars during residency.

I originally was looking at an E92 sport with manual. My girlfriend at the time, now my wife, convincent me that I should go for a 5 series because I was a big guy (6'4''). Best decision I ever made. Did a ED with the perfect E60, sport, manual, hifi, nasca leather, ventilated seats, etc. Loved that car. But....Had to turn it in after 2 years. Wish I did a 3 year on that baby!

So I did another ED, moved to the midwest and took advantage of the great deals on E93 M3 vert. Beautiful car, white with full fox red. but so impractical for me at the time. Swap a leased it after 9 months. After that ordered a 2011 F10 550x msport. WORST CAR EVER. Drove like a pig. hated it. even my wife would say, its so luxuries, but not sporty at all. The supposed comfort seats were a huge step back from the E60, so disappointed in fellow festers telling people how good the seats are on the new F10.

So, finally I got rid of that car after a year.

Took a trip to the dark side. Bought, not leased, a A7. Phantom black, Prestige, 20' Sport, Bang and Olufsen, and Technology (cruise, night vision, HUD, etc)

Wow! what a car. feels just as fast as the 550 but handles WAAAAAAAY better. No boat like feeling. Love the dynamic cruise. Best option on the car besides the Band and Olufsen which sound incredible.

Now the driving part. The Audi schools the F10 left and right, up and down. No question. It feels 90% of the E60. All of the audi setting feel great. The best part....If you like sport, the car stays in sport when you start in up. All settings remain, including seat and wheel heaters. Why can't bmw do that?

Now there is the emotional part. My wife nailed if perfectly, the car is perfect...but its not a BMW. Its underlying parts still feel weak, like its a volkswagon. I can't wait for BmW to fix its problems (steering, handling, seating) and I want to come back. Please fix this on the LCI. SEATS EXCPECIALY. we need the side bolsters back. Those that praise the crap F10 comfort seats have no idea how goood seats can be.

Keep Bimmering my Friends,
MR

See less See more
#2 ·
Agree with you on the side bolsters..I really miss them on my F10.

#4 ·
Our family owns both BMW and an Audi a6 2013...
Just two points new BMW 5 series is NOT a great looking in my families and it drives more like a Lexus then a BMW... I drive 335 vert and I can't say that I like how A6 drives but its a far cry from a new 5 series...

For people looking for good BMW sedan either buy Audi or 3 or 6 series BMW .

My point is that BMW still makes great looking cars that are pleasure to drive in any condition, but it's not a 5 series... 3 series yes, 6 serious, yeah baby !

#5 ·
OK, so here we go again. Haven't seen this type of 5-bashing for a while now. You made a choice, be happy with it. Now we're going to get the diatribes again about how "bad" the F10 is? Personally, I think the A7 is an ugly car. Haven't driven it, I'll believe it might handle better. I see several A7's in my workplace garage, can't get past the drooping butt look. What exactly is the purpose of your thread?

#8 ·
Maybe to rightfully give his opinion on how the F10 has been softened up, compared to other German sport sedans, since he used to own one.

#6 ·
I feel the same way. My 2011 DHP equipped 535 is pretty boaty, loosey goosey feeling. It feels like it is never comfortable, never tracking straight. The suspension feels like it is never settled down.

Personally, I think the A7 is ugly and the A6 is boring looking. Interiors are nicely laid out but materials are no where near the quality of the BMW, especially mine with perforated vented Nappa. But dynamically, the A6 3.0T Sport spanks my car. My car has no where to hide, and wouldn't have any idea where it went.

I've tried every software update, and PSS tires. Multiple software reloads, etc. It's the toughest car to drive I've ever driven. Between take off tip in, occasionally laggy throttle while underway, unpredictable breaks / stopping power. It's just tiring to drive.

However, not sure what to do. Don't want to get an A6. 3 series too small. Porsche too expensive.

#12 ·
I feel the same way. My 2011 DHP equipped 535 is pretty boaty, loosey goosey feeling. It feels like it is never comfortable, never tracking straight. The suspension feels like it is never settled down.

Personally, I think the A7 is ugly and the A6 is boring looking. Interiors are nicely laid out but materials are no where near the quality of the BMW, especially mine with perforated vented Nappa. But dynamically, the A6 3.0T Sport spanks my car. My car has no where to hide, and wouldn't have any idea where it went.

I've tried every software update, and PSS tires. Multiple software reloads, etc. It's the toughest car to drive I've ever driven. Between take off tip in, occasionally laggy throttle while underway, unpredictable breaks / stopping power. It's just tiring to drive.

However, not sure what to do. Don't want to get an A6. 3 series too small. Porsche too expensive.
You seem to be having bad luck with cars. This, your old Volvo R :rofl:

#13 ·
The most I ever drove a 535 on a test drive was 15 minutes. I encountered maybe 20% of the driving conditions I normally would. You just have to try to extrapolate that over the rest of the cars experience. It's hard to do so.

One other thing I found was that there was a lot of variation in the driving experience among early cars. I ended up buying a CPO car that was the same price I would have spent new but with more warranty and many more features. Turns out that was a mistake.

#9 ·
Before I begin I want to start by saying how great the people on this forum are. No disrespect at all intended, thank you all for your input and advice!

After that ordered a 2011 F10 550x msport. WORST CAR EVER. Drove like a pig. hated it. even my wife would say, its so luxuries, but not sporty at all. The supposed comfort seats were a huge step back from the E60, so disappointed in fellow festers telling people how good the seats are on the new F10.
No disrespect intended, but calling the 550xi the WORST CAR EVER is about the most direspectful statement one can make in an F10 forum. :rolleyes:

For people looking for good BMW sedan either buy Audi or 3 or 6 series BMW .
The 5 Series crushed the A6/A7 combined US sales in 2012: 56,798 vs 27,596. So people looking for the good BMW sedan actual buy the 5 Series.

I for one really enjoyed my 550xi and as a guy who actually drives BMWs the way they are meant to be driven, the 550xi is a very capable car. Yes it lacks the level of crude NVH characteristics traditionally associated with the term sportiness, but that's a good thing. I've run against the E60 M5 at the track and in the twisties and the F10 is a very capable car. :thumbup:

#15 ·
After that ordered a 2011 F10 550x msport. WORST CAR EVER. Drove like a pig.

Took a trip to the dark side. Bought, not leased, a A7.

Wow! what a car. feels just as fast as the 550 but handles WAAAAAAAY better. No boat like feeling.

Now the driving part. The Audi schools the F10 left and right, up and down. No question.

MR
Let me start by saying that I leased an E60 for 3 years and now have an Audi A7. However, I did test drive the F10 several times before making a final decision.

Calling the F10 the WORST CAR EVER is laughable. The design intentions of the F10 certainly results in a car that is less of a "drivers car" than the prior gen E60, however, IMO it is still a great overall automobile.

I absolutely love my A7. Love the looks, fantastic supercharged engine, ride, tech, quattro and utility. However, the OP is mistaken on some points including the statement that the car stays in sport when you turn it on - it reverts back to Drive, not Dynamic Sport. I am surprised he does not know this.

#16 ·
I respect OP's opinion that BMW driving is boring. I hate my F10 in that respect.

But, OP complained about comfort seat in F10, buy he did not complained about the seat in Audi. He loses his credibility on that topic.

Audi main weakness are the SEAT (not S6/S7) and the overall interior quality compared to F10.

#18 · (Edited)
Why do people not appreciate what they have and belittle great cars so easily? I wonder about the driving skills and expectations of one who calls a 550 the worst car ever. Not credible at all.
If that's the worst car ever, what should people who drive Kias, Hyundais,etc. feel about their cars? I guess this tread was started intentionally to create some drama. We should consider ourselves lucky to have the opportunity to own/lease and drive an F10.

#26 · (Edited)
The sad part is that I recently rented a Hyundai Sonata and I found the HANDLING was much better than my F10. No boat like suspension, sharp throttle response and good steering feedback. Yes, everything else loses out to the F10.

But when you call the F10 BMW an ultimate DRIVING machine, it's a slap in the face.

A car is just a car. There's no big deal in criticizing it, especially for people that actually own one. If there is a handful that have the same dislike for the same aspects for the car, maybe it's credible? I do agree that calling it the worst car ever is a little exaggerated though.

#19 · (Edited)
Decaf and OP, I feel for you. You are in the predicament I thought I was in. With the F10 being out of the question of too many and too well known reasons to repeat there is no alternatives for us who loved the E60/E39 type of car. I thought the 3 lacked the space I needed and quality of material I wanted. Luckily for me the M3 sedan has proven to solve all of that and more. But it is no more in production and I can see how it becomes cramped if you are a big guy. This is why some of us expressed our utter dissapointment over and over and over again with the F10. If there were alternatives it would not have been such a big deal. Decaf if the F30 is too small which rules out the upcoming M3 the best hope I can see is that the porsche Pajun will come in a few reasonably priced versions. There is no way BMW can or will fix all F10 shortcomings in relation to cars like the E60 with an LCI. I've now driven the new M5 and when it can't do it an LCI will for sure not. The M5 is really a fantastic car but it's lacking in connected feel and it drives very big IMO.

#57 · (Edited)
I thought the 3 lacked the space I needed and quality of material I wanted. Luckily for me the M3 sedan has proven to solve all of that and more. ... There is no way BMW can or will fix all F10 shortcomings in relation to cars like the E60 with an LCI. I've now driven the new M5 and when it can't do it an LCI will for sure not. The M5 is really a fantastic car but it's lacking in connected feel and it drives very big IMO.
The M3 was in production when you ordered the F10, after your E60; and I presume the E60 535i. The fact is that you wanted a bigger car than the E9x (otherwise you could have bought the M3 and not the F10), and now trying to console yourself with the M3. The M5 would have been great, but you've bought the M3. I'm not sure how you drive, but for the way I did, the M3 is good as a driver's car but not for its passengers. The M5 is good for both, ie driver and passengers :) How do I know? I had a M3 loaner at length, alone in it; and driving passengers in both the M3 and M5.

A video clip for you :) http://www.bmwblog.com/2012/12/26/v...ance-center-instructor-on-small-wet-skid-pad/

you mean you enjoy a rear like this? :) http://www.google.com.sg/imgres?q=p...23&start=17&ndsp=23&ved=1t:429,r:18,s:0,i:135

now check out the roadster that was launched here, worldwide http://www.lamborghini.com/en/models/aventador-lp-700-4-roadster/overview/#!slide/800

#20 ·
mikeriley, your post lost all creditbility with me when you said the comfort seat on the F10 is terrible, yet, you did not complain about the A7's seat. I had a C7 A6 before my current F10, the A6's seat is the same as the A7 they are the worst part of the car. It is not even as comfortable as the F10's non-comfort seat. Many in the Audi forums have complain about the uncomfortable seats and the lack of an optional upgrade seat, including myself. Rattles are also a problem with the A6 and A7, its built quality is not as solid as the F10.
If you are looking for a harder suspension that comes with the better handling, then the A7 with sport package is the car for you. Power wise, the Audi 3.0T is somewhere between the 535 and 550. Bang and Olufsen sounds a bit better than the F10 premium sound, but not worth 9 times the price.
In the end, I am happy you like your A7, but there is no need to talk trash about the F10. The F10 does many things better than the A7, it just so happen that those quality are not the ones you are looking for. personally, if I were to choose betwwen the A7 and the 550i, its pretty a no brainer for me. The F10 is faster, better quality, better material and more comfortbale.

#21 · (Edited)
So far no new insights in this thread.
@AutoUnion, isn't it a pity there are so many mall informed bashing terms used over and over again about all these fine cars.
@Forum members, when entering in these apples and pears discussions, should we not stay in the same price band?
@OP, I had comfort seats in my E61, the ones I got in my F11 I like even slightly better.

And well around where I come from different than the A5 style, the A7 is not very much loved, some say the car reminds them of a dog relieving itself.
That is an overstatement ofcourse, but the A7 in the same price category can not stand up to the F10.

#24 ·
Ok here is a new and fresh perspective from the new kid on the block. This is my first BMW I have ever owned and when the opportunity came to buy one and not lease I went straight to the top. I bought the 2012 550I Xdrive Titanum grey, with all the bells and whistle (except the night vision) ha. Since September when I picked it up after waiting for months for it to be delivered from Germany as I had it custom made this vehicle has not dissapointed in any way. The power, handling, comfort of the seats, vision and technology this vehicle has is truly incrediable. Not to sure about what that other GUY who started this thread is talking about being the worst car ever, but coming from the new kid on the block with his first awesome toy, not sure what to say FELLAS.

#25 ·
What I want to see is a new shootout by one of the various magazines.

550xi vs S6 vs E550 4Matic Sport

all top spec, loaded up with all the various driving options/adaptive suspensions, etc. Would be interesting to see. The Mercedes is probably the more luxurious, S6 being the fastest, and the F10 is a mix of the two.

Having driven most of these cars, stock versus stock, the A6 3.0T is dynamically a better car than the 535xi. Same with 550xi vs S6. BUT when you look at ride comfort, luxury, BMW wins out

The Audi and BMW have sort of switched their roles with BMW being the more luxurious one, whereas Audi is the sportier one. Both are fantastic. You can't go wrong with either. If we base it entirely on pricing/dealer experience, even I would say the BMW would win because the dealers are better and you can get a fantastic deal on a 5. Can't be done on a A6/S6.

That being said, I'm just waiting for the diesel variants of both before I make my decision. The MB is out because no AWD. Leaves me with A6/7 TDI vs 535d

#28 · (Edited)
Most people on this forum feel the same way the OP feels, they just don't like it when someone switches to the other team then calls our baby ugly.

On the other hand, not everyone wants the same thing in a car. Saying the F10 drives like a Lexus is humorous for two reasons. One is that it is only a criticism if you don't like the way a Lexus drives - lots of folks do like the way a Lexus drives. Second reason is that is does not drive like a Lexus. I traded a 2010 GS350 for my BMW. The BMW drives better from an enthusiast viewpoint. I agree the F10 is not the drivers car the previous generation was (sorry, I'll never remember all these codes that ya'll use). But it's still a competent car, and if you live in Houston like I do, there really isn't much need for a sports sedan anyway. I know every curve within 150 miles of Houston. Only about ten of them are within 50 miles of Houston (and no, I'm not telling where they are). Point being that not everyone has the same needs in a car. I like a car that handles well and is composed as a daily driver, but I prefer a compromise that does not beat me up on my daily commutes.

#30 ·
Just bought a 550i M sport, but test drove the Audi S4 and A6 before making the purchase and they are very nice driving cars, but even at $1,000 below invoice on the S4, my lease payment was going to be identical to a pretty much fully loaded 550i M sport, except that the Audi required $2,000 drive off and the BMW drive off was zero...so can't imagine how much more the payment would have been on the A7..I'm guessing at least 25% more.

#31 · (Edited)
Let me give you guys a different perspective:

I've driven an A7, and marveled in how well it drove "Like a Go Cart", etc. Motor feels insanely strong, etc. etc. Unfortunately, those (IMO ugly) looks are a blatant turn off and the frontal headroom is minimal so it was immediately out of consideration as my "next car".

I came from an M-B, and although I haven't driven the A6, I know based on researching Tests between the 535i and A6 (and driving the A7), the 535i feels vastly more solid (which is quite a feat because I found the Audi VERY tight, yet this isn't a knock against the Audi as much as it is a plug for the F10 chassis), much quieter, much more luxurious, more coddling and isolated, not to mention much more attractive as the A6 looks a little mundane to me and I've never found the "Audi look" particularly sexy. Now, knowing that would drive many BMW purists straight to the other end of the spectrum, *I* was the target audience for the F10.

Motor Trend said "But whether this $63,245 Alpine White 535i with an M Sport Package stumbled into second place is moot. At the end of an arduous weeklong test, we scored it higher than the Audi, and here's why: better ride (silkiest of the group), quieter interior (quietest of the group), smoother engine (smoothest of the group), engaging steering, more comfortable and supportive seats, and an overwhelming sense of solidity. Whereas the A6 tried really, really hard to feel like a $60,000 automobile, the BMW didn't even break a sweat.
Much of the 5's air of expensiveness comes from its 7 Series' underpinnings, which, alas, make the 535i feel like its bigger and heavier sibling. It is no longer an upsized 3, but rather a downsized 7. While we prefer the former, there is a plus side to the latter. Says Evans: "The embodiment of what I think of when I think German. Very solid, substantial. Buttoned-down and refined, no-nonsense." From Lieberman: "All that solidity equates to one hell of a nice, smooth ride. 80 mph feels more like 40 mph, and 90 mph feels like a totally responsible, safe cruising speed."
Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...size_luxury_sedans/viewall.html#ixzz2HoQgycvT

I wanted something more lively than my E-Class, yet I didn't want to sacrifice ONE BIT in luxury/refinement. The 5er answered my calls in that respect. Not only does it top even the E-Class in smoothness, isolation, comfort and pure refinement, but for someone like me, it feels downright "racy", and that's not an exaggeration (I came from a 2011 E350).

I've been an M-B purist for enough time in my pretty young life to still think a LUXURY SEDAN first and foremost should be non-sacrificing in LUXURY, comfort and refinement. However, lately I wanted something more lively and sporty. The A6 is too far on the other end of the spectrum, I find some interior materials/design are too basic and/or "cheap-ish" and aren't on par or as "coddling" as the F10's (no stitching in key areas where the BMW and M-B do have is a big turnoff), and I although having not driven it, was turned off by constant Reviewer tests saying that it's "louder in cabin", "not as solid feeling", "more tinny/flimsy", than the 5er, which made it a no go considering I already preferred the F10 styling both inside and out by a good margin, and wanted to get back to my "roots" with the BMW brand and 5-Series.

Put it this way, I didn't want the E60 for the same reasons I didn't consider the A6, as there were other options in the market I found more to my liking from what I want out of a 4-Door Luxury Car, not to mention more attractive alternatives. However, this time around I wanted more of a balance, and IMO what the F10 brings to the table is a drastic attempt by BMW to do "everything all at once". Some people will hate that because they prefer an extreme, but to someone like me, it makes this car literally the best thing on 4-wheels I could have asked for. I ADORED my W212 E-Class, and I still love that body-style (pre-facelift), but the F10 did what I think BMW intended it to do: Made ME go "WOW".

Carry on. :)

#35 ·
Here's my point of view: I had a 2011 535, Sport, and pretty much fully loaded. I loved how the car looked, I bought it before doing a test drive because I bought one of the first ones ever produced. Custom ordered. And as much as I wanted to love the car, I didn't. There were many things that I didn't like, for example, as Needsdecaf said, it was always wallowing all over the road, had a tendency to veer to the right and it felt floaty. I was very disappointed. On top of that, the bluetooth was horrible (I spend nearly 2 hours on the car a day, most of the time on conference calls from and to work), so that was a BIG issue.

After struggling with it for a year, I was able to trade it in for another custom ordered 2012, this time M-Sport (with Dynamic Dampers), and also fully loaded with new goodies, like Combox (waaaay better bluetooth) and heads-up-display.

There is simply no comparison. I LOVE how this one drives. The power delivery is smooth and plentiful. The suspension does what you want it to do (Comfort+, Comfort, Sport, Sport+), drives straight like an arrow, and the sound quality of bluetooth is outstanding. Nobody knows I'm calling from my car.

I've had many, many brand new cars before (over 30 of them) including other BMW's, M-Benz, Porsche, Audi, Cadillac, Ford, Land Rover, Saab, etc. Lots of variety along the way. And of all of them, this is the car I've enjoyed the most bar none. I absolutely love this car, from the way it looks, the way it drives, the luxury inside, etc.

After 14 months and over 17,000 miles, I'm still in love with this car.

And by the way, when I was mad at my 2011, I test drove the A6 and A7, and as much as I wanted to "punish" BMW by purchasing something else, they didn't feel as luxurious or refined as the F10. Here's one little thing to compare: Look at the cheap hard plastic on the center console between the front seats. That would look and feel cheap on a Hyundai. Enough said.

#36 ·
Here's my point of view: I had a 2011 535, Sport, and pretty much fully loaded. I loved how the car looked, I bought it before doing a test drive because I bought one of the first ones ever produced. Custom ordered. And as much as I wanted to love the car, I didn't. There were many things that I didn't like, for example, as Needsdecaf said, it was always wallowing all over the road, had a tendency to veer to the right and it felt floaty. I was very disappointed. On top of that, the bluetooth was horrible (I spend nearly 2 hours on the car a day, most of the time on conference calls from and to work), so that was a BIG issue.

After struggling with it for a year, I was able to trade it in for another custom ordered 2012, this time M-Sport (with Dynamic Dampers), and also fully loaded with new goodies, like Combox (waaaay better bluetooth) and heads-up-display.

There is simply no comparison. I LOVE how this one drives. The power delivery is smooth and plentiful. The suspension does what you want it to do (Comfort+, Comfort, Sport, Sport+), drives straight like an arrow, and the sound quality of bluetooth is outstanding. Nobody knows I'm calling from my car.

I've had many, many brand new cars before (over 30 of them) including other BMW's, M-Benz, Porsche, Audi, Cadillac, Ford, Land Rover, Saab, etc. Lots of variety along the way. And of all of them, this is the car I've enjoyed the most bar none. I absolutely love this car, from the way it looks, the way it drives, the luxury inside, etc.

After 14 months and over 17,000 miles, I'm still in love with this car.

And by the way, when I was mad at my 2011, I test drove the A6 and A7, and as much as I wanted to "punish" BMW by purchasing something else, they didn't feel as luxurious or refined as the F10. Here's one little thing to compare: Look at the cheap hard plastic on the center console between the front seats. That would look and feel cheap on a Hyundai. Enough said.
Where BMW goofed is by seemingly delivering atrociously faulty initial-year F10's. Some of the issues with 2011's I'm reading about are horrifying and I'm saddened for the drivers of them.

I was so weary of the initial issues I didn't even want to consider an F10 until not 1 but 2 years were under its belt, i.e 2013's.

I've driven 2011, 2012, and 2013 M Sport F10 535i's. Now, granted these weren't back to back.

Upon learning that my 2013 M Sport is the first F10 year/combo to apparently have the new "all steel (no tech) M Sport Suspension" it made me think that perhaps my initial notion of "this feels a lot tighter and more connected than the previous F10's I've driven" wasn't all in my head :dunno: I'd love to know just what BMW intended to do differently with this suspension, but to me so far it seems like "make it sportier/tighter" was it.

#37 ·
Is this a fair comparison? The A7 should be compared to the 6 Gran Coupe - which just based on looks (and price) blows away the A7. I think Audi makes great cars, but not to the luxury level that BMW makes their cars. The interiors always seem to be plain me. Like the toyota camry of interiors. Upscale but plain.

ON a separate - Is there an uglier car in production than the A7? Its like they had extra materials and just kept adding to the back end. Just My opinion.

#41 · (Edited)
#52 ·
Honestly, I have never liked the Miura.

I, too, find the A7 droopy butt-ed. Also, I find the hatchback to be less than practical. It's not very big.

#42 ·
I bet it's much more likely they needed something to fill in the gap between the existing corporate siblings: Passat CC and the Panny. ;)

#43 · (Edited)
Wow, a lot of back and forth between people with strong opinions.

My original intent was not to be provoking but just to state my observation and comparison of two brands of vehicles.

Clearly, I overstepped my opinion about the F10 being the worst car ever. Clearly that is not true, but I am a very big fan of BMW's especially my last 5er (the E60) and therefore the bold statement which I humbly retract.

As I stated before I find this board and those on it to be above the norm and really appreciate the advice i received. I will stand on my belief that the current F10 is not a drivers car.

I am not married to the A7 either. It is a wonderful car. To say I lose credibility that I did not pan the seats is stupid. Nobody ever has said that the A7 seats are good, infact its one of the biggest complaints on the audi forums. I do not like them. But, as a rational person I also do not cum over the F10 seats knowing how good the E60 were before them.

As much as it hurts me and others, BMW really missed the mark on the new F10 for those that love the BMW driving feel, specifically those that are the ones that would spend time on these forums! However, obviously they have a hit, sales are great.

And for those that think the A7 is ugly, good for you. You have your opinion. It is not for everyone. Not that it matters but interestingly there is not a day, and I mean it, that I don't get a thumbs up from passing drivers or a nice car remark from people when my car is parked. I have never had that before, nor do I seek it, nor does it matter to me, just a fact.

My post was not to upset, pick fights, or be an A.. I can see how my comment about best car ever was inappropriate.

I really look forward to being back in a BMW (with side bolsters!).

#58 · (Edited)
Wow, a lot of back and forth between people with strong opinions.

My original intent was not to be provoking but just to state my observation and comparison of two brands of vehicles.

My post was not to upset, pick fights, or be an A.. I can see how my comment about best car ever was inappropriate.
Mike, I really enjoyed reading your honest thoughts and emotions with your valid comparison of the Audi and BMW. It is especially refreshing for me to read this here, on the F10 forum. It is inevitable in any forum for people to get defensive and aggressive with their opinions, especially when you talk about their car. I would rather people be honest with themselves and us, versus stroking the pride of the forum.

We all have different levels of experience, different preferences, and different reasons for buying this class of car. I actually love the styling of the A7. I also appreciate the dramatic rear of the A7, and even the factory optioned wheels (on a side note, I think Audi does the best job when it comes to the design and looks of their factory wheels). I do agree with MiamiB that the A7 is a fair comparison with the 6-series or better.

Many GREAT points have been discussed thus far. I really do believe that the 2011 F10s are different animals than the later year F10s. When I dropped off my vehicle for service and had a 2012 535i loaner, I was amazed at how much more fun it was to drive. It felt more competent in every way. I swore by the sport button, as many here scoffed and said it was in my head. I wish I had the opportunity to trade in my vehicle for a 2012; however, I actually bought this vehicle (not leased) and don't have the luxury to loose a lot of money on trading up.

The difference between me and most of you is that this is my first BMW. I have never owned a luxury car in this class and did not know what to expect. I have always been a car enthusiast and wrenched my beaters going through life and school. Upon ownership I loved the refinement and quality of the F10; however, I never felt the passion, performance and the "driver's car" character that I have always read BMW to have. All this is a mute a point as the wifey loves the ride and my 8 month old son sleeps peacefully in it. I feel very blessed to own this vehicle, and will probably drive it into 2020.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.