Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:41 AM

Mein Auto: 645 ci
Funny / embarrassing experience with my 6er

So among some other issues I was going to take the 6er in for a regular service. The break fluid needed to be flushed and she was due for an oil change.

One issue I was going to ask my SA about was an annoying audible signal that would sound whenever I would sound whenever I would drive for some distance. Four audible sounds had to be warning me of some impending service issue, right?

Thank God I remembered playing around with the idrive options the other day and I checked the 'hour memo' box. That would have been a little embarrassing with the SA.
Ads by Google
Old 12-19-2012, 01:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
You can perform the flush yourself! I learnt this from my mechanic who has over 25 years of experience with BMW's. He recommended using a turkey baster to suck the fluid out of the brake fluid reservoir and basically refill with the BMW brake fluid. He mentioned that a proper flush should only be needed when you are changing your pad and rotors. I ended doing this process twice so that i could use the entire bottle of brake fluid.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanra View Post
You can perform the flush yourself! I learnt this from my mechanic who has over 25 years of experience with BMW's. He recommended using a turkey baster to suck the fluid out of the brake fluid reservoir and basically refill with the BMW brake fluid. He mentioned that a proper flush should only be needed when you are changing your pad and rotors. I ended doing this process twice so that i could use the entire bottle of brake fluid.
I did mine also but I was afraid about getting fluid everywhere so I used a drill pump from home depot and some fittings and some clear hose. Total cost about $20 in parts. I did it 2 times over 2 weeks to let it circulate. Total time 15 minutes ea.
Make sure you use the right fluid!

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Old 12-19-2012, 10:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645ci
So what is the correct and best way to change the brake fluid? My service due light is on so prefer doing it myself if its not too hard. Dealer wants $180-200 for the service.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:10 AM

Mein Auto: '07 650i
I suck as much fluid out as possible out with a baster. Then fill it up as much as possible. Then (in this order, RR LR RF LF) bleed the break lines. You want to start with the break furthest from the master cylinder and get closer.

To bleed the lines just get a short piece of plastic tubing and a wrench. Loosen the bleeding valve at each tire (one at a time), place the tubing over the bleeder valve to direct your old fluid into a waste pan and have a friend pump the brakes (slow and deliberate to the floor). Keep filling reservoir so that you don't allow any air into the system. When the fluid coming out of the open bleeder valve turns clean, tighten that one up and move on to the next. When all four lines have clean fluid running from them and have been tightened, you are finished. Make sure your level is correct in the reservoir and go have a beer.

BTW - I think I did it without lifting the car on the 6er. Very easy DIY and I think it cost about $30 for fluid.
HUD, Comfort Access

Last edited by Mulchman; 12-20-2012 at 04:13 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:04 PM

Hate to bring up an old thread. So i decided to try the turkey blaster but couldnt even find the brake fluid resevoir. Where is it located on a 645ci?
Old 01-15-2013, 01:31 PM

Mein Auto: '07 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipertec View Post
Hate to bring up an old thread. So i decided to try the turkey blaster but couldnt even find the brake fluid resevoir. Where is it located on a 645ci?
Under the micro filter right in front of the drivers side wiper.
HUD, Comfort Access

Old 01-15-2013, 04:02 PM

Mein Auto: 630i, 525i, 320iC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulchman View Post
Under the micro filter right in front of the drivers side wiper.
You make it sound like it is easy to get to!

In my e36 the brake fluid is just there, visible for all to see.

In my e39 the resevoir is underneath the microfilter housing on the driver's side. A quick release spring clip & two plastic latches. Not visible but OK to get to.

In my e63 it is buried under more clips & plastic panels, nothing difficult but BMW are making it progressively more irritating to get to!
Old 01-16-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel.ranter View Post
You make it sound like it is easy to get to!

In my e36 the brake fluid is just there, visible for all to see.

In my e39 the resevoir is underneath the microfilter housing on the driver's side. A quick release spring clip & two plastic latches. Not visible but OK to get to.

In my e63 it is buried under more clips & plastic panels, nothing difficult but BMW are making it progressively more irritating to get to!
thanks...ill take a look this weekend. so i have to remove the Micro Filter housing to get to the brake fluid? Does anyone have a DIY for this?
Old 01-16-2013, 01:30 PM
Michael

Mein Auto: Black Sapphire BMW Z4 3L
To flush and change the fluid I use a device that maintains pressure in the system, by using the air from a spare tyre, you feed in new fluid and then go round each wheel and bleed, no need to press brakes or have another person assist, very very easy!! just make sure that the fill bottle does not run out as naturally you induce air into the system, buy them from any car accessory supplier!!!!! not expensive!!!!

Does my bum look good in this !
Old 01-16-2013, 03:42 PM

Mein Auto: 630i, 525i, 320iC
Here's some photos of the gadget I use to bleed the brakes. It's a Sealey pressurized brake bleeder kit. There is a pump unit built in to the unit. It works really well.

Connector on to brake fluid resevoir:

Unit up close:

Obviously for left hand drive cars the resevoir is on the other side!
Old 01-16-2013, 08:28 PM
Woo Hoo FREE Donuts

Mein Auto: 2004 645Ci Convertible
Looks too expensive.....must find cheaper alternative.

LOL....Just kidding. Any info on where I might get one of these gadgets.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:44 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
The Motive pressure brake bleeder is the most popular on this side of the pond and goes for about $50. Many places stock this.

I made my own with an Assenmacher TA18 reservoir cap, a pressure regulator (set to 20psi) and some fittings to connect it to my compressor. Here are two $20 DIY bleeders similar to the Motive unit. DIY 1. DIY 2.

Here is a pic of mine:
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater