Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 650i Convertible
Full Magnaflow Install

I had the opportunity to buy a used, full Magnaflow system which I had installed yesterday.
As I mentioned in a different post, I was planning to do the resonater delete, but the price of the used system was too attractive.

Frankly, I was surprised at how loud it was. Maybe because I was used to hearing no exhaust noise at all! But, I did find myself muting the radio so that I could listen to the sound.

Test will be Monday when I do my 50 mile commute. No droning and I hope my MPG will go up, although if I keep putting my foot in it to hear the exhaust note, it will probably go down!
Ads by Google
Old 01-12-2013, 10:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650 vert
Did you leave the resonators or delete?
Please post a video so we can hear it.

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, premium sound, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with non-RFT super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, 5W bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for the family - no mod's
Old 01-12-2013, 11:10 AM

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI
Why would your mileage go up? Not being a smart a$$, just trying to understand the reasoning.
I have a Dinan S1 package on one of my MINI's which includes the exhaust. Sounds fantastic and a blast to drive, but the mileage did not go up as a result.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:20 AM

Mein Auto: 650 Vert
gregb, if your referencing OEM resonators, the Magnaflow system is a Cat-Back System so it deletes the resonators, but it has it own funky resonator in the middle of the system. LOL Bottomline is anything is going to be louder than the stock system.

Shtaka: please post some drive by sound clips, I am looking forward to them
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16560.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	357286  
2004 645Ci vert Triple Black | Sport Package| Every Option | Gone
1995 Ferrari 348 Spider Triple Black | 18 Speedlines | Tubi Exhaust | Gone
1987 Porsche 930 Slant Nose- Triple Black | Ruf wheels & Exhaust | Gone

Last edited by GForza; 01-12-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:36 PM

Mein Auto: 650i Convertible
Yes, it is a whole catback system.

My logic, probably flawed, is that a less restrictive exhaust will make the engine run more efficiently. Magnaflow says 9 hp gain. I figure maybe 10 with my K&N and rippingt out the charcoal filter. I can't really measure that, but I can measure MPG which is another relative indicator of engine efficiency. I always make mental notes of my approximate MPG. When I see a change, I know something's out of whack, but I try and keep up to date on maintenance, so when it has happened, not on this car, it was due to low tire pressure.

I'll try and record something. I only hear from the inside of the car and it's really not intrusive, so I'm curious what it sounds like from the outside.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:51 PM
06 BMW 650i Sprt/Prem Pkg

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 650i e64
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoinSF View Post
Why would your mileage go up? Not being a smart a$$, just trying to understand the reasoning.
I have a Dinan S1 package on one of my MINI's which includes the exhaust. Sounds fantastic and a blast to drive, but the mileage did not go up as a result.
Cat-back refers to the portion of the exhaust system from the outlet of the catalytic converter to the final vent to open air. This generally includes the pipe from the converter to the muffler, the muffler, and the final length of pipe to open air.
Cat-back exhaust systems generally use larger diameter pipe than the stock system. Good systems will allow the exhaust gases to exit with as little back pressure as possible (meaning less turns in the pipping). The mufflers included in these kits are often glasspacks. That being said, the less back pressure will help the engine run with less effort and improve gas millage and increase horsepower.
Also you need to be a little careful with exhaust systems. Some engines are designed to have a certain amount of back pressure to run at peek performance (performance being the word here). So a tuned exhaust is the way to go.

2006 BMW 650i Sport/Premium Package
+ Various Mods & Upgrades

Last edited by coug60; 01-13-2013 at 03:56 PM.