Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650 vert
BMW Six Series one of slowest selling new cars in April...

Here's the list of the top ten slowest selling cars for the month of April, based on average number of days sitting for sale on the dealers' lots.

The 10 slowest selling car in April:

2014 BMW 640i xDrive coupe: 205 days
2014 Mercedes-Benz E400 Hybrid: 179 days
2014 Jaguar F-Type convertible: 157 days
2014 Infiniti Q60 coupe: 157 days
2014 BMW M6 convertible: 143 days
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander: 141 days
2014 Jaguar F-Type S convertible: 140 days
2014 Acura RLX: 135 days
2014 BMW 650i xDrive Gran Coupe: 133 days
2014 Mini Paceman: 129 days

The six series has never been a volume seller, which has been nice from an exclusivity/rarity standpoint. Three six series are on the top ten slow-seller list... methinks there will be more incentives...

A little surprised by the F-Type vert and new RLX as I think those models have only been out for a year or so.

Source - TTAC.com
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...w/#more-818738

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)
Ads by Google
Old 05-15-2014, 02:50 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Very surprised the F-Type is on the top 10 list, everyone I've talked to absolutely loves it. Maybe buyers are going for the Aston or the XK instead? I think the F-Type will likely be on my short-list when the time comes to shop for a 6er replacement.

The 6 series has always been BMW's lowest volume car followed by the Z4. They sell about 8K 6er convertibles vs 15K Z4s.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 05-15-2014, 03:01 PM

Mein Auto: 750Li
They changed the name of the G37 to Q60?
Old 05-15-2014, 04:27 PM

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI
The current model has not exactly been a darling of the auto media; I think it's lost every comparo I can recall and I would bet people spending that kind of dough want a car they can brag about, not the one that was ranked last. On top of that the styling is nice, but does not stand out. Plus BMW has really gone wild with the pricing IMO.

I'm sure the E63/4 was also on the slow seller list, but with the love it or hate it styling and the halo of the V10 in the M6, I would think they were moving at a faster pace at this stage of the model's life cycle.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 05-15-2014, 04:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Perhaps one issue is the fact that they went from four models (coupe and convertible 650/M6) to seven, the 640/650/gran coupe/M6. I notice the normal 650 coupe and convertible aren't on there.

So the three on the list are the Gran Coupe, which I predicted early on that people would see through and just buy a 5 or 7. The M6 convertible, the most expensive variant in the entire line. And the 640, the "scaled down motor" of the group.

I don't know if this can be chalked up to failure until you take into account all the F06/F12/F13 models. Some are on the slow list and some aren't. I would love to see the BMW 2013 sales figures broken down by model and first quarter 2014.

Last edited by tampamark; 05-15-2014 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampamark View Post
Perhaps one issue is the fact that they went from four models (coupe and convertible 650/M6) to seven, the 640/650/gran coupe/M6. I notice the normal 650 coupe and convertible aren't on there.

So the three on the list are the Gran Coupe, which I predicted early on that people would see through and just buy a 5 or 7. The M6 convertible, the most expensive variant in the entire line. And the 640, the "scaled down motor" of the group.

I don't know if this can be chalked up to failure until you take into account all the F06/F12/F13 models. Some are on the slow list and some aren't. I would love to see the BMW 2013 sales figures broken down by model and first quarter 2014.
+1 Mark, I agree with your views... maybe this has more to do with BMW's strategy of trying to fill every single "niche" with a different model car, as it is bound to cause some slow sellers. Could be merely a mismatch of sales forecasts and over-production.

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)
Old 05-16-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorgi View Post
Very surprised the F-Type is on the top 10 list, everyone I've talked to absolutely loves it. Maybe buyers are going for the Aston or the XK instead? I think the F-Type will likely be on my short-list when the time comes to shop for a 6er replacement.

The 6 series has always been BMW's lowest volume car followed by the Z4. They sell about 8K 6er convertibles vs 15K Z4s.
Rick - Maybe you will be able to find a good deal on the F-Type if it continues to sell slowly...

Old 05-16-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J750 View Post
They changed the name of the G37 to Q60?
Yep - Infiniti announced the decision to change their naming conventions to Q and QX about a year ago, effective with 2014 models.

The G37 sedan was replaced with an "all-new" Q50 and the 637 coupe and verts became the Q60 for 2014... doesn't make much sense to me either...

Old 05-16-2014, 02:56 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregb View Post
Rick - Maybe you will be able to find a good deal on the F-Type if it continues to sell slowly...
Greg, that is exactly what I was thinking what I saw the F-Type on this list. I predict resale prices will drop like a rock.

Quote:
.... I would love to see the BMW 2013 sales figures broken down by model and first quarter 2014.
I have this info. I'm creating a spreadsheet with data for 2000 to Q1 2014 - should be ready by tomorrow.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Last edited by Yorgi; 05-16-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:03 PM
BMW Snow Plow User

Mein Auto: 330ci Convertible 2004
BMW can just drop the 6-cylinder 6-series. I mean what do they expect, that somebody pays that much more than for a pretty much identical 5-series and then gets the smallest engine? To make the money back in gas?

It doesn't surprise me at all that the 650 sells almost 2x faster.

The Churchill in me cannot help noticing, though, that this specifically says "xDrive". Do the RWD models sell as slow? Of course we don't know due to the highly selective data.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:10 PM
BMW Snow Plow User

Mein Auto: 330ci Convertible 2004
Looking at it the comments are correct. The breakup to be overly specific makes BMW look artificially bad. The manufacturers with less different models have all of them meshed together. For the specific car of a 6-series, coupe but non-GC, the small engine, with xdrive for all we know that could be a single lot queen in bomfsck, oklabama that doesn't sell because a Raccoon died in there, or maybe the dealer forgot it is there because somebody ran MS windows on the inventory computer.

This data needs to be aggregated so that each (aggregated) model reaches a reasonable sample size (or it not the size should be marked) or at the very least aggregated so that BMW has about the same number of models as Japanese companies.

Also, what's with the SUV rush?

ETA: apparently the Audi A3 gets a composite report, why is the 6-series not split up at most into convertible and non-convertibles?

Last edited by Squiddie; 05-16-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:10 PM
BMWCCA member

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 6 series
Quote:

Other than the M6 Convertible both the 640 with "scaled down motor" AND the 650 Gran Coupe listed are both X Drives.