Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:05 PM

Mein Auto: bmw
i updated to 48.3 for my f10. did the usual changes and boom, my speedo has died on me. i get an idrive error message saying the that speedo needs a software update and another idrive error message that says that the configuration is incorrect.

the speedo currently shows the speed but everything else is dead. so is the HUD... and my service intervals have been resetted too..

i had the latest sw update from bmw (november 2012 on a 2012 build) so i had to update to 48.3.. 47.5 was not working for me anymore...

if i read the coding data for kombi, there are no cafd files there i can change.... very strange.. i guess it has something to do with the the speedo crashing..

i have tried to use tool32 to read the fault codes in teh memory. when i try to load f01.prg, the program just hangs there for minutes... so that route did not help me further..

i am giving the car a good long good-night sleep, hoping that things get resetted at night.

will post tomorrow morning if it works or wehter i took the car back to the garage.

Last edited by rs84107; 01-20-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:52 PM
The Coder guy in N.Y

What did you do? THis looks to be your first time coding right so I think you probably FUBAR something during the coding process..

Last edited by cn555ic; 01-20-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs84107 View Post
i updated to 48.3 for my f10. did the usual changes and boom, my speedo has died on me. i get an idrive error message saying the that speedo needs a software update and another idrive error message that says that the configuration is incorrect.

the speedo currently shows the speed but everything else is dead. so is the HUD... and my service intervals have been resetted too..

i had the latest sw update from bmw (november 2012 on a 2012 build) so i had to update to 48.3.. 47.5 was not working for me anymore...

if i read the coding data for kombi, there are no cafd files there i can change.... very strange.. i guess it has something to do with the the speedo crashing..

i have tried to use tool32 to read the fault codes in teh memory. when i try to load f01.prg, the program just hangs there for minutes... so that route did not help me further..

i am giving the car a good long good-night sleep, hoping that things get resetted at night.

will post tomorrow morning if it works or wehter i took the car back to the garage.
You need to add the CAFD back to KOMBI and VO Code the ECU:

Connect => Read FA => Activate FA => Read VCM => Left-Click on KOMBI => Click on "Detect CAF for SWE" => Select the CAFD matching your I-Level => Select OK => Right-Click on KOKBI (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) => Select CODE.

To determine your I-Level, go to VCM Module => VCM Master Tab => click Read under I-Steps. The I-Step (current) is the one you want to match when you select the CAFD from the "Detect CAF for SWE" options (e.g. F001-08-09-550).

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 01-21-2013, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
What did you do? THis looks to be your first time coding right so I think you probably FUBAR something during the coding process..
nope, not my first time. have coded in the past (for myself and others) but this is the first time i have encountered some issues. Had to code my car again because i got a software update earlier in november.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
You need to add the CAFD back to KOMBI and VO Code the ECU:

Connect => Read FA => Activate FA => Read VCM => Left-Click on KOMBI => Click on "Detect CAF for SWE" => Select the CAFD matching your I-Level => Select OK => Right-Click on KOKBI (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) => Select CODE.

To determine your I-Level, go to VCM Module => VCM Master Tab => click Read under I-Steps. The I-Step (current) is the one you want to match when you select the CAFD from the "Detect CAF for SWE" options (e.g. F001-08-09-550).
thanks for your help.

the I-Level: is that the Fxxx-12-11-505? this is what i see at the bottom right of e-sys when i am connected to the car?
Old 01-21-2013, 12:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 520dA F11
Quote:
nope, not my first time. have coded in the past (for myself and others) but this is the first time i have encountered some issues. Had to code my car again because i got a software update earlier in november.

thanks for your help.

the I-Level: is that the Fxxx-12-11-505? this is what i see at the bottom right of e-sys when i am connected to the car?
Yes, correct, that's the I-Level = Integration Level

Andy
Old 01-21-2013, 01:18 AM

Quote:

thanks for your help.

The I-Level in the bottom right is the PSdZData version.

The car I-level must be read from car VCM.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 01-21-2013, 01:47 AM

Mein Auto: F07
Hi Shawn,

may I ask for sending me 48.3 link please?

thx
Old 01-21-2013, 04:41 AM

@Shawn - perfect instructions. Thank you. I have a speedo/hud (and service intervals) that are working again!!

really appreciate your help!!!

thanks
Old 01-21-2013, 07:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i
Setup: I have E-Sys 3.22.5 with the latest patch and my own paid for token and using them on MY2012 335i F30 with the latest iLevel and 48.3 Data Files.

Successfully coded:
- turned off orange side markers
- turned on rear DRL
- M Performance logo
- Unlock all doors at engine off
- digital speed in the BC
- Turned off all disclaimers
- DVD in motion
- Weatherband radio
- Fog lights come on at unlock with welcome lights
- Trip import for navigation
- 2nd handsfree phone connect to bluetooth
- Auto-Stop-Start remembers last setting

Tried but confused:
- I did a VO coding of the FA to change 6NH to 6NK hoping that would give me Microsoft Office functions and white apple USB cable for my iPhone 5 etc. I don't see anything different in the menus and the white apple cable doesn't seem to work when connected to either of the 2 usb ports in the car (it charges only, no music, album art etc.) What would I notice as being different in the menus to confirm this change worked?

- I also noticed today that it is -7.5 degrees Celsius outside and the Auto-Stop-Start is still shutting the car off at lights. I find that unusual as it's freezing outside and in the past I can't recall car shutting off when outside temperature was below 0 degrees Celsius. Am I just being paranoid?

Problem:
- Coding was done yesterday and I drove the car for the first time today and got a check engine light that won't seem to go away. Any suggestions as to why that check engine light would be on based on the coding I did above?
- How do I check what the check engine light is on for? Where can I see the code that it is giving?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Last edited by RASHID007; 01-21-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:01 AM

Sounds great, good to read that your token/patch is working as expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RASHID007 View Post
Setup: I have E-Sys 3.22.5 with the latest patch and my own paid for token and using them on MY2012 335i F30 with the latest iLevel and 48.3 Data Files.

Successfully coded:
- turned on rear DRL
- M Performance logo
- DVD in motion
- Weatherband radio
Old 01-21-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akiss View Post
Sounds great, good to read that your token/patch is working as expected
Absolutely, thanks again for the patch and token.

Just have no clue why I have a check engine light and why the change of 6NH to 6NK didn't seem to do anything. Any suggestions?
Old 01-21-2013, 08:39 AM

Mein Auto: 535xi,328xiC
Quote:
If you are coming from 48.2 and coding only F10, I do not think you need to update at all.

For F20 / F30, the Integration Level changed from F020-12-11-504 to F020-12-11-505, so an upgrade is likely needed if the car has 48.3 on it, and based on a failed attempt to inject the 48.3 FEM_BODY CAFD, into 48.2 PSdZData, it looks like the full PSdZData will be needed.

The files are not uploaded yet.
Pardon my ingorance Shawn, but if a car has been updated by the dealer to say something newer than 48.2, (say an F10) do we need new PSdZData? What exactly does the PSdZdata do in the scheme of things? Esys is the enabling software to make codiing changes right?
Old 01-21-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterC4 View Post
Pardon my ingorance Shawn, but if a car has been updated by the dealer to say something newer than 48.2, (say an F10) do we need new PSdZData? What exactly does the PSdZdata do in the scheme of things? Esys is the enabling software to make codiing changes right?
E-Sys is "just" the software for doing the coding and flashing and PSdZData hold all the software and configuration settings to actually do the coding.

If your car has a newer coding level (I-level) than your files are, you can't set all the (new) settings right as your data don't know what is stored in which location within an ECU.

Andy
Old 01-21-2013, 09:09 AM

Mein Auto: 535xi,328xiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by akiss View Post
E-Sys is "just" the software for doing the coding and flashing and PSdZData hold all the software and configuration settings to actually do the coding.

If your car has a newer coding level (I-level) than your files are, you can't set all the (new) settings right as your data don't know what is stored in which location within an ECU.

Andy
Okay, so the PSdZDATA is referance data that needs to match what is in the car to adjust various functions? The PSdZDATA files I have are 47.5, so they may be out of date. I will have to check when I get my car back. They have been coding the thing for over a day! Mind you they are checking on getting me a tire replaced under warranty.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad2k View Post
Hi Shawn,

may I ask for sending me 48.3 link please?

thx
PM sent.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
@Shawn - perfect instructions. Thank you. I have a speedo/hud (and service intervals) that are working again!!

really appreciate your help!!!

thanks

Old 01-21-2013, 09:37 AM

Shawn/Andy,

Any idea why the check engine light would be on after a coding session as detailed below? Or how do I check using E-Sys what the check engine light is on for?

Quote:

Successfully coded:
- turned on rear DRL
- M Performance logo
- DVD in motion
- Weatherband radio

Tried but confused:
- I did a VO coding of the FA to change 6NH to 6NK hoping that would give me Microsoft Office functions and white apple USB cable for my iPhone 5 etc. I don't see anything different in the menus and the white apple cable doesn't seem to work when connected to either of the 2 usb ports in the car (it charges only, no music, album art etc.)

- I also noticed today that it is -7.5 degrees Celsius outside and the Auto-Stop-Start is still shutting the car off at lights. I find that unusual as it's freezing outside and in the past I can't recall car shutting off when outside temperature was below 0 degrees Celsius. Am I just being paranoid?

Problem:
- Coding was done yesterday and I drove the car for the first time today and got a check engine light that won't seem to go away. Any suggestions as to why that check engine light would be on based on the coding I did above?
- How do I check what the check engine light is on for? Where can I see the code that it is giving?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterC4 View Post
Okay, so the PSdZDATA is referance data that needs to match what is in the car to adjust various functions? The PSdZDATA files I have are 47.5, so they may be out of date. I will have to check when I get my car back. They have been coding the thing for over a day! Mind you they are checking on getting me a tire replaced under warranty.
It does not need to match, but generally speaking the PSdZData version needs to be >= the last ISTA/P version used to program the car.

In some cases you can get away with using an older PSdZData version if none of the ECU's on your specific chassis / vehicle options received an update in the newer ISTA/P version on the car compared to the PSdZData version you are using.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Shawn/Andy,

Any idea why the check engine light would be on after a coding session as detailed below? Or how do I check using E-Sys what the check engine light is on for?
I have only seen this after altering your VO and coding the DME Module.

I have no way of knowing what the specific fault code means, but you can try clearing it with Tool32 as follows:

Assuming the fault condition no longer exists, to clear the fault code.

1) Launch C:\EDIABAS\Bin\TOOL32.EXE
2) Hit F3
3) Load C:\EDIABAS\Ecu\F01.PRG
4) In the "Select Job: F01" window, select FS_LOESCHEN_FUNKTIONAL
5) Hit F5
6) "Results" window should show "JOB_STATUS = OKAY"

Hopefully, Problem Solved.

Note: fs_lesen_funktional only read fault codes, FS_LOESCHEN_FUNKTIONAL will delete it.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:16 AM

Excellent, thank you. I will try this when I get home. I definitely altered the VO from 6NH to 6NK but I didn't code DME.

I will try your suggested clearing and if that doesn't work could I change back from 6NK to 6NH and maybe that will reverse whatever is causing the check engine light to be on?

To be clear...do I follow the instructions below with E-Sys closed and just the car having given the laptop an IP address? Or do I have E-Sys open for some reason?

Quote:
I have only seen this after altering your VO and coding the DME Module.

I have no way of knowing what the specific fault code means, but you can try clearing it with Tool32 as follows:

Assuming the fault condition no longer exists, to clear the fault code.

1) Launch C:\EDIABAS\Bin\TOOL32.EXE
2) Hit F3
3) Load C:\EDIABAS\Ecu\F01.PRG
4) In the "Select Job: F01" window, select FS_LOESCHEN_FUNKTIONAL
5) Hit F5
6) "Results" window should show "JOB_STATUS = OKAY"

Hopefully, Problem Solved.

Note: fs_lesen_funktional only read fault codes, FS_LOESCHEN_FUNKTIONAL will delete it.

Last edited by RASHID007; 01-21-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:30 AM
The Coder guy in N.Y

Out of all the F series cars that I coded this check engine light appeared only once...Have no idea what it was but after a day the check engine light cleared on its own...I was puzzled to why it appeared in the first place, but in my case I did not even mess with the VO coding...Either way like I said it cleared itself after a day from what the person told me that I coded the car for.

Last edited by cn555ic; 01-21-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
Out of all the F series cars that I coded this check engine light appeared only once...Have no idea what it was but after a day the check engine light cleared on its own...I was puzzled to why it appeared in the first place, but in my case I did not even mess with the VO coding...Either way like I said it cleared itself after a day from what the person told me that I coded the car for.
Excellent thank you for that info. I am going to give it a day then try Shawn's suggested clearing and report back for the community.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:09 PM

Mein Auto: F10
Quote:
To be clear...do I follow the instructions below with E-Sys closed and just the car having given the laptop an IP address? Or do I have E-Sys open for some reason?
Toolset32 and E-Sys don't like to run at the same time. Normally E-Sys will close if you open toolset32. You should still run ZGWSearch to make sure you have a connection to the car before running toolset32 to clear error codes.

Sean
Old 01-21-2013, 06:55 PM

Ok all, complete success thank you.

1. shawnsheridan's instructions above cleared the check engine light. Thank you!

2. I had made a mistake in programming 6NH to 6NK. Edited the FA (VO) by replacing 6NH to 6NK but did not 'Code' the VO for the Head Unit (HU_CIC or HU_NBT) to finalize it. Instructions from shawnsheridan here: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showpo...postcount=1729

Now white Apple cable works, album art work, bluetooth audio etc.

Very happy and appreciative. Happy to try and answer questions and help others.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:10 PM
The Coder guy in N.Y

Nice!