Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 04-26-2014, 12:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3 sport
08 X3 - Left Turn Signal and high beams stuck on

2008 X3 3.0si.
So driving along and the left turn signal and high beams flash on randomly. The guy ahead of me is wondering what the hell is going on and so am I. I pull over and shut the car down, restart and now the left turn signal and high beams are stuck on.

Limp home, search the web and come across this link.
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...linker-problem

Jack up the car, disconnect the front level sensor, start the car and everything is back to normal. There is no way in hell I would have thought when the front level sensor fails it shorts out the LCM and causes the left turn signal and highbeams to stick in the on position. I secured the level connector out of the way and will pick up a new level sensor Monday morning. For the curious I'll be dissecting the old one and will post pics
Advertisement
Old 04-26-2014, 05:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
So what does this level sensor do, in normal conditions? Is it to keep the headlights automatically level?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-26-2014, 05:53 PM

Mein Auto: '08 X3, '08 535xiT (gone)
What an unbelievable lousy design that is, where the failure mode of a level sensor is for the lights to go haywire.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3/E83
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdc8118 View Post
2008 X3 3.0si.
So driving along and the left turn signal and high beams flash on randomly. The guy ahead of me is wondering what the hell is going on and so am I. I pull over and shut the car down, restart and now the left turn signal and high beams are stuck on.

Limp home, search the web and come across this link.
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...linker-problem

Jack up the car, disconnect the front level sensor, start the car and everything is back to normal. There is no way in hell I would have thought when the front level sensor fails it shorts out the LCM and causes the left turn signal and highbeams to stick in the on position. I secured the level connector out of the way and will pick up a new level sensor Monday morning. For the curious I'll be dissecting the old one and will post pics
I have been looking for this simple fix for a while; until I can get my 07 in the shop. Thanks!
Old 04-27-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangermouseX3 View Post
So what does this level sensor do, in normal conditions? Is it to keep the headlights automatically level?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Exactly.

I believe the sensors (2) work in conjunction over bumpy roads and inclines.
There is a sensor in the rear as well, both on passenger side of the vehicle. Under heavy load in the rear, it will also lower the aim height to avoid blinding people with your bright xenons.

I've unplugged my front sensor for now. I did it with the wheel cranked left and covered the sensor and connector with plastic to avoid any water issues until it gets in the shop. I will unplug the rear if the problem continues.

I have a video of mine malfunctioning. While my X3 was parked on level ground, the sensor wouldn't stop trying to adjust. This was just after a brief period as OP described above. Normally, when you first turn on your lights, they do an up/down system check. In this video, they don't stop:

Old 04-27-2014, 01:02 PM

So is this level sensor only for cars with xenons or do they all have it?
Old 04-28-2014, 01:33 AM

I'm pretty certain it is only for Xenon lights. Halogens aren't as blinding perhaps?
Old 12-27-2014, 11:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X3
Why does it keep breaking

This is the second time I am replacing the sensor why does it keep breaking?
Old 12-27-2014, 10:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i / 2007 X3
Its true, this happened to our car when it got really cold, the sensor went bust. People got out of our way thinking we were a police car.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:14 AM
Freshly Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwvwvw View Post
What an unbelievable lousy design that is, where the failure mode of a level sensor is for the lights to go haywire.
Jeep does the same thing, when the battery temperature sensor dies it will actually stall the car as it shorts out the whole ECM.

All car makers are amateurs at systems design a shorting out of a sensor should not take down the whole system.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 Si 3.0
This happened to me a couple weeks ago.
Its the height Level sensor.

You can temporarily deactivate it by unplugging it. I think it will be behind the Passanger tire side.
I drive x3 2007 si

Its like a cheap electrical unit with an arm that goes up and down on my car. I thought it was such a lazy design.
Especially to have something like that as an electrical unit so like any drop of water shorts it.