Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 01-12-2013, 06:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 530i
Frustrated...

I recently purchased a used 2006 530i from a small dealership. We discovered an oil leak before signing all the paperwork and the dealers agreed to fix the engine leak. When I went to the mechanic to pick up the car, he informed me that they fixed the obvious leak but the oil pan gasket needed to be replaced as well. The dealer told them not to fix it. I called the dealer out on it and they signed a new contract stating they would replace the oil pan gasket. I picked the car up today after much frustration and just over dealing with these guys. I looked over the car but I'm a girl and 8 months pregnant so just to the point of tears from trying to get this all worked out. The computer shows the oil at only half full and when I dropped it off it was just under full. Is there something that I need reset? They were not happy about having to do the repairs and wouldn't give me receipts of the work but said I could take it to any mechanic and they could see the work was done. About30 minutes after leaving the dealer, I punched the gas to pass a slow driver and the transmission fault came on the computer. Now I'm really ready to cry. I turned the car off and restarted it and it was fine the rest of the trip. Does that mean I have transmission problems?? I love the way the car drives and the interior and exterior are in mint condition. After driving a BMW I don't want anything else! I'm just worried about the repair costs. Any feedback will help. Thank you Amy
Ads by Google
Old 01-12-2013, 06:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A Car
The oil level sensors in these cars varies a lot. Keep driving it for a couple days/weeks and pay attention to the oil level to see if it needs oil. Even if it shows half full it only means you are down about .5QTS since the Oil Level sensor ONLY calculates the last QT of oil NOT the full capacity of the engine.

Regarding the transmission you could either keep driving it and see if the error shows up again or you can take it right away to a reputable indy to check the codes and see what's going on.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35i
The oil leak is a small problem. Usually bad hose or gasket which can be replaced at a reasonable $$. Transmission on the other hand is a complicated problem that will be in the thousands. Sadly to say, walk away if you can. Don't let the excitement overcome the problem. You will realized it in a few days when your joy wears down. Plenty of others around.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 530XI
You should have a 30 day grace period. With what you have been through so far I'd say take it back. As been stated there are plenty of others around. Good luck!
Old 01-13-2013, 06:07 AM

Mein Auto: '06 530i, '07 C280, ML320
If I were you, I'd take it back and put it in writing that trans problem was observed. If that trans problem reoccurs, you have a record to prove.

Prior to buying the car, did you have an independent mechanic do pre-purchase-inspection? When you observed trans fault, diagnostic code may have been set; BMW diagnostic code reader can retrieve that code. That code can reveal more about what the error was.

Last edited by pcy; 01-13-2013 at 06:14 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:23 AM
Gap Filler for a M6 GC?!?

Mein Auto: '10 550i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcr3d View Post
You should have a 30 day grace period. With what you have been through so far I'd say take it back. As been stated there are plenty of others around. Good luck!
+1 if your state laws and/or contract allow it.

I'd find a better dealership then and make sure you have a pre inspection done prior to purchase.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 530i
I'm taking it back to the mechanic who was honest with me about the leak. Very reputable and trustworthy import repair shop so hopefully what ever damage the dealer's mechanic did will be obvious. I've looked through all my paperwork and I don't see anywhere that I have 30 days but they did default in the time they were supposed to finish the work and they didn't repair the leak (or they caused a new one when replacing the oil pan gasket). Depending on what the mechanic finds, I'll have to go from there. I've already cried over it and that didn't fix a thing! Small claims would be my next step. I could always drive my car through their building and claim it was pregnancy hormones

Thank you for all of your suggestions! I'll keep you posted.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 535i
Sorry to say, most used car sales, even in small claims court are "as is" unless you get a written warranty. I wish you the best.