Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-12-2013, 02:04 PM
Driver

Mein Auto: 2009 328i 6sp MT Sport
Wink Dealer has scared me...

Hi all,

Yes...this is another tire question coming but from a slightly different angle. My 2009 328i w/sport suspension is going to need tires in the next few months. I am in central Kentucky and typically only drive the car in fair weather.

All that said, the dealers I have had service done at in both Ohio and Kentucky have done a solid job of convincing me that no one but a BMW dealer can install correct tires and perform a proper alignment without doing irreparable damage. I'm sure this is BS and would love to save some cash.

Does anyone know of a non-dealer tire source who could do the right thing the right way in Lexington KY area? My plan is to dump the RFTs and carry a flat kit.

Bottom line - another dumb tire question but specific to the Lexington area (which makes it special). Thanks all.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
I did tirerack and it was awesome except... my installer (one of tire racks approved top installers) apparently stuck the toe/camber all the way out, and I had to get my baby realigned. So I wound up only saving 200 bucks instead of the 400 I had planed on (also got a rf balance).

Tires run great, you can get them installed elsewhere just know if you don't do your research [Personally I feel like I did], you might need to go back if they don't do it right. My dealer told me I could ship tirerack tires to them and they'd mount it. So I'll probably do that.

***ALSO google search some of the e90, exc. sites and maybe you'll get the name of a good tire installer in your area that other members have used. Also maybe PM a member who might be in your area, they might have some tips.

GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by SuperTerp; 01-12-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:05 PM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
For tires they are FOS. For the alignment dealers seem best as BMWs can apparently be a PITA to align properly.

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video:
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 01-12-2013, 03:29 PM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
Agree unless you get an Indy BMW shop its best to take it to the dealer after you get your Tire Rack tires installed by a recommended installer. My installer is also a BMW only Indy shop so they can do both ends of the job if necessary

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport MPPK/MPE
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV Build Thread
Cobra Coyote First Start.
PAST:
Very, Very Long List
Old 01-12-2013, 03:48 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
Discount tire has done a fine job as has recommended Tire Rack shops for tire install.
Dealer is the best place for alignment but why do you need alignment?
If your tires are wearing correctly, slight negative camber meaning wearing a little faster on the inside than out you don't need it.
Tires I would recommend in your area are Pilot Sports A/S (Michelin) and you should get 40K miles out of them...
Old 01-12-2013, 03:53 PM

Mein Auto: E36 323 Msport, & E30 M3
Hi,
If the old tyres don't show any adverse wear pattern I would strongly recommend to not do the alignment just put tyres on and of you go, alot of the time it is recommended to the owner and it is a line of BS aimed at getting more cash from the owner.

"It is critical to the life of the tyres you do the alignment" etc etc.

May be put up some photos showing the tread pattern/wear on the tyres and I can advise you further.

Dave.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335 6MT 'vert
I took my car to firestone and they seemed to do it mostly right. They tried to take a read from the steering angle sensor, but the machine was saying incompatible blah blah. When picking up my car,I pointed out that they had the wrong year listed so that could have been the reason

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Bimmer App
Old 01-12-2013, 06:21 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterdale View Post
Hi all,

Yes...this is another tire question coming but from a slightly different angle. My 2009 328i w/sport suspension is going to need tires in the next few months. I am in central Kentucky and typically only drive the car in fair weather.

All that said, the dealers I have had service done at in both Ohio and Kentucky have done a solid job of convincing me that no one but a BMW dealer can install correct tires and perform a proper alignment without doing irreparable damage. I'm sure this is BS and would love to save some cash.

Does anyone know of a non-dealer tire source who could do the right thing the right way in Lexington KY area? My plan is to dump the RFTs and carry a flat kit.

Bottom line - another dumb tire question but specific to the Lexington area (which makes it special). Thanks all.
OK been there done that with 6 BMWs now.

Point of fact .... the dealer sells cars .... is not cost effective selling tires.

Find yourself the best local indy tire shop.

Here in Atlanta it is Kaufman Tire.

Alignment is about $100 bucks and my guys (Kaufmann) offer lifetime along with road hazard $20 per tire and free rotation / balance.

Did I say ....."Don't buy tires from a BMW dealer".

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 01-12-2013, 07:15 PM

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Hi all,

If you HAVE A LEASE BMW will insist that you turn in your car with BMW-approved tires with a certain minimum tread depth. Are you leasing?

As for alignment, yes, BMW has a "particular" alignment procedure which may require "ballasting" the car, or using expensive, and up-to-date alignment equipment. Nevertheless, many indy shops have invested in this equipment.

The dilemma is that if you call any alignment shop and ask them if they can align BMWs...of course all of them will say yes.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 01-13-2013, 09:49 AM
Driver

Thank for all the input. That's what makes this forum so great! I have 30K on my original run-flats and can probably squeeze another 5K out of them 75% highway driving.

Ohio dealer did an alignment 'check' and found everything almost completely within spec. Tires have worn very uniformly although the staggered set-up didn't allow for any rotating so the outside front treads did develop some feathering. Nothing peculiar though.

I appreciate everyone's advice and will be ordering new shoes soon. Any other ideas are welcome!
Old 01-13-2013, 03:28 PM
Driver

Thank for all the input. That's what makes this forum so great! I have 30K on my original run-flats and can probably squeeze another 5K out of them 75% highway driving.

Ohio dealer did an alignment 'check' and found everything almost completely within spec. Tires have worn very uniformly although the staggered set-up didn't allow for any rotating so the outside front treads did develop some feathering. Nothing peculiar though.

I appreciate everyone's advice and will be ordering new shoes soon. Any other ideas are welcome!
Old 01-14-2013, 11:53 AM

Mein Auto: M#x2
Indy shop search

Try bimrs.org or look for a decent independent shop via your local BMWCCA chapter.
I tried the Tirerack recommended thing once...not again.

GL
Old 01-14-2013, 12:52 PM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
I buy my tires from Tirerack.com and then use a local indy BMW shop (all they do is BMWs and have their own machine shop to make custom parts - they are top notch).

Given that - buy your own tires, and find a good indy shop as others have said. Even BMW dealerships can damage your wheels/car when they do work...I've had my car damaged at BMW due to (you guessed it) BMW. People make mistakes and BMW employs people.

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:54 PM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
In my case, I bought tires from TireRack (non RFT) and had the dealer install them. They charge a bit more for installation but I think the alignment was $149, which seems reasonable. When I inquired, the dealer said he'd match TireRacks prices, so perhaps yours will too? That only applies for RFTs though, since the dealer doesn't stock non-RFT (or at least mine didn't.)

I would also trust alignment jobs to a shop that deals a lot with suspension work, especially installing after market suspensions on BMWs. They'd shoot themselves in the foot if they do a shoddy job on the alignment. A lot of places have proper machines but may not follow the alignment TSB that indicates where to place weights during the alignment process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 01-14-2013, 01:59 PM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
You need to check because dealers generally will not install non-RFT's.

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport MPPK/MPE
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV Build Thread
Cobra Coyote First Start.
PAST:
Very, Very Long List
Old 01-14-2013, 02:01 PM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear-avhistory View Post
Interesting! Mine had no qualms about doing so, but I could see how they might want to strongarm you into RFTs. Seems silly though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 01-14-2013, 08:19 PM
David

Mein Auto: E63 M6 & E92 335i
Quote:

I have had my last 3 sets of tires installed at the Ken Towerys on Nicolasville Rd. beside Wendys. I have not had any problems. I ordered the tires from tire rack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear-avhistory View Post
My guess is that our local dealership will not install non-runflats as they will not install any component that is not OEM.

2008 E63 M6 - Black Sapphire - Sepang Bronze Full Merino - Carbon Fiber Trim - Alcantera Headliner - SMG - HUD - Soft Close Doors - Comfort Access - Individual Audio w/Sat and HD Radio
2009 E92 335i - Black Sapphire - Black Dakota - Burl Walnut - Sport - Premium - Cold Weather - Navigation - L7 - Comfort Access - Smoker's Package

Member: BMWCCA #471614
Old 01-18-2013, 06:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 M235i; 94 Mx5 R Pkg.
[QUOTE=pointandgo;7309207]If you HAVE A LEASE BMW will insist that you turn in your car with BMW-approved tires with a certain minimum tread depth. Are you leasing?

/QUOTE]

This comment is wrong. BMW does not insist that you turn in your car with BMW approved tires with a certain minimum tread depth. What actually happens is they will charge $200 for each tire that is not a BMW approved tire with a certain minimum tread depth. For those of us with staggered 18" summer performance tires this is a bargain!!!
ED#4: 3/17/14

2011 335i 6 SPD M-Sport CWP CA HK ETTE Laguna Blue
ED#3: 8/15/11

2011 X3 3.5 HK CWP
PCD#1: 2/11/11

2008 535Xit Slush Box Prem Sport HK CWP CA Monaco Blue
ED#2: 2/16/08

http://picasaweb.google.com/Rich8566...ueFebruary2008

2007 335i 6 SPD Sport CWP HK CA ETTE Montego Blue
ED#1: 7/31/07

http://picasaweb.google.com/Rich8566/335iEDAugust2007
Old 01-18-2013, 06:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointandgo View Post
As for alignment, yes, BMW has a "particular" alignment procedure which may require "ballasting" the car, or using expensive, and up-to-date alignment equipment.
I was told that the ballast was to simulate downforce on the car at 100+ mph speeds, so that the car would be best aligned at those speeds. If you don't do a lot of high speed driving, you can probably get by with an unballasted alignment.

The specs for ballasting the car are published and easy to look up. If you're concerned that your shop won't ballast the car properly, you can do it yourself before you take it for alignment. Tubs of cat litter are a good source of weight. If you have a cat, you'll use the litter eventually. If you don't, donate it to an animal rescue when you're done with it.

Frederic