Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 01-12-2013, 06:49 PM

Mein Auto: To Be Determined
About to pull the trigger on 535i xDrive

Thank you in advance for your input and insight.

My Mercedes C300 lease is up at the end of May so I have been looking for a new car. I drove the 535i xDrive today and I am sold. The MSRP on the car I want is about $65k (tech package, M sport package, cold weather package, multi-contour seats). I still have four remaining payments on my MB at $600/month so BMW offered to do the following:

- Let me build the exact car I want and have it delivered in 8 weeks
- Take over the MB lease for the final two payments
- I pay sales tax and all fees up front for a total of about $5k down
- Monthly payment is $700 per month for 36 months
- 10k miles per annum (all I need based on commute, other cars, etc)

Based on what I have seen either online or at other BMW dealerships, this seems like a pretty good deal. Can anyone confirm that this price is competitive before I let er rip?

Additionally, the wife and I have agreed on jet black for the exterior. I was leaning towards black dakota leather but she wants cinnamon brown dakota leather for the interior. I haven't seen the cinnamon brown in person. Does anyone have this interior (or have seen it) and what is your feedback?

Looking forward to your responses
Ads by Google
Old 01-12-2013, 06:59 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Leasing 101.

Need to know:

Purchase price of car (negotiable)
Money Factor (interest rate)
Residual %
Fees.

Ideally, your payment should be negotiated to less than $1000 over invoice. Go to BMWCONFIG.com and click on "configurator" to get the correct invoice price.

Also...look into Multiple Security Deposits. Basically, you put down a month's payment as a fully fundable security deposit and your money factor gets reduced be .0007 (I think).

When you know all that, get back to us. Otherwise, no idea whether it's a good deal or not.

Cinnamon Brown is aptly named. It is cinnamon / reddish. It is not brown like saddle.

Oh, and one other thing:

I have no idea to this day what those two Italian ladies were singing about. Truth is, I don't want to know. Some things are best left unsaid. I'd like to think they were singing about something so beautiful, it can't be expressed in words, and makes your heart ache because of it. I tell you, those voices soared higher and farther than anybody in a gray place dares to dream. It was like some beautiful bird flapped into our drab little cage and made those walls dissolve away, and for the briefest of moments, every last man in Shawshank felt free.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 01-13-2013, 09:03 AM

Thanks very much for the reply

I used the BMWConfig website and the invoice is actually $58,375 (I double checked the quote and the contour seats were not included making MSRP $63,245). The dealer told me the residual value is 63%. He didn't mention if it was 63% of MSRP or invoice. The dealer said there are upfront fees of about $2k. I don't know the interest rate but I assume it is relatively the same across the board. I have been looking at leasetrader to see what other people are trying to get out of and I haven't seen any monthly payments below $750 for comparably configured cars. I think the deal is pretty solid but I am going to see if I can get them to throw in a spoiler for good measure.

I have black on black now so I think I am going to give the cinnamon a shot.

- Get busy living or get busy dying!
Old 01-13-2013, 09:14 AM
Day dreamer

Mein Auto: DSB 13 535 DSB 14 Z4 35is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks Was Here View Post

I used the BMWConfig website and the invoice is actually $58,375 (I double checked the quote and the contour seats were not included making MSRP $63,245). The dealer told me the residual value is 63%. He didn't mention if it was 63% of MSRP or invoice. The dealer said there are upfront fees of about $2k. I don't know the interest rate but I assume it is relatively the same across the board. I have been looking at leasetrader to see what other people are trying to get out of and I haven't seen any monthly payments below $750 for comparably configured cars. I think the deal is pretty solid but I am going to see if I can get them to throw in a spoiler for good measure.

63% of MSRP. Lease residual is always calculated from MSRP. Try this thread in Bimmerfest to understand the in and out of leasing.. Money factor change every month so you need to find some website that disclose it or head to Edmund forum in their lease section for some answer. For 3yrs/12k mi 63K 535 for $750 seems to be in the ball park. You can use multiple deposit (max of 7 deposit) to lower your payment by 50-60 a month..

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60089
Old 01-13-2013, 09:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F11 530D
It has been discussed overhere not a couple of times.
But why buy a X?
Get yourself a RWD 535 and use dedicated winter and summer tyres.
SAT, Comfort seats and a thicker than standard steeringwheel are the most important extras.
The rest, well you can burn money just as you like, a lot of the hightech electronics are gimmicks, leave them out....
Old 01-13-2013, 03:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535Xi M Sport
Hey Brooks, I'm in the same boat. But my payments came out to $748/ month with 15k miles a yr at 36 months. Same build as yours.. well almost, mine came out to $67,920. I'am getting it at $62,000. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, because I have an Altima that's up in May. Mine will have to be ordered also. Oh, I forgot.. No money down, just taxes, Dmv fee, first payment, and aq fee of $725.

Last edited by DJHomie; 01-13-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 750ix msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisto View Post
It has been discussed overhere not a couple of times.
But why buy a X?
Get yourself a RWD 535 and use dedicated winter and summer tyres.
SAT, Comfort seats and a thicker than standard steeringwheel are the most important extras.
The rest, well you can burn money just as you like, a lot of the hightech electronics are gimmicks, leave them out....
Why do you think he should get a RWD over a X?
OP lives in New Jersey! The X is superior in the winter than a RWD. Also, it's most likely that for every 10 f10's in the dealer lot, only 1 would be RWD. If he ever wanted to get rid of his car or even get his lease taken over, chances of anyone looking at a RWD in Jersery are 1%.
I think the Msport has the thicker steering wheel anyhow..

Retired:
2011 BMW 550ix M-sport
2009 E92 335i M-sport
2006 Acura TL
2004 Mazda 6GT
1987 BMW 325is
Old 01-13-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJHomie View Post
Hey Brooks, I'm in the same boat. But my payments came out to $748/ month with 15k miles a yr at 36 months. Same build as yours.. well almost, mine came out to $67,920. I'am getting it at $62,000. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, because I have an Altima that's up in May. Mine will have to be ordered also. Oh, I forgot.. No money down, just taxes, Dmv fee, first payment, and aq fee of $725.

Your deal seems better than mine lol. What is the total of taxes, DMV fee, first payment and acquisition fee? I am coming out of pocket $5k at signing but it will cover all of those things.

I e-mailed the sales rep and asked him for some add'l facts related to the lease to confirm the terms. I might see if there is any wiggle room in either the up front cash or the payment. I am also looking into the multiple deposit program. If it will lower the payment by $50 per month that's $1,800 over the lease term ($50 x 36 months). If they return all of the money at the end the $1,800 savings on $4,900 they are holding is a massive return (much better than I am getting in a money market account!)

I don't plan on doing multiple wheel set-ups (winter/summer) so the X is a much easier way to go for me.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:08 PM

Does anyone know if the 20" 2013 M5 style 343 wheels and tires will fit the 535i xDrive without any issues? Has anyone seen a 5 series with this set-up?
Old 01-13-2013, 05:52 PM
Can has cheezburger

Mein Auto: 550 M-Sport
Quote:
Does anyone know if the 20" 2013 M5 style 343 wheels and tires will fit the 535i xDrive without any issues? Has anyone seen a 5 series with this set-up?
That's a random question...

I'm sure they "might", but why?

As per your initial question, I'm really shady on any lease that asks you to put a great deal of cash down at the onset. Sales tax and up front fees of $5k? Sounds a bit much, but unless you bring the financial numbers to the table (as Needsdecaf suggested). Likely your monthly rate is lower than what's on leaserate because of how much money you are bringing to the table to buy down the payment.

My gut tells me that you told the CA what your target monthly payment is and they crafted this up to meet it. From my experience (which could be wrong), those aren't great deals.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:57 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieKnight View Post
That's a random question...

I'm sure they "might", but why?

As per your initial question, I'm really shady on any lease that asks you to put a great deal of cash down at the onset. Sales tax and up front fees of $5k? Sounds a bit much, but unless you bring the financial numbers to the table (as Needsdecaf suggested). Likely your monthly rate is lower than what's on leaserate because of how much money you are bringing to the table to buy down the payment.

My gut tells me that you told the CA what your target monthly payment is and they crafted this up to meet it. From my experience (which could be wrong), those aren't great deals.
This.

$2k in "fees" is crap.

Never, ever, do a deal where you don't understand every number.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 01-13-2013, 06:14 PM

I e-mailed the sales rep for the following:

What is the money factor?
What will buy out be at the end of the lease term?
I computed an invoice of $58,375 based on the configuration (invoice
not MSRP) so what is my actual purchase price of the car?
What are the upfront fees and sales tax that I will be paying?

He should get back to me tomorrow and I will provide an update.

I asked about the M5 rims because I have a client looking to sell a set for a good price. If they fit I would purchase them and change the 351M wheels the car comes with. I assume they would fit but will make sure before purchasing.

Thanks again
Old 01-13-2013, 06:22 PM
N54

Mein Auto: E60 535i M-sport
Quote:

If you are not familiar with the basics of leasing, as suggested by your question on whether residuals are based on MSRP or invoice, you really owe it to yourself to understand it. Otherwise you may get by this time via help on this forum, but you will be ripped off every subsequent purchase/lease the rest of your life.

Here's a very quick primer: CLICK

Here are what the taxes and fees in NJ should look like (you would either pay upfront or roll it into the payment, but not both):

Sales Tax: 7% of the lease payments
Luxury surcharge: 0.4% of the selling price or gross cap cost
Reg, Title & License: ~$260
BMW Financial Services LAF (Lease Acq Fee aka Bank Fee): $725
Old 01-13-2013, 06:37 PM

Only my second lease so I am not very versed on the calculations.

Thanks for the link, once I have the additional information from the dealership I will be able to ascertain how "good" the terms offered really are.

Appreciate the assistance.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Your deal seems better than mine lol. What is the total of taxes, DMV fee, first payment and acquisition fee? I am coming out of pocket $5k at signing but it will cover all of those things.

I e-mailed the sales rep and asked him for some add'l facts related to the lease to confirm the terms. I might see if there is any wiggle room in either the up front cash or the payment. I am also looking into the multiple deposit program. If it will lower the payment by $50 per month that's $1,800 over the lease term ($50 x 36 months). If they return all of the money at the end the $1,800 savings on $4,900 they are holding is a massive return (much better than I am getting in a money market account!)

I don't plan on doing multiple wheel set-ups (winter/summer) so the X is a much easier way to go for me.
$4500 drive off..That includes..
$748 first month
$725 bank fee
$300 DMV Fee
$299 Doc Fee
$2424 Taxes

Last edited by DJHomie; 01-13-2013 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:49 PM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
What is "bank fee?" That seems bogus. Also, no need to pre-pay taxes (unless your state forces you to). In most states, you pay tax on a monthly basis and the tax is based on the monthly payment (because you are taxed on the depreciation, not the full price).

A doc fee of $299 is fine as long as you know it is straight dealer profit and not required and you are getting the vehicle within about $400 of invoice before any incentives are applied.

DMV is whatever it is in your state to register so it is unavoidable.

-Corey

See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry
Old 01-13-2013, 07:50 PM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Ah, bank fee is the BMW fee and yeah that is required, but I had that rolled into the lease.

-Corey

See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry
Old 01-13-2013, 09:19 PM
N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordoor View Post
Also, no need to pre-pay taxes (unless your state forces you to). In most states, you pay tax on a monthly basis and the tax is based on the monthly payment (because you are taxed on the depreciation, not the full price).
NY and NJ both tax upfront.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985mb View Post
NY and NJ both tax upfront.
It's not mandatory, but I choose to pay upfront.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:16 AM
N54

Quote:
It's not mandatory, but I choose to pay upfront.
I'm pretty sure it is, hence your choices are to pay upfront or capitalize it into the lease.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:48 AM

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Quote:
Thank you in advance for your input and insight.

My Mercedes C300 lease is up at the end of May so I have been looking for a new car. I drove the 535i xDrive today and I am sold. The MSRP on the car I want is about $65k (tech package, M sport package, cold weather package, multi-contour seats). I still have four remaining payments on my MB at $600/month so BMW offered to do the following:

- Let me build the exact car I want and have it delivered in 8 weeks
- Take over the MB lease for the final two payments
- I pay sales tax and all fees up front for a total of about $5k down
- Monthly payment is $700 per month for 36 months
- 10k miles per annum (all I need based on commute, other cars, etc)

Based on what I have seen either online or at other BMW dealerships, this seems like a pretty good deal. Can anyone confirm that this price is competitive before I let er rip?

Additionally, the wife and I have agreed on jet black for the exterior. I was leaning towards black dakota leather but she wants cinnamon brown dakota leather for the interior. I haven't seen the cinnamon brown in person. Does anyone have this interior (or have seen it) and what is your feedback?

Looking forward to your responses

Brook - Listen to decaf and don't post pieces. Here is what you should post, and feel free to copy and paste into your next post.

MSRP - (on your build)
Invoice Price- (BMWconfig invoice price on your build)
Sales Price before Incentives - (What is the sales price of the car?)
Incentives - (Are they applying any incentives)
Final Sales Price - (What is the sales price after applying the incentives)
Money factor -
Aq Fee -
Dealer Fees -
Taxes (if paid up front)
Total Due at signing.
Final payment without taxes

Give all the details in one concise post and the festers will help!

Last edited by miamiboyca; 01-14-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:08 PM
Mr Real Estate

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 535i Xdrive
I am not sure if it is a good deal, it wasn't a good deal a month ago though...I got in the last minute for the $2,000 holiday credit and my car that is being built.

MSRP: $66,895
Invoice is $61,700.
Selling price: $61,800
39 month lease
12,000 miles/year
$665/month payment
Money factor: 0.00125
residual is 58%
Drive off: $3,790.50. (includes taxes and all fees)

So your $748/month for less miles IMHO seems high granted I am saving $2,000 but also your MSRP is a lot lower. I will let others decide if the deal you are getting is good but I don't know seems high no?
Old 01-14-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselNY View Post
I am not sure if it is a good deal, it wasn't a good deal a month ago though...I got in the last minute for the $2,000 holiday credit and my car that is being built.

MSRP: $66,895
Invoice is $61,700.
Selling price: $61,800
39 month lease
12,000 miles/year
$665/month payment
Money factor: 0.00125
residual is 58%
Drive off: $3,790.50. (includes taxes and all fees)

So your $748/month for less miles IMHO seems high granted I am saving $2,000 but also your MSRP is a lot lower. I will let others decide if the deal you are getting is good but I don't know seems high no?
Well my MSRP is actually higher than your. I also have it for less time, and more miles than you do. And for every thousand it adds $30 to the monthly payment.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:15 PM
Mr Real Estate

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 535i Xdrive
Quote:
Well my MSRP is actually higher than your. I also have it for less time, and more miles than you do. And for every thousand it adds $30 to the monthly payment.
Ahh sorry I confused your car with the one Brooks first mention which had an msrp of around $65,000.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
Old 01-14-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselNY View Post
Ahh sorry I confused your car with the one Brooks first mention which had an msrp of around $65,000.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
No problem.. I kinda figured that..