Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: a car
Talking Help me strip out some options from my build

Guys, I have a quote pending from a broker on the 328i x-drive. I know I over built the car and it's going to come back over my budget. I even had them get prices with US v. ED maybe I can save a few bucks and go on vacation!

Here's what I submitted... take a look and help me narrow down some options. Don't just say "get rid of this you don't need it" help me understand why I really don't need or want it.

2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sedan ($38,850) ($53,725 with options)
+Sport Line ($2,500)
+Mineral Grey Metallic ($550)
+Cold Weather Package ($950)
+Dynamic Handling Package ($1,000)
+Lighting Package ($900)
+Premium Package ($3100)
+Technology Package ($3100)
+Sport Automatic Transmission with Paddles ($500)
+Harman Kardon Sound System ($875)
+Automatic High Beams ($250)
+Park Distance Control ($750)
+Rear-View Camera ($400)
Advertisement
Old 01-12-2013, 07:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by exl_ent_v6 View Post
($53,725 with options)
Is that the price they're giving you?

Because I got a fully loaded 335 sport for a less than that after I negotiated my deal.

Only difference is that I didn't go with auto high beams and I got heated seats instead of the cold weather package. Plus, I didn't go with AWD either of course.

But I basically got all the same stuff in a 335 RWD for less.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:35 PM
Vector Pilot

Mein Auto: 2014 Z4 28i
Delete:
-Premium Package ($3100)
-Technology Package ($3100)
-Automatic High Beams ($250)
-Park Distance Control ($750)
-Rear-View Camera ($400)
-Cold Weather Package ($950)

Add
Heated Seats ($500) Heated front seats yes, do you really need heated rear seats and a steering wheel?
Navigation ($2150) Delete excessive electronics

I'm not going to offer a rational for my recommendation, just common sense, you're looking at a Sport Line, keep it simple, it's a driver's car!

Highest Regards

Last edited by Vector Pilot; 01-12-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:46 PM

Mein Auto: a car
Quote:
Originally Posted by krash View Post
Is that the price they're giving you?

Because I got a fully loaded 335 sport for a less than that after I negotiated my deal.

Only difference is that I didn't go with auto high beams and I got heated seats instead of the cold weather package. Plus, I didn't go with AWD either of course.

But I basically got all the same stuff in a 335 RWD for less.
No that's MSRP... I haven't heard back from my broker with a price yet, either way I'll be leasing..
Old 01-12-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
No that's MSRP... I haven't heard back from my broker with a price yet, either way I'll be leasing..
Ok, I was able to get all the goodies I wanted by negotiating the price down. Plan B for me was to go with Luxury instead of sport, drop DHP and Sport Transmission w/paddle shifters. That would have saved me about $1800 and honestly, I would have been perfectly ok with luxury vs sport if it came down to that. Plan C was to go down to a 328. Fortunately, Plan A worked out for me.

If you're leasing, you still want to focus on bringing the overall cost down first.

I got a lot of fantastic tips on the 'fest.

truecar.com and bmwconfig.com are excellent tools. You can configure your car on those, and they'll spit back fair prices for both yourself and the dealer. Take the information you get on those sites, and ask dealers if they'll match.

Definitely don't ask them how much it will cost. They always start at MSRP. You should tell them what you're willing to deal on. That's how I did it, and I got a couple great offers.

To be fair, you need to throw them a bone. Don't ask for a deal at invoice or below invoice. I'm perfectly ok with them making money on the deal, but I definitely won't pay MSRP. Your goal should be to close a deal that is much closer to the invoice price than the MSRP price. That's what I did.

Also, out of all those options you listed, the obvious are cold weather package and auto high beams. I'd drop auto high beams and go with heated seats instead of cold weather package.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:07 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Guys, I have a quote pending from a broker on the 328i x-drive. I know I over built the car and it's going to come back over my budget. I even had them get prices with US v. ED maybe I can save a few bucks and go on vacation!

Here's what I submitted... take a look and help me narrow down some options. Don't just say "get rid of this you don't need it" help me understand why I really don't need or want it.

+Sport Line ($2,500)
+Lighting Package ($900)
+Premium Package ($3100)
+Rear-View Camera ($400)
You live on Long Island, no need to option your car like you live in Antarctica. My advice:

Kill:

- XDrive
- Cold Weather Package
- Harmon Kardon
- Auto High Beams

Add:

+ Heated Seats

Rationale:

* A good set of snow tires and RWD is sufficient for your climate. I've lived in New Hampshire and now Bergen County, AWD is overkill here. We only get 2-3 rough days; snow tires are just fine for the typical 1" of snow on those days. I have a second car, almost regret even getting the snow tires on my RWD 328i.

* Not sure if you are aware, but the standard audio system on the F30 in the USA is the "premium" audio system they get in Europe and pay extra for. It is very, very good, and while I haven't heard the HK system I can't see how its worth $875 if you're trying to trim things back.

* Again, in your climate, you don't need the full Cold Weather Package. Just get the heated seats and be done with it.

* Auto high beams? Unless you live in a very dark area with no street lighting, this is unnecessary. I put on my high beams maybe 2x a week because the xenon's are so damn good, just don't need them unless I'm in pitch black conditions, certainly don't need them to function automatically.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 01-12-2013, 08:11 PM

Yeah, I'd definitely kill xdrive too. That's $2k right there...
Old 01-12-2013, 08:17 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Drop the xDrive and you save $1,000 -- $2,000 less $1,000 for a good set of dedicated winter wheels and tires; plus your summer tires last longer. Since you would the get the sport suspension on your rwd Sport line car many folks would say you'd be fine to drop the DHP and save another $1,000. Drop the auto high beams. $2,250 saved. Do you really, really want/need HUD?

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 01-12-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:24 PM

I'm actually going to be bold and say you can drop xdrive, and not even get the snow tires. I guess I might be in a unique situation though. If I really had to drive in the snow, I wouldn't take my car anyway. I'd use my wife's SUV.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
I'm actually going to be bold and say you can drop xdrive, and not even get the snow tires. I guess I might be in a unique situation though. If I really had to drive in the snow, I wouldn't take my car anyway. I'd use my wife's SUV.
Agree there too.

Knowing Long Island like the back of my hand, there are very few hilly areas that would warrant XDrive, so unless he commutes and/or takes upstate road trips and/or only has one car in the famliy there's no reason for it.

Snow tires too, I am beginning to realize. I've got a FWD minivan on snow tires, and for the 3 days this winter I actually would have to drive in the white stuff I could just use the wife's car and not put winter rubber on my F30 either.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 01-12-2013, 09:09 PM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
On packages v. selected stand-alone options, I defer to those above who are more familiar with the F30. For the rest, these jump out at me:
Quote:
+Rear-View Camera ($400)
Auto high beams are largely pointless, as noted. If you want to trim some fat, a good place to start is a $250 gadget to do something you've probably done almost without thought since you learned to drive.

Save another $1,150 and dump the parking aids. Yes, the salesman or someone else will probably trot out a "think of the children" line about safety. To that I say, you are buying a sport sedan with excellent visibility, not a truck with blind spots the size of Montana. Unless you have a history of close calls (or worse), continue to trust your ability and awareness--you're not going to start suddenly plowing into obstacles and small children if you forgo those options.

(On the other hand, if you truly are a menace when parking & reversing, by all means please ignore me and leave those two on your build sheet! )

N47° 35' 30.13" E11° 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA
Old 01-12-2013, 09:49 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
drop everything but HK, sport auto and leather.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:23 PM

Mein Auto: '13 335i xDrive Msport
Quote:

+Sport Line ($2,500)
+Lighting Package ($900)
+Premium Package ($3100)
+Rear-View Camera ($400)
Assumption:
-You're not buying the car, or you're not planning on keeping it long-term and you are willing to compromise on certain features.

My suggestion is:

1. Drop Technology Package - if you're not crazy about the HUD: it looks cool and all, and 4 years down the lane, every sedan might be equipped with it, but it's not all that functional. You can get the NAV as a stand-alone or just make do with a Garmin-style GPS.. Smartphone integration is not too exciting.. You may have your own smartphone, just use a basic AUX cable and enjoy your ipod/iPhone/Android..

2. Drop Premium Package - If you're not crazy about the lumbar support, and don't have a back problem/bad back.. I am crazy about lumbar support, and I am going to keep my car for as long as I can, so I have this package.. I already had leather.. I have lumbar support in my Altima as standard option, so I'm not letting this one go.. I can't drive without lumbar support - I took a rental over the new year eve and the car didn't have lumbar, I was freaking out on my way to and back from Raleigh.. the most uncomfortable drive.. I doubt you would like to pay for the Sat radio.. Comfort Access Keyless entry... umm I'd take it if it were free, but no, I wouldn't pay for it.. not all that moolah!

3. Drop HK - if you're not an audiophile. I am - and I need the best sound quality, I need music all the time.. and I cannot drive for long distances if I don't have good music.. that's it.. so I have HK..

4. Drop Cold Weather Package - if you can live with not having heated steering wheel. I have Cold Weather Package and I am crazy about heated steering wheel. I don't care about rear heating much, might be good for my parents when they come visit me, but it's in the package.. so I got the package.

5. Drop x-Drive - if you have enough place to store 4 wheels when the other 4 are being used, and are comfortable swapping out tires before and after winter season - if you have snow (I am kind of geographically challenged and have no idea how much snow - if any - do you get at your place). And if you drive in a sporty fashion, you might feel your rear fish out a little when making fast lane changes/turns on wet/snowy roads on non-snow tires.. - without x-Drive : this is the only regret of my dear friend has, who owns an E92 RWD .. Not taking this option will also let you keep your sport suspension if you go with Sport or M-Sport line, and lower the ride height - if it matters to you.

6. Drop Auto High Beams - they're cool.. not too great.. but they don't cost much as well..

I would not suggest you to:

1. Drop DHP: I have said it somewhere else, and I have read it numerous times on boards, this option alone gives your car - same 1 car - 4 flavors of driving. If you don't take this option, all that would change with the button on the middle would be your throttle and steering response - not suspension - and the suspension makes a hell lot of difference in driving..

2. Sport line - The name of the line is self-explanatory. If you like sport look, sport feel, take sport line. If you just need a daily driver, and don't care about sport feel (hinting at 4 flavors), then take modern, luxury or no-line based on what line suits you. Sport line also gives you sport suspension, which a lot of people dig.. seriously!

3. Rear-View camera: This is becoming a necessity - with the parking spaces reducing every day and more cars coming onto the streets, with your car being used as daily driver and squeezing into and out of tight parking spots, I think this one is a necessity. You can skip on it, if this is going to be your weekend ride..

4. Leather : Cmon dude, whats a classy sport sedan without leather? - thats my opinion.. :P

All the above are depending on your choice/way of life, as it is you who is ultimately going to drive it. You know the best what you can and what you cannot live without.. You are the best judge.. If you have any questions about what is the use of each feature, feel free to ask.. you'll get everyone's opinions, facts and experiences..

And let us know what you finally order..

Cheers,
Rohit

Last edited by Crzy'boutBimmer; 01-12-2013 at 10:37 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 01-12-2013, 10:34 PM

And for the price of all options, you're being quoted the MSRP.
Go to bmwconfig.com -> configurator : build your car and see the invoice price that your dealer would be paying on the options. You can negotiate on that price, keep dealer profit as X, and offer your dealer invoice + X as final price (excluding taxes and fees).

If you are doing ED, you can get the same car for cheaper - US invoice is higher than ED invoice..
Don't buy at MSRP.. if you don't get a good enough deal with your current dealer, shop around.. check out board sponsors..

Good Luck!
Old 01-13-2013, 03:41 AM

Mein Auto: 5
Quote:
+Sport Automatic Transmission with Paddles ($500) You can just use the shifter
+Harman Kardon Sound System ($875)At this point base stereo is good enough
+Automatic High Beams ($250)Really? How often do you use high beams?
+Park Distance Control ($750) Just turn your head when you park.
+Rear-View Camera ($400)ditto
And maybe get just the NAV instead of Tech package
Old 01-13-2013, 06:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i
Quote:

+Sport Line ($2,500)
+Lighting Package ($900)
+Premium Package ($3100)

+Rear-View Camera ($400)
I'd skip the highlighted ones.

2014 328i / Liquid Blue / Beige Leatherette / 4 DR / 6 MT / Moonroof / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 12K+ Miles / Bought 10-16-2013
2003 325i / Gray Green / Beige Leatherette / 4 DR / 5 MT / Moonroof / 219K+ Miles / Bought 12-21-2002 / Sold 10-21-2013
1998 Civic EX / Vogue Silver / Gray / 4 DR / 5 MT / 122K+ Miles / Bought 12-30-1997 / Totaled 08-2002
1988 Sentra / Gray / Gray / 2 DR / 4 MT / 190K+ Miles / Bought 06-1994 @ 120K+ Miles / Died 12-1997
Old 01-13-2013, 06:49 AM

One thing I'm adamanat about is that nowadays, if you're going to spend $45k+ (or even $40k+) for a car, there are certain things that are required.

Otherwise, people with Malibus and Sentras will be driving around in cars with stuff you don't have. Sure you'll get performance characteristcis with a 328 or 335 that you'll never get with those cars, but things like a rear view camera and nav???? It's 2013, I can't see how anyone would buy a $40k car without things like that.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:57 AM

Mein Auto: 5
Quote:

Otherwise, people with Malibus . . . will be driving around in cars with stuff you don't have.
Doubt it. I have been cursed with rental Malibus. They have 1 car charger and 1 speaker.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony_trekker View Post
Doubt it. I have been cursed with rental Malibus. They have 1 car charger and 1 speaker.
WRONG!

Rental cars are 1 thing, but you can get a nav and rear view camera now in the Malibu and cars like the Nissan Sentra, Ford Focus, and other cars on the bottom rung.

EDIT: Sort of embarrassing to be driving around in a $45,000 car without a Nav and rear view camera, and then someone pulls up next to you in a Chevy Malibu and has that stuff...

Last edited by krash; 01-13-2013 at 07:12 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:12 AM
Abuser of everything

Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
It depends on what you value. I don't value gadgets.

A lot of the optional stuff is standard on a 335i (Xenon, sunroof).

I would scrap the whole thing and get a Silver 335i Sport, Coral-red leather, no paddles but with heated seats. 47695$ to start with. Lucky you because they want 55000$ here.

Last edited by Saintor; 01-13-2013 at 07:29 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony_trekker View Post
And maybe get just the NAV instead of Tech package
The only difference with 'Sport Automatic with paddles' is not just the paddles, the transmission changes as well - from Steptronic to Sport Automatic. And from what experiences people have posted on the board, Sport automatic is slightly quicker than Steptronic. There is no official difference posted by BMW between Steptronic and Sport Automatic, though.. the behavior of bmw in this case is almost like a parent's when asked which child is the best .

Sport automatic is a no-brainer with Sport line, I guess, esp. with the experiences on the board .. the OP would go for Sport line if he wants the Sport look and feel, so he should get Sport Auto transmission as well.. he's already around $45k... makes no sense in saving 500 and missing out on good driving experience.. IMO
Old 01-13-2013, 07:38 AM

Mein Auto: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
It depends on what you value. I don't value gadgets.

A lot of the optional stuff is standard on a 335i (Xenon, sunroof).

I would scrap the whole thing and get a Silver 335i Sport, Coral-red leather, no paddles but with heated seats. 47695$ to start with.
Amen to the above. My 2c below:

I think it is a simple evaluation of value here when considering purchase/lease of a car. To me, putting too many options on a car starts eroding its "value for money" factor. A loaded to the gills 328i would effectively drive and feel much like a lightly optioned 328i, and is imo not worth the extra $15k spent.

Take that gadget laden Malibu mentioned above. If you load one up fully, you'll get an MSRP of ~$34000, but of course you cannot even compare this loaded Malibu with a base 328i. I would spend the extra 3-4k on minimally optioned 328i every single time, because while there might be a few more bells and whistles in the Malibu, EVERYTHING about the 3er is better (performance, design, fuel efficiency, driving feel). This is because the 328 is in a whole another CLASS, so every single little detail about the car is superior to the Malilbu.

So my philosophy is to either: 1. keep it cheap by sticking to lightly optioned cars, or
2. spend the extra to get a lightly optioned version of the next class up. So if I find myself pricing out a 328i with lots of options, I would start considering getting a 5 series instead, since you're going spend nearly that much more money anyway on a heavily optioned F30.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtb001 View Post
Amen to the above. My 2c below:

I think it is a simple evaluation of value here when considering purchase/lease of a car. To me, putting too many options on a car starts eroding its "value for money" factor. A loaded to the gills 328i would effectively drive and feel much like a lightly optioned 328i, and is imo not worth the extra $15k spent.

Take that gadget laden Malibu mentioned above. If you load one up fully, you'll get an MSRP of ~$34000, but of course you cannot even compare this loaded Malibu with a base 328i. I would spend the extra 3-4k on minimally optioned 328i every single time, because while there might be a few more bells and whistles in the Malibu, EVERYTHING about the 3er is better (performance, design, fuel efficiency, driving feel). This is because the 328 is in a whole another CLASS, so every single little detail about the car is superior to the Malilbu.

So my philosophy is to either: 1. keep it cheap by sticking to lightly optioned cars, or
2. spend the extra to get a lightly optioned version of the next class up. So if I find myself pricing out a 328i with lots of options, I would start considering getting a 5 series instead, since you're going spend nearly that much more money anyway on a heavily optioned F30.
Interesting. I actually take the exact opposite approach. Rather than getting a stripped down 5, I'd opt for fully loaded 3.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:59 AM

Mein Auto: 328i
Quote:
Interesting. I actually take the exact opposite approach. Rather than getting a stripped down 5, I'd opt for fully loaded 3.
Well that may not be the best example since both the 3 and 5 are extremely nice cars, and now that the F30 is so roomy inside, you can make the argument to choose the 3 over the 5 based on other factors.

Still, everytime I walk through a parking lot and see a loaded to the gills Malibu/Fusion/Accord etc, I'm still dumbfounded. If you're already going to drop 30K+ on a car, why not just plunk down a few more grand and get a base BMW/Acura/Infiniti. I know the insurance and premium gas will also cost more during ownership, but the up-leveled car is just SO MUCH better.

To be fair, the modern midsize volume selling sedan are great cars. I seriously considered the newly redesigned Accord and Altima while I was shopping for me new car. However, a big part of their greatness is their value for money, which goes out the window once you start throwing in options. If I had decided to buy an Accord instead, I would have gotten a lightly optioned example as well.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
One thing I'm adamanat about is that nowadays, if you're going to spend $45k+ (or even $40k+) for a car, there are certain things that are required.

Otherwise, people with Malibus and Sentras will be driving around in cars with stuff you don't have. Sure you'll get performance characteristcis with a 328 or 335 that you'll never get with those cars, but things like a rear view camera and nav???? It's 2013, I can't see how anyone would buy a $40k car without things like that.
Exactly.

To get an F30 without the Technology Package is absolutely criminal. It makes the car. Those who say they don't need it are normally those who shouldn't be driving a BMW anyway, people who can't afford the $50,000 version and strip it down to nothing just for the sake of the badge.

Quote:
Agree again. If I was on a specific budget, there's no way I would choose a stripped 5 Series over a loaded 3 Series. BMWs are not called the ultimate driving machine for nothing. Part of that experience has to do with all the technology, all the comfort features, all of the sophistication in the details. Buying a stripped BMW of any sort is a foolish exercise. Go buy yourself a fully loaded Honda, you'll enjoy it more.

BJ